Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apple_2007

Star or Pink Jasmine, what is it ? why no growth?

apple_2007
16 years ago

Hmm,., I am getting really concerned! I have this new star jasmine plant (obtained as gift), since 2 weeks, from the local nursery. I took good care about sun and water and I was rewarded with new buds and new foliage in the first week. I was actually told by the nursery lady to let it remain in the pot for this year, but unfortunately that pot broke and so I had to shift the plant to a new plastic (bigger) pot in the second week. I am taking every care that I had previously, but the flower buds which already grew to almost half to flowers less than 4 days then, now after transplanting, are taking forever (more than a week) to grow the remainder or open up!! Instead they are turning pinker day by day (but definitely not dying)!! This was supposed to be a star jasmine, not a pink jasmine (even the nursery guy confirms it)!! Can any body tell me if I am missing something here?? Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• scenter
    16 years ago

Apple 2007:

It is not uncommon for a plant to stall for a few weeks when repotted, they will even drop buds/leaves if they were roughly handled. It sounds like your plant is doing fine from your description, just don't stress it further.

What do the leaves look like on the plant you have? Are they rounded, almost circular, fairly thick and shiny, about 1" across, or are they longer and feathery with about 8 leaflets making up one 'feather'?

Star Jasmin(e) (Trachelospermum jasminoides, Confederate Jasmin) has the first kind, and is not a true jasmin botanically speaking.

Pink Jasmin(e) (Jasminum polyanthum) has the second kind of leaves.

A pic would help to ID it easier. Any chance of that?

• maisa
    16 years ago

IÂve had a star jasmine plant 2 weeks ago. It looks great in that time. I put it in my west side screening porch in its pot for 2 days and it did well . Then I moved it to the inside in a part shade place after few days all its flowers dried and dropped. so, I returned it back to the west side. But after that some of the leaves turned brown and dry then fall down .Also, I did water it 3 times during the 2 weeks . Please tell me what happen to my plant ?and what can I do ?

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Maisa,

Like scenter said, plants will drop flowers and leaves in response to changing light/water conditions, or being moved about. Find a spot with at least 4 hours of direct sun, with maybe some shade in the afternoon depending on your zone and how hot it gets, and don't move it around more.

Jasmines need to stay moist when they've flowering, so I'm guessing three waterings in two weeks isn't enough, but give us more details and we'll be able to give more help. Just don't pour on the water and fertilizer to try to get the plant to bounce back; you'll only stress the plant more!

Jim

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

I recently bought a variegated Star Jasmine (3 wks back)and the same thing happened to me. It lost all its buds/flowers and dropped quite a few leaves..I've since placed in an upstairs bathroom, west window and since discovered new growth..Patience is the key..Once you find 'the' spot, keep in the same place..don't move around. Since Jasmine likes humidity, and sun, I found placing in the bathroom w/other jasmines does the trick.
    Make sure the soil you repotted in isn't too heavy..even though jasmines like semi-moist soil during flowering, they don't like constant wet feet.
    I'm into misting, so when not in flower/bud they get a daily misting, plus when I'm in the shower, I reach out, grab a plant and hose under water..this helps w/humidity and keep leaves clean..I do NOT believe in using leaf shine..Give the plant time and it should do well. Toni