Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Gardenia Bloom!!!

Posted by GrnThum Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 11:46

I am so excited!! My first bloom of the season on my gardenia! I've had this plant for 2 months and this is the first time it is blooming under my care, there are more buds forming and the scent is unbelievable!

Here's a pic. I will post more pics as more buds bloom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Gardenia Bloom!!!

What a thrill! I love the way gardenia flowers are set off my the shiny green leaves. Congratulations, and hopes for many years of blooms.

o

Is it a Veitchii? Nice! :o)

o

Thanks. it's not veitchii, it's jasminoides. I wonder why the flowers are small though.

o

Sam

That is so beautiful!!!! Worth my visit to this thread.

Bravo and thanks for sharing! I know the work you put into that plant.

Mike

o

Thanks Mike! Glad you stopped by to look! Sure is a lot of work, but it pays off!

o

Sadly, that was the only bloom I got on this gardenia. It is very healthy and green and has grown a lot since the above pic. I guess temperatures are too hot now for any more blooming, but I hope it will bloom for me in the fall.

o

GrnThumb, my gardenias (Zone 6, St Louis) have been blooming and setting buds constantly since about April. They are still setting new buds, tho I suppose they may stop at any time.

Mine get full sun out on a hottt deck and plenty of water (they are potbound in 12" clay pots).

I've read that gardenias only set buds at times of short days (fall and spring), but that hasn't been so for me this year.

Light is often the culprit when plants don't bloom. Try giving it more sun.

o

Hello everyone!

Mine too are still blooming. The thing I can't seem to figure out is that although healthy, mine never all bloom at once and are completely full of blooms.

If I have a plant with 30 buds, only 4 or so will open then die to be replaced by a few more and that is it. Weird I would say.

I guess beggars can't be choosers. I am not asking for much.

MIke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here