Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Mysore Mulli Jasmine 'stick' from TT

Back in February I received a tiny Jasminum sambac 'Mysore Mulli' from TT nursery in FL. Like a fool (I'm taking some responsibility here) I immediately shook off the existing soil and repotted using the 5:1:1 mixture for fear of over watering during winter. The root system looked healthy even though the plant was tiny. By March all the leaves had fallen off and ever since I've been watching for signs of life. Maybe I'm going crazy but I believe tiny protrusions are developing where I'm hoping eventually leaves will sprout.

Anybody have any experience with dormant jasmines and how long I have to wait before admitting defeat and giving up and kicking myself for wasting $29 for a stick?

I keep it in full sun (and brought it in when the nights were cold) and try to keep the soil moist but not water logged.

My partner thinks I'm a fool for spending so much on a dead plant.

-Robert

Comments (16)

• mehitabel
    12 years ago

Hi, Robert. I don't know if your plant is really dead or not, but if the stem is still green, it should be still alive. Tiny protrusions sounds pretty good to me. From a severe cutback, I'd say maybe 6-7 weeks. This time of year, with nights warming up, could be less.

Also, I appreciate the update on TT's plant policies. I was just about to relent and go back there to look again. Last summer I got a 6" sprig of artabotrys stuck in a one-gallon pot. So you're in good company. I'm resolved not to buy there any more.

I'm afraid the TT policies are spreading. My last shipment from Aloha Tropicals was also 6" sprigs, but at least they were in 4" pots instead of gallon.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, mehitabel. I don't know if the stem is green or not. I might gently scrape the bark and check the cambium.
    It's frustrating since there doesn't seem to be any good sources for rare jasmines out there. I got a Jasminum molle from them also in February and it was a good size plant so no complaints. The Mysore Mulli was a crying shame though. If it's dead I hope I've learned my lesson and not bother with TT again.

• bunti
    12 years ago

I have bought 2 mysore mulli from TT a year ago. One of them turned to maid of orleans. I have sent a email but response. I have got artabotrys also from TT for $70 with no shipping. its very small plant. But it died. I have never got any response from TT.

TT is a good source for non rare plants. If you are looking for rare varieties, TT is not a good source.

My Jasmines are dying one by one. 2 of my jasminums are dead. Now its mysore mulli's turn. slowly its drying out. I don't know what to do.

• kemistry
    12 years ago

I lost my only plant from TT this year, a $37 duke supreme, but it was due to my improper caring skills. It dropped all the leaves and died back to 1", roots looked healthy but that annoyed me so much that I tossed it out. (lol)

My regular duke, which I bought from Accents, is doing so much better. It survived the Winter and is now growing.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Bunti,

Have you changed out your soil yet? It would be a shame to lose your jasmines. My Belle of India from Pepper's Greenhouse just opened a bloom today and it smells divine.
    I hope you take action before it's too late!

-Robert

• flowers_galore
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Jasmines take a long time. Remember until recently it is the winter. Also remember my GDS from TT.. It was 1 inch tall. stayed that way for 6 months. Just recently it is growing. Don't toss them away. My twig from Aloha also dried out. I did not change the soil as it was winter, let it be. Now it started to grow and I have changed the soil to 511 mix.
    Kandhi,
    search 511 mix in the container forum and you can make your own mix. I am really sorry to hear,( including my own personal experience) that these nurseries trying to cheat good people and return customers.

• flowers_galore
    12 years ago

And Robert,
    I forgot to mention... Don't scrape the cambium. If it is live plant you will only stress it out. As it is almost akin to girdling for a small plant.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, radhavall. Last night I gently nicked the stem towards the top (that way if I did any serious damage it wouldn't kill the base). I believe it's still alive and you're right...I'm just going to have to be patient which of course is hard for my instant gratification self. :)

-Robert

• kemistry
    12 years ago

I second the 511 soil suggestion, it's very easy to make and cheap too Bunti. I'm glad to finally switch to that soil.

• flowers_galore
    12 years ago

Sorry the above post should read Bunti, not Kandhi.
    Plant them in 511 mix as soon as possible. The only down side is you may need to water it more frequently depending on your weather and heat.

• bunti
    12 years ago

Where to get 511 mix or how to prepare 511 mix.

Before winter starts, i change the soil to miracle grow potting soil and and kept all the plants inside. Do i need to change the soil again now?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi bunti,

The 5:1:1 is a recipe for a soiless mixture that you make yourself. If you search 511 on this site you'll get several results but this one is a good start-

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0521151724775.html

I think the issue maybe when you're changing your potting soil. Your jasmines are going into dormancy with the shorter days of fall so repotting before bringing them in might be the issue. I leave them in the soil they've been growing in all summer for the winter and only repot in spring when active growth begins again (and keep them on the dryer side so that I won't over water during winter).
    I'm sure other people smarter than me will chime in but I'm guessing your new soil is too wet during the winter which is killing the roots.

-Robert

• Pokala
    12 years ago

I bought 4 different plants from TT - JS maid of orleans, Belle of India, Grand Duke and Jasmine nitidum and all survived. Maid of orleans and grand duke - I bought them last year and they are doing good this year. belle of india and nitidum got them last month. They are also doing good. I do not see any problem with TT. The packing is good and I suggest TT for my local friends here.

• rsweetie_rocketmail_com
    12 years ago

I too received a twig of Mysore mulli from TT in Nov. I waited with patience while also doubting on the survival of the plant. It started developing tiny protrusions late in Jan, & I was just crossing my fingers. It has got back it leaves now and is growing slowly. I guess it is still 3" in size with new leaves though.
    My other jasmines bloomed early in spring, like the maid of Orleans, Arabian Jasmine, & Belle from Logees. However, the major set back came when I noticed something strange with my Belle from Almost Eden. It was giving out buds which did not house fragrant flowers rather they were white fruiting bodies.It was finally concluded that the plant I received was a male. However, the guys at Almost Eden were so co-operative that they finally reimbursed the money I spent on it.
    I would highly recommend this nursery for buying tropical plants although it was my bad luck with the Belle.

Lastly, I'd be glad if someone could provide me the answer to the following question.
    For how long can plants be allowed to grow in the 5:1:1 mix before having to change the soil again?

Good Luck to all
    SR

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi sweetierose,

Thanks for your Mysore Mulli info. I guess I should feel fortunate that my stick is 4 1/2 inches tall! ;)
    Still no leaves but everyone's input has been very helpful.
    It probably got too cold when it was shipped from FL.
    If it does leaf out I'll take a pic of it next to my Jasminum molle (which has a flower bud that is about to open!). The molle must be far hardier since it's doing great. I'm very happy with that purchase.

I wanted to purchase Almost Eden's Belle of India since it's supposed to be more like Mysore Mulli but I waited too long and they sold out. Guess there's always next year!

As for your when to change your 5:1:1 mix Al has stated it should last 2 to 3 years but I'm sure most plants would benefit from having the soil changed every spring. I guess you'll just have to monitor when you water and see how quickly the water is passing through the soil and see if your plants are still growing.

-Robert

Original Author
    12 years ago

There is a seller on eBay (dhanstudio) that currently has a few Mysore Mulli jasmines for sell. Of course I broke down and ordered another one since the one I ordered from TT died. I'm hoping Mysore Mulli really is more fragrant than Belle of India since I adore Belle's scent! :)

-Robert