Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

If you believe in God or a Higher consciousness, please PRAY

mersiepoo
14 years ago

That my new, absolutely BOOTIFUL gardenia vetchii stays as beautiful as it is right now! :) It is HUGE, no buds, but it is so nice and dark green! My mom got it for me for my birthday, it was on SALE for $25 bucks too! I kicked all the other plants out of the house so it could have the primo space near the window. The lady that my mom got it from said that it doesn't like direct sun, to fertilize it with a half dilution of miracid once a month and keep it moist. Gee, now how hard could that be, right? LOL! I must admit I felt fear when I brought inside to my house. I am afraid that it'll start losing leaves right and left! I did water it, since it's pretty pot bound and the soil felt dry.

So, if you believe in any supreme being, or God, please send good vibes to this big gardenia that she (I think it's a she) survives and thrives in my humble abode. I'm going to look for azalea food for her too.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (12)

• jeff_al
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

why do you not let it live outside for the summer?

• User
    14 years ago

Hi Mersipoo,
    I was wondering when you were going to post a pic of your new baby.
    She's Gorgeous!!!!!
    Now the very next chance you have, march down to a Walmart or Kmart or hardware store and buy a MOISTURE METER.
    You can't grow a potted gardenia in your house without one.
    They cost about 3.00 at Walmart, that is where I bought mine.
    My gardenias are in the ground, but I still use it.
    You can put it outside for the summer, under a tree so it doesn't get afternoon sun, but I know you want it in the house to enjoy it up close and personal every day.
    Moisture meter remember. Don't forget.
    You can't overwater it if you test it.
    I hope it blooms for you soon, it is stunning.
    GOod Luck!

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

(stage whisper) Thanks guys, but the strange thing is that I don't have a problem with the watering schedule thingy...shhhhh don't tell it I said that..it's the fertilization schedule that does them in for me..and the cold of winter. I would put it outside, but then it would get infested with all the spidermites that my other plants now have. It's got a nice window that gets morning sun. I make sure to rotate it so it doesn't get too much shade in the back. I also have a gro light on it so it gets enough light.
    I would LOVE to put it outside, but then I would have problems with the mites, aphids (I do get those every year ugh), and God knows what else. Plus, they say to keep them away from hot/cold drafts...and I know that if a bird lands near it, the wind from it's wings would make the plant keel over.

I have learned however..to not let it soak in the bathtub for hours and hours so that the fertilizer leaches out the hole and I won't use vinegar, as that helped do in my other gardenia.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mersie,

She is sooo Pretty!! I am so happy for you and a Happy Belated Birthday!

I am sure she will do just fine...I am rooting for you! Definitely don't soak it in the tub for hours on end,lol...water well, and let the soil dry just a little before you water again. Mine stays under some oak trees and only get filtered sun in the early morning. No sun at all in the afternoon. I do have to use an outdoor systemic for it, like you said it gets mealies, scales. Ah, the work and all the TLC that goes in gardenias is very high, why oh why do we put up with it? The flowers and the scent is the answer...I guess?

Good Luck and please keep us posted on its progress.

BTW, has anyone heard from Toni(Hopefulauthor) lately? I hope she's okay...I miss not seeing her posts.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

What animal have you sacrificed to the Gods yet?
    Have you bought your insence....musk preferrably?
    How many fasts are you going to do....?
    No witch doctors right?
    And best of all, do you promise not to shower in the nude and sing around them?
    Not to make threats of beheadings or torture?
    No talking behind their backs?
    If yes to all these questions, your in luck.
    I will send a peace offering up above to the same denia God you worship and hope he watches over mine too....:-)

I am so glad to see you again, and yet again, starting your own thread....Hurray!!!

One question though?

What does she mean no direct sunlight? I though gardenias were sun worshippers?

P.S.....Toni, she is one of the most sweetest persons anyone could ever meet. She has bee through some very difficult times that can zap anyones energies, and I am sure she appreciates all your kind words...
    Say some prayers for her too. Maybe the same God that will make our denias strong will take care of her too, and bring her back with a vengence!!

Love you toni, and hugs to all!!!

Mike..:-)

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha, you guys are awesome! :) Thank you for the b-day wishes Pug! The gardenia was the best present I got in a long time, lol! So far it's still living...shhhhhh! The plant is extreeeeemly well rooted, the roots can be seen in the pot holes, so it is drinking water very quickly! I put 2 lights on her and also have her in the best seat in the house! So far so good, but I won't say anything else since you know if I do what will happen! ;)

Does anyone know when its supposed to (ha ha) bloom? It only says it's a gardenia veitchii, didn't give further information other than that! So far no sign of any buds, I'm hoping I can keep her alive till she blooms at least!

I'd hate to have to sacrifice something to the gardenia gods ya know. Sorry Mike, I forgot to buy any incense, lol! I'll have to be nice to it for a change, see if that works! :D

Hope everyone is doing great, hope Toni is allright, anyone heard from her?

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hey you!!!!!!!lololololol

Listen, want something to put you even more into shock!
    By brothers gardenia I had talked about before, is in FULL bloom in his bedroom. It hasn't seen the outdoors since last year!!!!! Get a hold of that. His wife says she loves the fragrance in the bedroom..Go figure ha.
    I couldn't believe my eyes!!!
    But ha, some of the leaves are starting to yellow up..lolololol

Toni. we miss you!!!!!
    Lots of love from ALL!!!!!!!!

Mike

• User
    14 years ago

Mersipoo,
    Save your money this summer and get this one to plant outside your house, it will live where you live
    {{gwi:795341}}

Chuck Hayes
    {{gwi:795342}}
    It will live in PA outside if you sit it on a side of your house that gets sun in the winter time, if you have one.
    My veitchii gardenia bloomed in May only.
    SHe died a very unpleasant death falling out of a car window on the I95.
    Your gardenia will be blooming shortly.
    Good luck with it.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Butterfly, those pics are GORGEOUS!!! Are they both "chuck hayes'? I can't imagine that any gardenia would live outside here, but it's worth a shot! :)

You guys are so funny!! Butterfly, woah! You pushed YOURS out a car window while driving down a highway?!? COOL! I never thought about doing THAT, lol! Wow, you must've really mad at her, lol!!

This one I have will probably die during winter time, but I do have a plan, I'm going to get a heat mat for it, maybe a humidity tent too! And I'll try to send it love instead of being afraid of the plant, ha ha!

Now IF she dies, I'll try to plant a gardenia that butterfly suggested outside, so it can die or get eaten by deer, ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I know that they say deer don't eat gardenias, but ours will eat anything and everything they can get their lips on.

Mike, LOL! So gardenias like the bedroom, eh? Ha ha! I didn't know they were voyeurs!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

It can get pretty hot in there according to by brother!!

Maybe they like heated rooms ha..lololol
    Just yesterday I was there again and counted 6 blooms!!!Man!
    They still havn't put it outside...She has never looked up anything on denias, nor does she know of anything of them. she just waters!!!!lolol;-(
    I sent her home with 5 of my plants to care for..indefinately...

• User
    14 years ago

Mersipoo,
    You are too funny!
    The Chuck Hayes is still blooming away and the smell is really almost too strong.
    I keep dead heading the blooms and it keeps blooming.
    A philadelphian posted on this forum that his Chuck Hayes was 5 feet tall and he had to prune it back it was getting too big, and he had it in his yard.
    He didn't have deer to eat it, but you never know.
    My radicans are getting ready to bloom soon I think out back.
    Either that, or they are just teasing before they drop their buds in front of my face.
    GOod Luck with new denia!

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Merci, Pug, Mike thanks so much. You all made me smile today.
    Merci, I've been doing quite a bit of praying lately, I'll add one more prayer and hopefully HE will hear.
    BTW, Belated Happy Birthday. When was the special day? It was very nice of your mom giving you such a beautiful plant. It's healthy, lush, and very green. Does your mom enjoy plants too?
    You mentioned a problem adding vinager? What happened?
    It's too bad you can't summer your new Gardenia outside. Those nasty mites are terrors.
    I thank God my plants have been bug free, well, all except one. A succulent called Tiger's Jaw. I spotted white gook a couple months back, cleaned w/rubbing alcohol, but those little sh*t's won..Mealy are the worse.
    Mersi, what have you used to rid mites? Do you use chemicals?
    My plants are showered, but never left in tub/sink filled with water for days..I do soak African Violets and a few other tropicals like Anthuriums, but after the top of soil is wet, plants are then air dried then placed in their spot. I've also learned, the hard way, soaking shouldn't be done at night, especially if chilly/cold.

My new Gardenias, for the most part, died. I'm not saying I'm not to blame, (in part it's my fault) but when they arrived, after thorough inspection, leaves weren't in the best of health. Most had light brown, soft spots. Is anyone familiar with these spots? Could it be a fungus? If anyone here grows roses, and have dwelt with, think it's called brown or black spot, the gardenia leaves looked simiar to rose spots.

Merci, I looked at the photo of your new gardenia, and she/he? looks very very healthy. You are so funny though..Don't fear your plant..I honestly think, like pets, plants sense our feelings. Did you ever hear stories about dogs who smell fear in someone, and even though the dog is gentle, will actually harass that person? This happened to my little sister at a picnic one time.
    Or ever see the Andy Griffith episode where Aunt Bea takes care of a baby. Everytime she lifts the child, the little girl screams. At the end, Opie fed the baby blueberry pie. Aunt Bea comes home and thinks the baby's face turned blue, isn't breathing. She swoops the child in her arms, calling for Andy to notify the town doctor. But this time, the baby doesn;t cry. The reason was because she sensed Aunt Bea was no longer afraid of her but for her. End of story. I'm sure everyone reading this is happy hearing about Aunt Bea. lol.
    But I really believe plants sense our moods. We show them who's boss, they'll respond with a 'beauty pageant.' Flowers and healthy leaves.

As for sun, my tree gardenia lives out front facing mostly west, some south and north. It gets a lot of afternoon sun, 'when we have sun, surely not this year.' I set it out some time in April. Some nights were in the 30's, and a few 80F days. Thank the stars it's doing fine..no flowers, but I think the reason is, too much rain, no time to dry out, no fertilizer or Superthrive, but the foliage is find. It gave me a big scare when still inside. That's the reason it went outside. Anyway, HAPPY BIRTDAY..

Pug, I hope you're well too..and the pups. With spring, I bet your plants are beautiful. lots of flowers? How are your fruit trees doing? And Coffee tree. Citrus. etc, etc.

Mike, it's always great hearing from you. How are your plants doing? Any new additions? If so, please post. And how are you coming along?

I hope everyone is well, it's great talking to you guys again. I missed you all. But things happen, life isn't always a bowl of cherries, unfortunately. My husband had surgery last week, the same time I came down with stomach flu, not to mention my puter kicked the bucket. All in one week!

Oh Butterfly, before I forget, how in the world did your plant fly out of a car window, on the highway?????
    That's so sad. And dangerous, too. Thankfully, no one was hurt, other than your plant..Wow!

Take care everyone..hugs, luv ya all..Toni...Amen