Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningangel38

My gardenia looks sick

GardeningAngel38
10 years ago

I originally posted this in the southern gardening forum, but I was told that I could possibly get help here. I have a gardenia that seems to be getting sick. It is not sprouting new leaves anymore and it seems to be turning brown at the tips. I don't have it in full sun. I let it get sun in the morning and then it has shade in the afternoon. I don't want it to die. I heard that gardenias are hard to grow. I hope not, because I love the flowers. Besides, my sister-in law has 2 in containers, and they are doing fine. She does not know why mine are not. We are both in the same zone :(
Can someone tell me what is going on with my little shrub?

Thanks a bunch.

Comments (9)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

in regards to your title. Whose doesn't look bad? LOL.

Sorry I'm no help mine always die.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Mon, May 13, 13 at 22:29

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Like Mike mine usually die shortly after Mother's Day. So I am no help either.
    Just sympathizing with you.

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Have you checked those leaves for spidermites?

The #1 reason a gardenia dies is because of overwatering. Just watch your watering habit from now on. The leaves will get yellowed and will drop but the plant will be fine after some time. Use a fast draining mix the next time you repot. Or if you are growing it in a regular potting mix, it'll help significantly if you keep your plant in a small clay pot. : )

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Kemistry is right..Almost always unhappy roots is the culprit.

It is always either too much watering, a mix that takes too long to dry out, or accumulated salts in heavier mixes due to tap water and fertilizer residual.

I would make sure the root system is white, make sure you are using a very good porous mix, make sure you are flushing your mix out with rain or fresh water, and use a wooden dowel or lift your pot to make sure when it is the next time to water.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• GardeningAngel38
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now that I think about it, we had some very rainy days and the soil was still wet when I touched it, so overwatering could be the culprit.The yellowing started shortly after the rain spells. Gardenias really hate wet feet! Lol!

Thanks Kemistry and Mike!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I'd put it where the sun can shine on it more.

• tolip
    10 years ago

Personally I think the #1 reason for gardenias dying is because there's is an over emphasis on using acidic fertilizers. Too acidic and some form of chlorosis sets in and eventually kills the plant.

I have been growing gardenias for over two years now and have NEVER used any acidic fertilizers. My plants are flourishing and have even propagated many more plants through cuttings.

Stop using any more acidic fert and as for your plant any fert for the moment. Sun the plant as much as you can and flush it normally as required.

Enjoy gardenias!

• GardeningAngel38
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I don't use fertilizers on my acid lovers. Only banana peels and coffee grinds. I have 10 pine trees in my backyard, so the soil is acidic enough. I just take some of the soil and pine needles that accumulate around the tress and pile it around the plants. I try to take the organic route unless I have no other choice but to use chemicals.

I just put the gardenia in the ground out of the pot in a sunnier spot yesterday. I hope it improves.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

"I just put the gardenia in the ground out of the pot in a sunnier spot yesterday." That's a general recipe for improvement for about any sun-loving plant! And banana peels are MAGIC, no doubt.