15 years ago

My question is: how hardy is it?

{{gwi:794097}}

{{gwi:794099}}

Comments (21)

• longriver
    15 years ago

Very impressive plant.

If you search the web sites, you should find the habitat location. Then look into the record of weather history, You might figure out the cold hardness. However it is very hard to make a statement, because there are so many factors involved. I would keep the plant at a proper area, if your area has prolonged freezing temperature during the winter.

• jview
    15 years ago

I am intrigued. What is the name of this plant?

• User
    15 years ago

Looks like some kind of blooming olive plant.
    Not sweet olive, but close.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is a previously unknown Osmanthus fragrans. It is only found in Cangxi county of Sichuan province. This plant has unprecedented features:

It has the longest blooming period  close to ever blooming. Plus - unlike the previous four-season type, the fragrance of this one is among the strongest.

It has become very popular recently.

• jimshy
    15 years ago

O. fragrans is hardy to zone 8, but like LR said, a lot depends on the location, the size and age of the plant, what kind of winter weather we get, etc.

If you want to risk it (and I would at least take cuttings just in case!), you'd want to find a site near a south facing wall, protected from wind, with good drainage. Mulch, wrapping it with burlap or surrounding it with branches cut from an evergreen are all common tactics for people trying to push the climate zone limits (all those guilty, raise your hands), but finding the right location is the most important part.

It looks lovely, by the way! My o. fragrans 'Fudingzhou' is still blooming despite record heat and sun.

Osmanthus rules!

Jim

• User
    15 years ago

Jim,
    My sweet olive is still blooming also!
    I'm shocked, it never blooms into June, usually stops in May.
    I love this plant, there isn't a sweet smell like it.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, they have such a powerful and cultured fragrance. I originally come form the north. Whenever I hear people talking about them, they look overly excited to me.

I tried O Fragrans candy but I was not impressed. Then, one October, I was inundated in their wafting scent for miles and miles.

Now I talk about them with the same excitement. One has to personally experience it to understand what I am talking about. Is New Orleans a good place for such an experience?

• monarda_gw
    15 years ago

Hats off! What a beautifully grown specimen. I have never seen one more attractive -- almost like a bonsai. I only wish you had shown us a view of the pot.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Monarda.

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Are any of us able to aquire any of this plant. It is worth growing let me tell you. It is so beautiful. I never get mine flowers to smell good for more than a day.
    I would love to purchase one. Where did you get it?
    Thanks

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Meyer Mike,

For quite a while, this was a elite-cultivar. In fact, many people don't know it is an O Fragrans. It is believed that the Qing Dynasty Queen had one, but she had no clue what it was.

Their Chinese name does not suggest they are O Fragarns. If you travel to China  I think they are called "Yue Gui Xiang".

Long-River might help!!!

• longriver
    15 years ago

I checked the reference of Osmanthus from Sichuan Province that is a four season-type Osmanthus. The translation can possibly vary due to so many cultivars from different areas. 'Yue Gui Xiang' means 'Monthly Osmanthus Fragrance', word by word.

It is a famous fragrant Osmanthus blooming from Sept to May, about 200 days per year. Color is light yellow. Fragrance is intense. Sometimes the similar cultivars are named as 'Daily Fragrant Osmanthus' or 'Four Season Osmanthus' or 'Four Season Seed-Producing Osmanthus'

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Long River, that is it! You got it!

• gardenerme
    15 years ago

OK, I want it, want it, want it! Where can I get it?

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Long river,

I am sorry about retracting, but could you please verify:

Does the Chinese name "Ri Gui Xiang" mean the same cultivar? ... or if "Ri Gui Xiang" is a different type ...

Now I think the correct name might be "Ri Gui Xiang".

In Chinese, Gui does not mean O Fragrans. It is more general - meaning olives, or trees with shiny oval leaves  such a Mountain Laurel, and Indian Bay.

• yellowthumb
    15 years ago

I think the correct name should be "Ri Xiang Gui", not "Ri Gui Xiang". This is one of the most promising four seasons cultivar.

• longriver
    15 years ago

I can only guess the name as " well-being Fragrant Gui-hua(Osmanthus flower)". There are so many local names for 4-season type in China.

Chinese use the common name as 'Gui-Hua' for about 3,000 year. You are correct about 'Gui' wording. Osmanthus Fragrans is the Botanical Name according to western naming of Royal Botanical Garden established in much shorter duration. There are four classification as 4-season, Silver, Gold and red Gui-Hua consolidated recently into about 156 cultivars. However new Cultivars of different petal, shape, color and growing habit are still coming. Most of them are found and developed only in China.

I am not going to worry about it. Let international experts to figure it out. I am just waiting to see and smell the new bloom.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is an image of O Fragrans "Ri Xiang Gui" Daily Fragrance. Geesh, I finally got the name right, hopefully.

{{gwi:499022}}

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

So where can we get one? Do yopu who might be selling this specific plants?
    Thanks so much!!!
    MIke

• longriver
    15 years ago

I need to order one also. I do like the shower formation and long blooming period.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance or I can buy you a lunch, Ho, Ho, Hih, Hih,

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This cultivar "Ri Xiang Gui" is unprecedented.

Previously, the scents of four-season cultivars are inferior to those blooming once a year. However, "Ri Xiang Gui", or daily fragrance, has the strongest scent; yet it is observed to bloom for 300 days per year.

Long River, we are looking at you to get us this plant.

Thank you in advance.