Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My maid of orleans is growing funny, i want it bushier

Posted by katsols 7b (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 13:25

This is my jasmine maid of orleans, it's awesome! it gives so many flowers at a time but i'm annoyed at the fact that it's only two straight branches.. very unnatractive, i want it bushier and rounder, how should i prune it and how much? Also i just found a root coming out from the bottom of the pot, time to repot? I'm gonna bring it out to the yard this week since our nighttime temperatures are in the 50's and days in high 60's.
I appreciate any advice =]
 photo IMG_2419_zpsa3994147.jpg

This post was edited by katsols on Mon, May 6, 13 at 13:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My maid of orleans is growing funny, i want it bushier

Mine looked like that when I got it. They really don't mind pruning much, so cut back however you want. I cut back to a node. The new branch will grow from the side of the node (where the leaf is). If you're nervous about it, just prune one branch and see how it grows back. Then you'll have a good idea of what to expect when pruning the other branch.

Hope this helps!

Stephanie

o

I agree with Stephanie. I cut my sambac jasmines back to about a foot or two each year and replace the potting mix (I shake off as much of the old mix from the roots as I can) and either pot up into a larger pot or trim some roots if I'm using the same pot it was growing in and use fresh fast draining potting mix (I make my own 5:1:1 mix).

Jasminum sambac is a tough plant. Maid of Orleans was my first jasmine and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Oh, don't forget to fertilize!
I prefer the slow release Dynamite fertilizer in the potting mix and diluted Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro every two weeks or so.

Before you know it you'll have a bushier jasmine with tons of blooms. :)

-Robert

o

Thank you guys =] i'll re-pot and prune this weekend.

o

I find it's difficult to get a really dense shrubby look with sambacs because they are somewhat vining in nature.

I agree with the others. You can prune and pot up. Trimming it back every so often will force it to make more branches from each node. Then you trim those back when they've grown out and flowered.

Another thing you can try is to root the trimmings, then add those to the pot. Putting three or four cuttings per pot will help to fill up the space and give a bushier, fuller appearance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here