Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Dwarf Gardenia Care

Posted by scenter 7 GA (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 07 at 15:47

Earlier this spring, I succumbed to the lure of a small plant: a Variegated Dwarf Gardenia. Currently it is on my deck in a pot, and will be blooming shortly. It will probably do fine here until mid October without much fuss. My question is regarding the best way to overwinter it.

I have 'regular' Gardenia August Beauty growing in my yard, and that plant is hardy here, not requiring much care. Is the mini one also hardy in this manner? In other words - plant it in the ground to overwinter it (pot and all?).

Would it be fine in its pot on the deck to overwinter it here just north of Atlanta? (deck is south facing.) In other words just let it be.

Should it be brought indoors? (usually a kiss of death to gardenias in my experience) If so where? South window with a humidity tray? Indirect Sun?

Thanks in Advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Dwarf Gardenia Care

Scenter, I don't know if the dwarf variegated gardenias are hardy to your area, but if you have to set indoors, a south window is fine..Also, a humidifying tray, or better yet, a humidifer will help w/humidity..I also mist daily..*(I just got the same plant at almostedenplants.com)
But as far as my standard tree gardenias, they're over-wintered in a south window..water less on cloudy days. Soil should be medium dry before watering..Don't allow plant to sit in water, otherwise plant will develop insects. In summer, 'denias should be placed outside, first in shady area, gradually brining out to semi-sunny..Keep out till mid-aumumn..I leave mine out till days/nights are in the 40's. I feed w/azlalea food during growing season. (follow container directions of dosage and times) That's about it..Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here