Comments (86)

• ordphien
    9 years ago

You are making me so jealous!
    I covet peonies. I do.
    Beautiful.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Lovely pics guys! That cacti there looks like an Echinopsis. Nice to know they are fragrant. I had always wanted one but they are quite difficult to find at the local bigbbox stores.

• bunti
    9 years ago

true-blue, I am not good at describing the fragrance. but its strong and rich Old Rose fragrance.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Love all the pics!
    Wish I could sniff them. Laugh.

I've got a few to share.
    My David Austin rose Jude the Obscure blessed us with its perfumey grapefruit scent. :)

-Robert

9 years ago

One of my new passion flowers finally had a bloom, Passiflora venusta.
    Only had a day to sniff it during lunch and when I got home. The scent reminded me of lemongrass and bubble gum? It's a gorgeous flower.

-Robert

• ordphien
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what it is.
    I've been told a few times that that particular cactus is not fragrant.
    Or rather it shouldn't be.
    I even got called a liar a few times lol.

But this one is fragrant. I had no idea what to tell them.
    I can't exactly prove it was fragrant over pictures lol.

My stephanotis is finally blooming. Smells really good.

• kemistry
    9 years ago

My Belle:

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Belle of the bathroom!
    That's beautiful. How the heck do you guys get your sambacs to bloom so early?

I'm trying again with gardenia radicans.

My fourth attempt. I cannot keep these guys happy.
    Maybe this time?

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the fragrance description bunti. It can be hard sometimes to describe fragrances. Those are lovely peonies.

Robert, I've read that Jude is one of the most fragrant Austins. Does it waft? What about your passiflora?, BTW, that's such a beautiful picture and flower. It's so evocative...

I was thinking of you Robert and your heliotropes. I was kneeling in a very undignified matter sniffing the diminutive muscari, which was faintly floral, with a hint of rose water and a dash of honey.

Lovely Jasmine Kem, cute gardenia Ordphien.

• bunti
    9 years ago

Kemistry, are you sure its balle of india. Leaf shape doesn't look like balle of india.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sweet honey scent. Doesn't waft. Tulipa fosteriana 'Orange Emperor'.

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Hi Bunti... yup, pretty sure it's a Belle.

Ordphien... I think it was because of the warm weather. After a long winter this plant is now waking up, sending out many buds and new growths, really is a nice sight to see : )

Lol true-blue, yes we do strange things to sniff our flowers, we really do. :p

• kandhi
    9 years ago

White wisteria with pleasant fragrance.

Abelia mosanensis -- hint of jasmine and cloves fragrance

9 years ago

True Blue,

You're so demanding! Laugh.
    Not only do you want a scent description but we must also tell if things waft or not. :)
    The passion flower didn't waft if I remember correctly. I'm cutting it a break since this was its first bloom. I'll give it time before I judge it. ;)

Your bulbs are beautiful!

Oh, to answer your question that you sent me about dwarf pink Singapore plumeria wafting. I'm going with no. Kem had the white version I believe and could detect no scent growing it inside.
    Perhaps Laura or some other plumie grower will chime in?

Kem,

Hooray for Belle! I had one open from a rooted cutting the other day and I could smell it when I walked into my bedroom.
    Love it.

Kandhi,

Love your Abelia mosanensis! I've always been curious about its scent and now I really want one! Laugh.

Okay. I've got a few more to share.
    My 'Innocence' mock orange is blooming. Its scent is more of a higher sweeter note than 'Snowbelle' to my nose. No wafting yet that I can detect but it's smaller than 'Snowbelle'.
    My Jasminum sambac 'Mysore Mulli' is blooming its head off!
    Love its scent.
    My Buddleja 'Asian Moon' is starting to bloom. I love its purple blooms with orange centers. Typical honey sweet scent.
    Finally my Heliotrope 'Heaven Scent' is blooming.
    It's not as strongly scented so far as I had hoped it would be but maybe later when it gets larger I'll change my mind?

-Robert

• kemistry
    9 years ago

WOw that Mysore Mulli looks amazing. Maybe it's time for me to grab another heliotrope? lol

You guys, my Belle smells amazing tonight. Here is one of its many faces:

• ordphien
    9 years ago

I find I can't really smell any heliotrope from a distance when small.
    But with time boy those things can waft.

Chocolate Cosmo beginning to open.
    Can't wait for the scent. I've observed two scents depending on the batch.
    Some smell like hersheys, and others smell like coco powder.

• fenius
    9 years ago

Hey guys!! ... cannot keep up with your beauties, I don't know which I love most, the peonies, the jasmines, the roses, the orchids the bulbs they all made me dizzy...for the sheer quantity that goes on my list at least I won't even try to buy more plants!
    I don't have that many to share considering the month but here goes:
    Cattleya intermedia orlata rio
    first day

later

season's last bluebell

rose season!
    jacqueline du pre my fav!

Maiden's blush with old rose scent

crown princess margareta with apricot scent

arisaema candidissimum w/ light floral scent

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful Abelia and Wisteria Kandhi.

Sorry Robert about being so demanding. BTW does your Buddleia waft ? Sorry, I forgot ;-) Joking aside, your flowers look beautiful. With your heliotrope, you never know, maybe it's testing you. Lol. Thanks for un-enabling me with the plumeria. Less is more.

Ordphein lovely coloured cosmos.

Kem your belle is beautiful.

Fenius, simply lovely, the rose are breathtaking. Love the alba, du Pré looks lovely and the crown princess, well.....

Here is a wafting lily flowered tulip, ballerina

• kemistry
    9 years ago

I love those bright-colored tulips. I have heard some are fragrant but havent had an opportunity to smell one. : ))

• bunti
    9 years ago

My Artabotrys

• bunti
    9 years ago

My Clivias

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bunti, that's the melon smelling one?

Here is another fragrant tulip. This is sort of a darker orange type. Doesn't waft Robert ;-)
    Triumph tulip, Prinses Irene.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Love all of the posts...

Beautiful as always...

Kanoehe Sunburst

Take care,

Laura

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

I agree with Laura love all the posts some beautiful flowers

Bunti can not wait till my Artabotrys is that size and flowers i dont think this year but maybe next :)

fenius love that Cattleya intermedia orlata rio the marking with the little flecks is really beautiful

Robert you are temptng me with the passion flower i have looked into these many times the flowers are stunning but was never sure how strong the fragrance is?
    I have been looking into PASSIFLORA PERFUME PASSION

Lamburnum one i am hoping to train as a bonsai beautiful rich honey scent

Wisteria x Caroline the flowers appear just before the leaves do strongly scented to

Fragrant Azalea

Very very fragrant Hoya Parasitica panachee this is up there with lacunosa and australis for power of fragrance from the flowers. Mine is also a variegated form

Michelia Yunnanensis

Fist Michelia Fifo of the year so love this scent

Calycanthus Athens flowers are not much to look at but boy to they smell good very similar in fragrance to Michelia figo

Two Pansy orchids they have only just opened but the white one is fragrance not sure on the other one yet

and not fragrant but still beautiful one of my Azalea bonsai i have many different color varieties of azalea bonsai just coming into flower at the mo

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Penang Peach just opening. It has one of my favorite type of scents. I imagine if there was a cake frosting made with peach flavoring, this is what it would smell like. It has a creamy undertone to my nose.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

All these tulips have me jealous.
    They hate my area.

Like peach frosting you say? Then I must get one. I'm smack dab in the middle of making peach cake and just finished the frosting.
    If there's a flower that smells like this I need it.

The radicans I purchased is opening.
    Very buttery with strong coconut tones.
    Each time I buy one I get a little further.
    The first one just shriveled and died. The second bloomed then shriveled and died. The third, bloomed, grew a little, then died.
    I'm hoping this one just lives.
    I'm very displeased with my garden this year.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful plumerias Laura and Musa.

Fragrant, you always dazzle us with your lovely displays.

Ordphien isn't it funny, we each yearn for plants we can't grow in our climate. You can treat tulips as annuals, most of them are annuals for us anyway :-)

Maybe you can grow some of the botanicals. Good luck with your radicans...

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Portland from Glendora. Of all the portlands I grow, this one seems best suited to the climate here. But flowers are a little delicate. Scent not as great as Rose de Rescht (which is somewhat akin to Mr Lincoln).

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was working in the garden, and suddenly I was engulfed by the sweet tulip scent. I hadn't planted scented tulips there.

It is difficult to describe a fragrant tulip scent as they normally don't have the honey tones of their ancestors. Normally tulips don't smell nice at least Negrita and Poppie, which were nodding their heads, smelled something like stagnant water.

Scented tulips on the other hand are sort of sweet, yet not cloying with a hint of citrus, which balances the stinking tones. Personally I prefer the honey scented botanicals, but who am I to complain.

Anyway back to my story, I was surprised that Sanne which is photogenic but rather drab in person was not only scented, but wafted 2/3 feet around it, under the blazing sun!

So, without further ado:

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Lovely phot True! Looks like Im going add tulips to my list for next year haha.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Have Rose de Rescht in ground (kind of a poor bloomer for me)
    Grand Duke Supreme
    What I believe is J105 plumeria
    White rose: Out of Yesteryear, lovely fruity fragrance, like Benjamin Britten scent, pear and apricot jam
    And more of Portland from Glendora

This post was edited by musaboru on Sat, May 24, 14 at 11:47

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lovely Musa. I love your Portland of Glendora.
    I nearly succumbed to Rose de Rescht last year, I would've loved to have some portlands, but I went for Sweet Chariot.

No more space left :-)

• User
    9 years ago

We just had a much needed rain storm, I took this

August Beauty planted next to my driveway. Smells great when you go to get into the car.
    My favorite hardy fragrant vine is blooming, I don't want to come into the house.

Confederate Jasmine "Madison", it's also evergreen which is nice.

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

I envy you and your wondeful Gardenia 'August Beauty' i can not find this Gardenia anywhere in the uk i have 2 Crown Jewels and 1 Kleim's Hardy but no August beauty :(

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Omg some one is selling them on amazon Gardenia August Beauty *Large Double Very Fragrant Flower* One Gallon ã69 around $ 116 :O

This post was edited by fragrant2008 on Mon, May 26, 14 at 13:37

• User
    9 years ago

Wow Fragrant,
    That's expensive for an August Beauty.
    Can you buy from any vendor in the US and they will ship it to you? Or is it a PITA? Just wondering, I don't know the laws about shipping plants.
    They sell them where I live for about 20.00 US.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

I got this gardenia from a very kind member here. Gardenias are without a doubt my favorites. I just wanted to share this on that opened over the weekend.

Mike

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Simply stunning mksmth :)

Yes ordering from America is a nightmare with tax charges and aload of other certificates and forms its odd i can order from say Thailand no problem but America is another story. I have done in the past but from individuals not vendors ;)

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Some more blooms from me.

Brunfelsia jamaicensis... smells so much like mangoes!! It desperately needs a bigger pot, though. Lol.

And here is another favorite:
    Around 8pm:

and 45 minnutes later:

• kandhi
    9 years ago

Kemistry, Brunfelsia's are my favorite, they are pest fress and easy to maintain indoors. where did you get your Brunfelsia jamaicensis, I need to get one?

What is the 2nd plant, some kind of magnolia?

• kemistry
    9 years ago

I got this brunfelsia from Logees. The second plant is magnolia coco. You need both. Lol. My mag coco is from Thailand but Gardino does have it occasionally.

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Kemisty does the coco flower only last one night? and how many blooms do you get in a year?

• kandhi
    9 years ago

Kemistry, I have too many magnolia's (grandiflora, greenbay, yellow flowering butterflies) in my garden and would not want to buy anymore to maintain indoors. I am struggling to maintain michelia alba indoors as it grows so fast and has spider mites problem during winter.. Just too many plants indoors..but would definitely go for brunfelsia jamaican. How do you rate the fragrance from other brunfelsia's?

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lovely photos everyone.

Here is the diminutive scented daff, Golden Dawn. It is less than inch wide.

The white daff is Fragrant rose, it is supposed to smell like roses, the first batch I got didn't smell nice! Now the weather has been so cold and rainy that it's hard to smell anything :-)

And finally the anis smelling flowers of Sweet Cicely or Myrrhis odorata.

Btw, it seems that gardenweb has been having problems sending email updates. So don't be surprised if no one comments ;-)

This post was edited by true-blue on Wed, May 28, 14 at 15:57

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Nice, blue! Daffs always look so cheery.

Fragrant- Yes, mag coco's flower lasts 1 night (and 1 day). Similar to Magnolia egg, very fragrant for the first hours, then mildly scented the rest of the time.
    It smells like melon. Really nice! ;)
    The first year I got 1 bloom; last year I got around 6? This year maybe more. I like how it stays short and pushes out a bud at the end of each new branch. Each branch on mine is only around 6 inches long.
    But mine stays indoors 24/7 and it doesn't get that much sunlight. A better growing environment will yeild more blooms, I'm sure.

Kandhi-- jamaicensis smells different from the other brunfelsia in my opinion. If I close my eyes and sniff it, it'll remind me of mango mixed with lavender. This plant doesn't have the same wafting power as a gigantea, for example, but its scent really makes up for it. I'm interested on hearing your opinion of this plant; not sure why it isn't popular.

• Ruby Chang
    9 years ago

Kemistry!!! Your brunfelsia looks so so so wonderful. I am beyond jealous. I just got an Brunfelsia americana from Accents this year, and so far it is still quite small (it has grown 5 leaves since, haha).

Mike, what type of gardenia is that??? I have one that looks suspiciously like it but I never found out what kind it is. I really really want to find out b/c that kind has such a long bloom season!!! Somebody please help me identify this beautiful gardenia!

My first michelia alba bloom of the year.
    And my first Gardenia frostproof bloom ever (I have had it for about 2 years).

Ruby

• Ruby Chang
    9 years ago

Frostproof

• Aida Medina
    9 years ago

That is so nice

• Aida Medina
    9 years ago

Love my new parsley mock.... So beautiful!