Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
risingpower1

Michelia figo (skinneriana?)

risingpower1
18 years ago

Is the skinneriana only fragrant during the daytime? I got a figo just a few weeks ago from a nursery, with larger plants for £12.75 and smaller for £20, which came from dutch stock. Got both of them now, and the buds on the smaller ones started to open today and there was a very strong smell, but when I came back today, nothing.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• cweathersby
    18 years ago

I've got figos and they are only fragrant at certain times of the day- for me that is once it is really warm in the afternoon. 2pm till after dark.
    The skinnerias I am new to. Just got 4 the other day. But the professor at the garden sale where I bought them said that they were "improved" banana shrubs, blooming more profusely, but otherwise the same as M. figo. The professor said that m. skinneria is going to replace M. figo in the nursery trade.
    The big huge mature banana shrubs at Stephen F. Austin University's Arboretum are only fragrant in the afternoon/evening. I assume that they are M. figos since the skinnerias are new and would not be that mature.
    Hope this helps.
    Quick answer would be: yes they are both fragrant but only in the afternoon/evening.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

The skinneriana is listed as a botanical variety of figo.

• risingpower1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marvellous, 3 buds have just lost their petals, probably died. Any ideas why? There was a sudden burst of fragrance last afternoon, nothing past 5, and now, 3 of the flowers seem to have, well, died(the stigma is still alive, but the petals fell off).

• cweathersby
    18 years ago

They loose their petals and leave the stigma there. At least that's what mine do. More blooms will come from different places along the stem. Don't worry.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Some magnolias (incl. Michelia) have very short-lived flowers.

• risingpower1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's all well and good, if the buds actually fully open first.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Aborting I would expect indicated wet roots, unsuitable temperatures, some other trauma.

• marlene_9ca
    18 years ago

The best way to enjoy Michelia Figo is when they are still in buds(1/4 opened). When they are 1/2 or fully opened, the petals will fall really easily. Asian ladies like to pinch them and placed behind their ears for whole day's perfume. I normally pinch and place in a cup with a wet tissue, and it will perfume my whole room when the temperature is right normally during the afternoon and through the evening.

• risingpower1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hm, maybe I may have knocked them. Hope the next buds survive.

• shadowlover
    18 years ago

I've noticed a couple very differences between my Figo and Skinneriana, now that I have both. I swear the Figo smells more like a cross between juicy-fruit and bubble gum to me, where the other smells like banana and rum. I also noticed that the scent is stronger when watered. Am I crazy?

Figo blossoms seems to shatter far easier than the other too, but it is newly purchased and planted. BTW, a shot of epsom salts sure did seem to work wonders on greening them up. I sure do love them both!

• risingpower1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well regardless, it has now lost all the petals on every bud, and my other figo seems to have stalled, buds aren't getting any larger and no recent show of leaf growth, maybe it'll resume when it gets warmer. It lost petals no matter what I did, inside, outside, watered, dry, sunny, dull, warm, cold, fertilized, not.

I gave up with trying to keep the flowers on that one, got one whiff one day and that was it, not sure that I like the smell "that" much either.