o
Blooming in May

Posted by true-blue QC, Canada Zone 4 (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 12:37

The thread is open :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming in May

Lets get this one going then hope it is as big as blooming in April :)

Hoya Obovata said to be one of must have top 10 hoya's to own and i would agree easy to grow beautiful round leaves with lots of silver flecks on and fragrant flowers which are sweet some ppl say smell of roses go figure i have counted 9 sets of flowers on mine first bunch has just opened

photo IMAG0195_zpsa0cbe754.jpg

photo IMAG0197_zps65b3907b.jpg

Cattleya intermedia very sweetly scented and last for many weeks

photo IMAG0189_zpsd1b8d98d.jpg

one of my fav back in flower Zalazianskya ovata very strong fragrant flowers with a rich and heady perfume.that close over in the day and reopen at night and the foliage is fragrant to

photo IMAG0188_zpse46dc212.jpg

Vanda paki spicy fragrance

photo IMAG0184_zpsee3ea978.jpg

vanda Dark spotty no fragrance but i just enjoy the flowers

photo IMAG0183_zps7100f683.jpg

Encyclia pentotis not the most beautiful of orchids but wow what a fragrance really packs a punch deliciously fragrant The flowers bloom back to back in pair. if you can find this orchid i would buy it :) think it may of changed its name to Encyclia bacculus

photo IMAG0182_zps79d3a690.jpg

o

YOu guys are CRAZY!!!

Already May???

Again such beautiful flowers!!!! Let's see what I can dig up!!
Fragrant, you are a flower whisperer..You certainly do a darn good job with yours...I love that Hoya!

o

Thankyou Mike Hoyas do seem to grow well for me the dull rainy weather we get here in the uk does not seem to bother them :)

o

Fragrant, lovely plants and flowers. I have to disagree with you though, on one point: Your Encyclia pentotis is simply breathtakingly lovely! There is something rather pure and virginal about it. Could you discribe the scent?

A couple of years ago I got Zalazianskya capensis, which was slightly fragrant. I'm glad your Z ovata is fragrant. I'm gonna try it again....

o

Frargrant..You are killing me...Everytime I want to buy a plant you insist we should have, I can't find one....lol

They are always in the U.K..

I wanted to buy that Encylia so bad and couldn't find a darn one...

o

True-Blue thankyou it is hard to put a finger on it but to me its a spicy musky fragrance some say its like honey or gardenia

Not sure if this link will work Mike
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prosthechea-baculus-HONEY-FRAGRANCE-velvet-white-flower-orchid-COOL-or-WARM-EZ-/301117872472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461c061958

o

Fragrant..Thanks! Thank to you I bought that one and the other sweet smelling plant you spoke of..haha

I love the pics you posted..

MIke

o

Brian,

Your posts are dangerous! I want them all! Laugh.

Okay. Got a few to share.

While walking the dog I sniffed Black Locust tree blooms (Robinia pseudoacacia). It's the white blooms on the right.
The scent is sweet and reminds me sort of grape hyacinths and Honey Bells (Hermannia verticillata). I always eagerly await the spring blossoms of this tree 'weed'. :)

Also have been enjoying the scent of our 'Goldflame' honeysuckle (Lonicera x heckrottii) though so far the scent is light since they are just opening and it seems the scent is strongest on cool mornings. It's on the bottom left.
Big bonus is that the hummingbirds also enjoy it!

And lastly I agree with Kemistry that freesia's scent reminds me of osmanthus fragrans (sweet olive). Top left.
The single ones are definitely stronger scented than the doubles. :)

-Robert

o

weed!!! lol I am growing a Robinia pseudoacacia to one day train as a bonsai it is about 6ft tall but has never flowered do these trees need to be a certain age before they flower?
I have wisteria bonsai and Laburnum i have always liked the way the flowers hang down in chains makes a great display

o

Thanks for the description of fragrance, Fragrant :-)

Lovely photos Robert, btw did your Hermannia verticillata flowered?

o

My brunfelsia gigantea blooms exactly on May 1st. A fresh, clean scent.

o

Do the brunsfelsia smell different than one another?
Mine smells great some days, and horrible on others.

I actually have a bloom to share.
After a few months of waiting my carnations are blooming.
"Fragrance Dwarf Delight" is the name.
I bought two six packs and will be buying more next year.

It's very fragrant. Very. I can smell this one flower from a foot away!

o

Do the brunsfelsia smell different than one another?
Mine smells great some days, and horrible on others.

I actually have a bloom to share.
After a few months of waiting my carnations are blooming.
"Fragrance Dwarf Delight" is the name.
I bought two six packs and will be buying more next year.

It's very fragrant. Very. I can smell this one flower from a foot away!

o

I love the purity of the Brunsfelia Kem.

Cute frilly carnation, Ordphien, is it clove scented?

o

Brian,

I hope your Black Locust blooms soon! I think the smallest trees I saw blooming were 8-10' tall?
Hopefully they'll bloom sooner in a pot for you!

True Blue,

I didn't keep my Hermannia verticillata after it was done blooming. Too much of a hassle to get buds to form (nights in the 30's and 40's).

Kemistry,

Hooray! I love that brunfelsia's scent. I think it's more perfumey than clovey. Laugh.

Ordphien,

Yes. Brunfelsias can have different scents. The white ones are fragrant at night and do tend to have clove like scents though B. gigantea has more of perfume like scent to my nose.

I love your dianthus. I've never seen 'Fragrance Dwarf Delight' for sale in Tulsa but if I do I know I'll try some! :)

I've been buying lots of new goodies from Home Depot but I think the only scented one is Lonicera periclymenum Sweet Tea 'Caprilia Cream'. It's supposed to be a dwarf honeysuckle with fragrant flowers. We'll see!

My Philadelphus 'Snowbelle' (mock orange) is finally starting to waft! Love its scent.
'Innocence' is still just budding at this point. No open blooms on it yet.

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Tue, May 6, 14 at 11:18

o

Robert, good to see you're busy with all those goodies! It's still cold up here. Everything is so late. My daffs aren't up yet. The botanical tulips will bloom soon....

Funny, I have, Snowbelle too. How old is yours? Mine is 3 years old, it hasn't reached the wafting stage yet, we'll see this June.

We had at one point two very big Philadelphus, one single, pure white, another double, ivory. They were big shrubs, 8/10' high, with the most intoxicating fragrance. Unfortunately they grew tired and only one is left, a single twig. I've mind to cut it down, to rejuvenate it.

Did your Zephirine bloom? Btw did you get your Clem? Keep us posted :-)

o

My brunsfelsia takes on a scent like paperwhites sometimes and when it does I really don't like it.

My duranta has begun blooming.
Light vanilla scent.

o

Field of Scilla siberica. Bee's eye view ;-) These little flowers can sometimes surprise you by a strong honey smell...

o

Lovely Duranta, Ordphien. I can't stand paperwhites either.
I couldn't help it but share a non fragrant cousin of Muscari, a diminutive Pseudomuscari azureum, I hope you don't mind...

o

True-blue, I love them keep them rolling. That's such a gorgeous flower.

Ordphien, where can I get Dwarf Fragrant Dwarf Delight?

Got more shots of Moonglow Magnolia today under a light drizzle.

o

Divine plumeria has a light sent to my nose but lots of flower power

o

Lovely Musa, you have purity and pizazz altogether :-)

o

Lovely plumeria.

I got mine at greenthumb nursery. In six packs.

o

Finally my peonies are opening. I have got them from walmart and lowes. I heard that sarah bernhardt is fragrant. They don't seem very fragrant. I have been to one of the nursaries here. I have seen cora stubbs. It smells so goo, like old fashioned rose. I am looking for something like them. any recommandations please.

photo photo1_zpse225a192.jpg
sarah bernhardt yesterday at 6:00PM

photo photo4_zps61532474.jpg
sarah bernhardt yesterday at 8PM

photo photo5_zpse8dd474e.jpg
sarah bernhardt Today morning at 7AM

photo photo2_zpsf93ff742.jpg
karl rosenfield - yesterday at 6PM

photo photo3_zps49fdf96c.jpg
karl rosenfieldToady morning 7AM

o

True Blue,

Yes. My Zephirine Drouhlin Rose had its biggest flush last month however I've still got a few blooms this month. :)
My Sugar-Sweet Lilac Clematis has been planted though I think I probably should have planted it deeper. Truthfully I can hardly see any of its leaves thanks to the hardy jasmine and ZD stems!

My Snowbelle Mock Orange is probably 4 years old by now? I've been enjoying its scent while it lasts.

Bunti,

I love peonies though some that are fragrant are not pleasantly fragrant to my nose. I used to grow 'Maxima Festiva' however the scent reminded me of toasted sesame seed oil so that coupled with the fact that they hate being moved and I tend to move stuff around all the time I got rid of it. Laugh.

I've got a few other fragrant goodies just starting to open.
Lonicera periclymenum 'Scentsation' and our 'Sombreuil' Rose is just starting to open just in time for today's rain.
Wah! The ones that are open will probably ball up and turn brown and mushy. Oh, well. Hopefully the other blooms will be awesome.
Last year it was truly stunning!

-Robert

o

Thanks Ordphien.

Bunti I love peonies, just everything about them is so aesthetically pleasing. The foliage, esepcially when they come up shooting from the ground is such a beautiful crimson red, looks almost like filigree. The nectary dew on the flower buds. The glossy foliage. Etc.
I like the smell of Karl Rosenfield. The scent was indeed soft but pleasant.

Robert, how is the scent on Zepherine Droulhin, is it comparable to any other popular rose?

o

Robert lovely photos. Glad your Zephirine had a big flush. Don't worry about the clematis. It will be in sleeping mode ;-) Lovely Sombreuil, fragrant hardy climbers are a no, no here, Lol.

How's the scent of your lonicera? I once bought a periclymenum, but it died on me.

Here is the first of the botanical tulips: Tulipa urumiensis. When a slight breeze blows down to the house, one is often surprised by the lovely honey scented flowers.

o

Bunti lovely peonies. I agree with Musa's poetic descriptions. I had an old unknown variety, pinkish, rose scented, very fragrant. Unfortunately, over the years, the trees shaded it, so I had to send it on it's way. Check on the peony forum. Here is a link to start you off!

Another botanical tulip. Lightly honey scented. Tulipa tarda.

o

Lovely tulips, True Blue!

Okay. You guys are killing me with the scent descriptions requests. Laugh.

Mus,

I'm going with classic Bourbon rose scent. I'm not good at this! Kem thinks it smells like raspberries?

True,
I haven't been blown away by the intensity of this honeysuckle's scent but it is nice.
Of course it's blooming deep in the bed so I have to step in and lean over and disturb a cardinal who decided to build a nest in the mahonias right by the sidewalk. Laugh.
Truthfully I'd rather grow L. japonica for scent but I know what a rampant pest it is around our parts.
I do have a small vine growing in the front yard courtesy of the birds that is just now starting to bloom so I've been sniffing it. ;)

-Robert

o

Thanks Robert. That Zephirine in full glory should've been something to behold. Did it waft?

Like your scent descriptions, somewhat ;-) I didn't get L. japonica for the same reason, invasiveness, even here!

I've got a scentless L. manadrin, hardy with orange flowers, which is kind of cute.

o

Love the blue of that duranta Ordphien and wow true-blue love that Tulipa tarda the color and shape plus fragrant think i need to grow a few more bulbs :)

Its been a good year for lilac here unlike last year when the blooms were really poor

photo IMAG0205_zps6653dfea.jpg

photo IMAG0203_zps16a6cd23.jpg

photo IMAG0208_zps65fb3249.jpg

photo IMAG0207_zps140ca54c.jpg

epidendrum prismatocarpum

photo IMAG0198_zps17abee7e.jpg

photo IMAG0199_zpsf0823151.jpg

Michelia alba just been able to move it out of my frost free greenhouse

photo IMAG0202_zps12dd78a8.jpg

Fragrant Azalea

photo IMAG0206_zps9ba10480.jpg

And my holboellia latifolia has flowered for the first time love the fragrance it is filling up my frost free greenhouse mmm wonder if i will get any fruit ;)

photo IMAG0209_zps08717ffb.jpg

Blue bells in the garden :)

photo IMAG0211_zpsdf4c3a75.jpg

o

Those blue bells are just too cute!
I've never even seen those.

This cacti that I do not know the name of is flowering.
It normally only makes one flower.
But this year two!.

It's very very night fragrant. Of Jasmine and bubblegum.

o

Fragrant lovely photos, as always. You really have the most unique plants. I'm discovering so many interesting plants. Love the close up on lilacs, makes one appreciate each single flower within the cluster. The orchid is rather scary ;-) Dreamed of having bluebells, tried to grow them once, they didn't make it. And then I found out that it's very difficult to find true English Bluebell bulbs. And often you'll get the dreaded Spanish ones, which tend to create a scentless hybrid with the English ones.

Ordphien, love the fragrance description and the flower....

o

One of my favourite fragrant rose, brother cadfael rose from david austin.

o

Simply Divine, Bunti. Can you describe the fragrance?

o

here are my peonies fully opened.

photo photo3_zps20941be0.jpg
Unknown variety from walmart or lowes

photo photo7_zps855080df.jpg
May be festiva maxima

photo photo6_zpsea71d76e.jpg
Unknown

photo photo5_zps8a4782e8.jpg
peony sarah bernhardt

photo photo4_zps8e3f9840.jpg
unknown from lowes

o

You are making me so jealous!
I covet peonies. I do.
Beautiful.

o

Lovely pics guys! That cacti there looks like an Echinopsis. Nice to know they are fragrant. I had always wanted one but they are quite difficult to find at the local bigbbox stores.

o

true-blue, I am not good at describing the fragrance. but its strong and rich Old Rose fragrance.

o

Love all the pics!
Wish I could sniff them. Laugh.

I've got a few to share.
My David Austin rose Jude the Obscure blessed us with its perfumey grapefruit scent. :)

-Robert

o

One of my new passion flowers finally had a bloom, Passiflora venusta.
Only had a day to sniff it during lunch and when I got home. The scent reminded me of lemongrass and bubble gum? It's a gorgeous flower.

-Robert

o

I'm not sure what it is.
I've been told a few times that that particular cactus is not fragrant.
Or rather it shouldn't be.
I even got called a liar a few times lol.

But this one is fragrant. I had no idea what to tell them.
I can't exactly prove it was fragrant over pictures lol.

My stephanotis is finally blooming. Smells really good.

o

My Belle:

o

Belle of the bathroom!
That's beautiful. How the heck do you guys get your sambacs to bloom so early?

I'm trying again with gardenia radicans.

My fourth attempt. I cannot keep these guys happy.
Maybe this time?

o

Thanks for the fragrance description bunti. It can be hard sometimes to describe fragrances. Those are lovely peonies.

Robert, I've read that Jude is one of the most fragrant Austins. Does it waft? What about your passiflora?, BTW, that's such a beautiful picture and flower. It's so evocative...

I was thinking of you Robert and your heliotropes. I was kneeling in a very undignified matter sniffing the diminutive muscari, which was faintly floral, with a hint of rose water and a dash of honey.

Lovely Jasmine Kem, cute gardenia Ordphien.

o

Kemistry, are you sure its balle of india. Leaf shape doesn't look like balle of india.

o

Sweet honey scent. Doesn't waft. Tulipa fosteriana 'Orange Emperor'.

o

Hi Bunti... yup, pretty sure it's a Belle.

Ordphien... I think it was because of the warm weather. After a long winter this plant is now waking up, sending out many buds and new growths, really is a nice sight to see : )

Lol true-blue, yes we do strange things to sniff our flowers, we really do. :p

o

White wisteria with pleasant fragrance.
IMG_2370
IMG_2362

Abelia mosanensis -- hint of jasmine and cloves fragrance
IMG_2366

o

True Blue,

You're so demanding! Laugh.
Not only do you want a scent description but we must also tell if things waft or not. :)
The passion flower didn't waft if I remember correctly. I'm cutting it a break since this was its first bloom. I'll give it time before I judge it. ;)

Your bulbs are beautiful!

Oh, to answer your question that you sent me about dwarf pink Singapore plumeria wafting. I'm going with no. Kem had the white version I believe and could detect no scent growing it inside.
Perhaps Laura or some other plumie grower will chime in?

Kem,

Hooray for Belle! I had one open from a rooted cutting the other day and I could smell it when I walked into my bedroom.
Love it.

Kandhi,

Love your Abelia mosanensis! I've always been curious about its scent and now I really want one! Laugh.

Okay. I've got a few more to share.
My 'Innocence' mock orange is blooming. Its scent is more of a higher sweeter note than 'Snowbelle' to my nose. No wafting yet that I can detect but it's smaller than 'Snowbelle'.
My Jasminum sambac 'Mysore Mulli' is blooming its head off!
Love its scent.
My Buddleja 'Asian Moon' is starting to bloom. I love its purple blooms with orange centers. Typical honey sweet scent.
Finally my Heliotrope 'Heaven Scent' is blooming.
It's not as strongly scented so far as I had hoped it would be but maybe later when it gets larger I'll change my mind?

-Robert

o

WOw that Mysore Mulli looks amazing. Maybe it's time for me to grab another heliotrope? lol

You guys, my Belle smells amazing tonight. Here is one of its many faces:

o

I find I can't really smell any heliotrope from a distance when small.
But with time boy those things can waft.

Chocolate Cosmo beginning to open.
Can't wait for the scent. I've observed two scents depending on the batch.
Some smell like hersheys, and others smell like coco powder.

o

Hey guys!! ... cannot keep up with your beauties, I don't know which I love most, the peonies, the jasmines, the roses, the orchids the bulbs they all made me dizzy...for the sheer quantity that goes on my list at least I won't even try to buy more plants!
I don't have that many to share considering the month but here goes:
Cattleya intermedia orlata rio
first day
 photo IMG_7236_zpsacd2c3b2.jpg
later
 photo IMG_7360_zpsaa49f4ed.jpg
season's last bluebell
 photo IMG_7392_zps86d27aa1.jpg
rose season!
jacqueline du pre my fav!
 photo IMG_7381_zpsf36c5a57.jpg
Maiden's blush with old rose scent
 photo IMG_7402_zps258e7ceb.jpg
crown princess margareta with apricot scent
 photo IMG_7393_zpse6d50176.jpg
arisaema candidissimum w/ light floral scent
 photo 4b5c09f9-013f-447f-89ed-52080a4a1961_zps499b0348.jpg

o

Beautiful Abelia and Wisteria Kandhi.

Sorry Robert about being so demanding. BTW does your Buddleia waft ? Sorry, I forgot ;-) Joking aside, your flowers look beautiful. With your heliotrope, you never know, maybe it's testing you. Lol. Thanks for un-enabling me with the plumeria. Less is more.

Ordphein lovely coloured cosmos.

Kem your belle is beautiful.

Fenius, simply lovely, the rose are breathtaking. Love the alba, du Pré looks lovely and the crown princess, well.....

Here is a wafting lily flowered tulip, ballerina

o

I love those bright-colored tulips. I have heard some are fragrant but havent had an opportunity to smell one. : ))

o

My Artabotrys

o

My Clivias

o

Bunti, that's the melon smelling one?

Here is another fragrant tulip. This is sort of a darker orange type. Doesn't waft Robert ;-)
Triumph tulip, Prinses Irene.

o

Love all of the posts...

Beautiful as always...

Kanoehe Sunburst

Take care,

Laura

o

I agree with Laura love all the posts some beautiful flowers

Bunti can not wait till my Artabotrys is that size and flowers i dont think this year but maybe next :)

fenius love that Cattleya intermedia orlata rio the marking with the little flecks is really beautiful

Robert you are temptng me with the passion flower i have looked into these many times the flowers are stunning but was never sure how strong the fragrance is?
I have been looking into PASSIFLORA PERFUME PASSION

Lamburnum one i am hoping to train as a bonsai beautiful rich honey scent

photo IMAG0221_zps7616830e.jpg

photo IMAG0222_zps1dd8771b.jpg

Wisteria x Caroline the flowers appear just before the leaves do strongly scented to

photo IMAG0220_zps8785b2f2.jpg

Fragrant Azalea

photo IMAG0219_zpsf2c16006.jpg

Very very fragrant Hoya Parasitica panachee this is up there with lacunosa and australis for power of fragrance from the flowers. Mine is also a variegated form

photo IMAG0225_zps071a74c1.jpg

Michelia Yunnanensis

photo IMAG0217_zps2751c352.jpg

Fist Michelia Fifo of the year so love this scent

photo IMAG0229_zps7163c76b.jpg

Calycanthus Athens flowers are not much to look at but boy to they smell good very similar in fragrance to Michelia figo

photo IMAG0230_zpsd0e27860.jpg

Two Pansy orchids they have only just opened but the white one is fragrance not sure on the other one yet

photo IMAG0227_zpse88dbc2b.jpg

photo IMAG0233_zpsaa4e0f43.jpg

and not fragrant but still beautiful one of my Azalea bonsai i have many different color varieties of azalea bonsai just coming into flower at the mo

photo IMAG0231_zpsf97f6f4d.jpg

o

Penang Peach just opening. It has one of my favorite type of scents. I imagine if there was a cake frosting made with peach flavoring, this is what it would smell like. It has a creamy undertone to my nose.

o

All these tulips have me jealous.
They hate my area.

Like peach frosting you say? Then I must get one. I'm smack dab in the middle of making peach cake and just finished the frosting.
If there's a flower that smells like this I need it.

The radicans I purchased is opening.
Very buttery with strong coconut tones.
Each time I buy one I get a little further.
The first one just shriveled and died. The second bloomed then shriveled and died. The third, bloomed, grew a little, then died.
I'm hoping this one just lives.
I'm very displeased with my garden this year.

o

Beautiful plumerias Laura and Musa.

Fragrant, you always dazzle us with your lovely displays.

Ordphien isn't it funny, we each yearn for plants we can't grow in our climate. You can treat tulips as annuals, most of them are annuals for us anyway :-)

Maybe you can grow some of the botanicals. Good luck with your radicans...

o

Portland from Glendora. Of all the portlands I grow, this one seems best suited to the climate here. But flowers are a little delicate. Scent not as great as Rose de Rescht (which is somewhat akin to Mr Lincoln).

o

I was working in the garden, and suddenly I was engulfed by the sweet tulip scent. I hadn't planted scented tulips there.

It is difficult to describe a fragrant tulip scent as they normally don't have the honey tones of their ancestors. Normally tulips don't smell nice at least Negrita and Poppie, which were nodding their heads, smelled something like stagnant water.

Scented tulips on the other hand are sort of sweet, yet not cloying with a hint of citrus, which balances the stinking tones. Personally I prefer the honey scented botanicals, but who am I to complain.

Anyway back to my story, I was surprised that Sanne which is photogenic but rather drab in person was not only scented, but wafted 2/3 feet around it, under the blazing sun!

So, without further ado:

o

Lovely phot True! Looks like Im going add tulips to my list for next year haha.

o

Have Rose de Rescht in ground (kind of a poor bloomer for me)
Grand Duke Supreme
What I believe is J105 plumeria
White rose: Out of Yesteryear, lovely fruity fragrance, like Benjamin Britten scent, pear and apricot jam
And more of Portland from Glendora

This post was edited by musaboru on Sat, May 24, 14 at 11:47

o

Lovely Musa. I love your Portland of Glendora.
I nearly succumbed to Rose de Rescht last year, I would've loved to have some portlands, but I went for Sweet Chariot.

No more space left :-)

o

We just had a much needed rain storm, I took this
 photo 2014-05-25165629_zpsa3390568.jpg
August Beauty planted next to my driveway. Smells great when you go to get into the car.
My favorite hardy fragrant vine is blooming, I don't want to come into the house.
 photo 2014-05-24133434_zps91a495f8.jpg photo 2014-05-24133434_zps91a495f8.jpg
Confederate Jasmine "Madison", it's also evergreen which is nice.

o

I envy you and your wondeful Gardenia 'August Beauty' i can not find this Gardenia anywhere in the uk i have 2 Crown Jewels and 1 Kleim's Hardy but no August beauty :(

o

Omg some one is selling them on amazon Gardenia August Beauty *Large Double Very Fragrant Flower* One Gallon £69 around $ 116 :O

This post was edited by fragrant2008 on Mon, May 26, 14 at 13:37

o

Wow Fragrant,
That's expensive for an August Beauty.
Can you buy from any vendor in the US and they will ship it to you? Or is it a PITA? Just wondering, I don't know the laws about shipping plants.
They sell them where I live for about 20.00 US.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, May 27, 14 at 11:23

I got this gardenia from a very kind member here. Gardenias are without a doubt my favorites. I just wanted to share this on that opened over the weekend.

photo IMG_20140525_070425240_zpslaglwwwk.jpg

Mike

o

Simply stunning mksmth :)

Yes ordering from America is a nightmare with tax charges and aload of other certificates and forms its odd i can order from say Thailand no problem but America is another story. I have done in the past but from individuals not vendors ;)

o

Some more blooms from me.

Brunfelsia jamaicensis... smells so much like mangoes!! It desperately needs a bigger pot, though. Lol.

And here is another favorite:
Around 8pm:

and 45 minnutes later:

o

Kemistry, Brunfelsia's are my favorite, they are pest fress and easy to maintain indoors. where did you get your Brunfelsia jamaicensis, I need to get one?

What is the 2nd plant, some kind of magnolia?

o

I got this brunfelsia from Logees. The second plant is magnolia coco. You need both. Lol. My mag coco is from Thailand but Gardino does have it occasionally.

o

Kemisty does the coco flower only last one night? and how many blooms do you get in a year?

o

Kemistry, I have too many magnolia's (grandiflora, greenbay, yellow flowering butterflies) in my garden and would not want to buy anymore to maintain indoors. I am struggling to maintain michelia alba indoors as it grows so fast and has spider mites problem during winter.. Just too many plants indoors..but would definitely go for brunfelsia jamaican. How do you rate the fragrance from other brunfelsia's?

o

Lovely photos everyone.

Here is the diminutive scented daff, Golden Dawn. It is less than inch wide.

The white daff is Fragrant rose, it is supposed to smell like roses, the first batch I got didn't smell nice! Now the weather has been so cold and rainy that it's hard to smell anything :-)

And finally the anis smelling flowers of Sweet Cicely or Myrrhis odorata.

Btw, it seems that gardenweb has been having problems sending email updates. So don't be surprised if no one comments ;-)

This post was edited by true-blue on Wed, May 28, 14 at 15:57

o

Nice, blue! Daffs always look so cheery.

Fragrant- Yes, mag coco's flower lasts 1 night (and 1 day). Similar to Magnolia egg, very fragrant for the first hours, then mildly scented the rest of the time.
It smells like melon. Really nice! ;)
The first year I got 1 bloom; last year I got around 6? This year maybe more. I like how it stays short and pushes out a bud at the end of each new branch. Each branch on mine is only around 6 inches long.
But mine stays indoors 24/7 and it doesn't get that much sunlight. A better growing environment will yeild more blooms, I'm sure.

Kandhi-- jamaicensis smells different from the other brunfelsia in my opinion. If I close my eyes and sniff it, it'll remind me of mango mixed with lavender. This plant doesn't have the same wafting power as a gigantea, for example, but its scent really makes up for it. I'm interested on hearing your opinion of this plant; not sure why it isn't popular.

o

Kemistry!!! Your brunfelsia looks so so so wonderful. I am beyond jealous. I just got an Brunfelsia americana from Accents this year, and so far it is still quite small (it has grown 5 leaves since, haha).

Mike, what type of gardenia is that??? I have one that looks suspiciously like it but I never found out what kind it is. I really really want to find out b/c that kind has such a long bloom season!!! Somebody please help me identify this beautiful gardenia!

My first michelia alba bloom of the year.
And my first Gardenia frostproof bloom ever (I have had it for about 2 years).

Ruby

o

Frostproof

o

Wow!!!

Such beauty, everyone!!!!

I can't get over all of the blooms. We have had such strange weather in Virginia, but its finally warming up and things are starting to open.. I'm a little behind because most are slow to open due to the cold temps..

I have some that are getting ready to pop!! ;-)! I'm so excited!!!

Mike.. She is a beauty!!! I'm so proud!!! She is a beauty and the fragrance is awesome!! I'm so glad you are happy!!!

Thank you for the kind email... Very thoughtful and I'm glad it's doing well. I had no worries it would be in good hands with you!!!

Take good care,

My mom is still alive and she will be excited to know her tree is around the. US !! She is 83 years young!!!

Mahalo!!!

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here