Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me choose a jasmine from Logees!!

Posted by kris2001 6a - s.e.PA (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 12:47

Hi
I am buying few plants from Logee's. I need to add a jasmine in that order.I live in s.e.PA (z6a) and here is what I need:

Jasmine that can grow in a pot. That can be moved into my basement which can get to 48F min. in peak winter. So it needs to go dormant and come back reliably in Spring.

Jasmine that has a long bloom time.

My Choices so far are:
Hardy jasmine
http://logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1385-2

Poets jasmine
http://logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1683-2

Please suggest what I can get from Logee's only! Pls use link below and search by "jasmine".
http://logees.com/searchprods.asp

Tks--Kris z6a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me choose a jasmine from Logees!!

Can someone advice me here? I have a week to change my order...!

o

IF I was to order from logees again (I won't), I would go with the hardy jasmine, much less tempermental than the poets, and it may survive. I finally got a 2nd maid of orleans to stay alive from them, and the funny thing is...is that a cutting I took from the plant seems to be doing better than the mother plant.

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 18:17

I'm with mersie, the grandiflorum types are easier to flower, but then again I don't like the fragrance of the poet's jasmine that much anyway.

You might consider the trachelosperum 'mandianum' aka Asian Jasmine -- not a true jasminum species but very tough and awesome cinnamon fragrance!

Jim

o

Go with the hardy jasmine. It may be hardy to our zone - I usually bring mine in, but I'm going to put out a cutting and see how it does. It's easy to root it if you want more. You do have to cut it back pretty hard. I don't know if it will go dormant, but it needs quite cool temperatures to flower well. It smells REALLY wonderful and you can make tea from the flowers.

o

Chris, if you're looking for an interesting Jasmine, one that blooms year round, evergreen, go with 'Maid of Orleans.' The best nursery to buy from is Accents For Home and Garden. He sells other Jasmines, too, much larger, (4" pots, not 2 1/2) less expensive, and healhier than Logees. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here