Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Star Jasmine

Posted by mariposa13 Mid TN (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 07 at 12:04

I think I need some reassurance... I really want this to work!

I purchased a star jasmine plant and have planted it next to a chain link fence. It is in full sun. I used twist ties to secure the vines to the fence. It's been planted for about 2 weeks now. I really want this to climb all over the fence, but I only have one right now to see how it does (I don't have much luck with plants/flowers).

Now... it seems to be doing well, I've been watering it daily and I've mixed up some fertilizer.

I've noticed the flowers are starting to turn yellow/brown. I don't know if I am watering it too much or too little? I mixed up a gallon milk jug of water and fertilizer. I use about 1/3 jug every morning to water it. Do I need to use more / less?

I really want to keep it alive!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Star Jasmine

As long as the leaves look glossy - your plant is healthy. The flowers turning yellow/brownish could be an indication of balling or ageing or sunburnt when mixed with water. In order words - avoid watering the flowers - just water the roots.

o
RE: Star Jasmine

Mari, I would think you're over-fertilizing..Instead of feeding each day, (follow container directions) fertilize according to instructions.
Also, it's not a good idea leaving mixed fertilizers over night. At least everything I've read on the subject states not to..I believe it's even written on boxes or containers.
Though I grow jasmines in pots, I allow soil to dry a bit between waterings. Soil should not be muddy.
This is important, especially if your soil is heavy. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here