Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Mysore Mulli Jasmine

My tiny Mysore Mulli Jasmine (Jasminum sambac 'Mysore Mulli') that I bought on eBay finally bloomed!

It smells awesome. I'm finding it hard to decide which has a stronger scent, Mysore Mulli or Belle of India. When Mysore first opens at night I'd say it beats Belle however during the day I think Belle has a stronger scent.

Either way I think they're both awesome jasmines and I want both of them. Laugh.

-Robert

Comments (10)

• kemistry
    11 years ago

I like the look of this! Very beautiful! Is it a fast grower? : )

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a beautiful flower! My partner is in love with it even more than me. Laugh.
    When I first got it on 4/11 there were some flower buds that fell off after I shook the existing soil off the roots and repotted using a fast draining mix. It's now blooming so I'm going to say it is a fast grower. I'll let everyone know how big it gets by the end of the growing season. :)

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Nice flower Robert! Please let us know how long the flowers last. Belle of India for me didn't last longer than a day.

By the way, have you guise seen the mislabled Grand Duke on eBay from a seller in El Monte, CA? I was wondering what variety this could be. This was probably originally imported from Taiwan as some of the Oriental nurseries in Calif. get their exotic stock (such as Magnolia coco) from there I assume.
    -Dar

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hello,
    I just got a mysore mulli as well Robert! You always seem to post about plants I just got! and a mali pikul..Did you get yours from dhan? Mine arrived two weeks ago and I'll have to wait for a bloom..
    I can't find the mislabeled grand duke, though.
    which sambac do u guys like best?
    I have these two and another I found at a flower show but it didn't say which cultivar it is & I forgot to take pictures when it bloomed. The flowers lasted one day, were rather small and round and turned red-purple when they fell on the floor. Smelled like jasmine oil in a bottle!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dar,

The blooms open at night and only last a day. Wish they'd hang around longer but they sure smell heavenly while they're here! :)

Fenius,

Yes. I got mine from Dhan as well. Quit trying to tempt me with another sambac! ;)
    My fav is still Belle of India. Such a high, sweet note that sort of reminds me of honeysuckle.

So we're getting the same plants at the same time? Do you have any Plumerias? Kemistry has been a bad influence and I now have 3. I've only smelled one of them and they're all from Jungle Jack's: Inca Gold, California Sunset (smells exotic like peach/coconut or something) and a 'Premium White' which JJ's calls 'Ken's White' (you won't find this on the label, I had to email them to get the info). I was hoping for a 'Scentsational' (a Plumeria that Kemistry told me about that is supposed to smell amazing)but it turns out JJ's is now offering 'Ken's White' as their standard white (look for KW on the trunk). 'Scentsational' has FW on the trunk.
    This forum is really bad at tempting us into getting more and more fragrant beauties! :)

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

I have three plumerias as well! A standard celadine that I grow for 5 years, and two new cuttings I got from someone in Thailand this winter; one was called brown thai hybrid and the other fancy smth, can't remember.Besides the sambacs I also got the millingtonia hortensis from dhan and it's growing fast now..My last find was a mitrephora wangii from someone in Germany, I hope it survives!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Fenius,

I just ordered a 'Celadine'. Laugh.
    What's your thoughts on its scent?
    And now you've got me interested in Mitrephora wangii!
    You maybe as bad an influence as Kemistry. ;)

-Robert

• chubite
    11 years ago

Hey Robert,

If you're interested in growing fragrant plumies try to get stenopetala which has a very fragrant heavy scent like gardenia from florida colors.
    I sniffed and owned it last year but the grafted part died this spring and already bought it again..lol..that's how much I loved it:)
    IMO it's more fragrant than Singapore obtusa plumie.

• fenius
    11 years ago

Well I can't really say how celadine compares to other plumerias since it's the only one I've ever smelled but I really love its fragrance, it reminds me a little of magnolia (grandiflora) but it is more subtle; less oily and finer, maybe mixed with lemons as they say but it also has an exotic note that "citrusy" does not really describe.. I have to say, this forum is destructive to will power, every post seems to instigate another obsession!
    Oh, my tiny pikul jasmine that I mentioned above is about to flower, I will soon post a picture too!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wonderful description of 'Celadine'! Thank you for sharing. Mine is on its way. :)
    Please do post your 'Pikul' jasmine and let us know what you think of its scent.

-Robert