Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gardenia won't stand up

Posted by melis001 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 13:43

I have a 3 year old gardenia that is having issues standing straight up. It bends over if it doesn't have support. It has a lot of blossoms, this is the first year it is doing this. Here is a link with the tree supported with a tomato cage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gardenia won't stand up

You'll need to find another way to attach an image. Your link is not accomplishing what you intended.

o

I can't see your picture either, but have a few comments: the branches on a gardenia loaded with buds do tend to droop some. This morning, the branches on mine were drooping even more because they were wet with rain.

Stake your plant up to the shape you want it in and quit worrying. As the plant gets older the trunk will strengthen more and conform to the shape it's staked in.

o

And or you could trim it back and encourage it to grow shorter and more compacted.

Hello Rhizo and Mehitabel!

Mike

o

Hi back atcha, Mike :D

o

Melis001,
After the gardenia blooms, cut it down to be more compact,
and stop putting miracle grow on it.
Only fertilize it once in the spring, by adding composted manure on top of the soil, then mulch over that.
Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here