Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkt38238

any recommendation on *night blooming* fragrant plant?

nkt38238
17 years ago

Hi,

Can someone please recommend very fragrant plant that blooms at night? Preferably, something that blooms a lot during summer nights.

I have 4-5 yr. old night blooming Jasmine in ground (N. Cali.-Z9), but it for some reason blooms only once a year (August). I am not sure why it does not bloom more often. It does not get >3-4 hours sun. Anyway, that's probably a separate question I will post sometime on forum.

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• ariel73
    17 years ago

Moonflower vine
    4 oclocks
    butterfly ginger- I know it is more of a day fragrance, but they are really fragrant at night too.
    lady of the night- Brunfelsia

I know there are more but that is all I can think of at the moment

• kasiec
    17 years ago

Brugmansias or Angel's Trumpet is a good plant for night time scent. And the good thing is that it can be easily propagated.

Kasie

• nomadic
    17 years ago

These might be worth a try:
    Epiphyllum oxypetalum "Night Blooming Cereus"
    Zaluzianskya capensis "Night Phlox"
    Good luck.
    J

• pennycp
    17 years ago

Cestrum Nocturnum - Night blooming Jasmine - I love love love this plant!!!!

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Rondelettia splendens -- Panama Rose

Only fragrant after 10pm, intoxicating, haunting fragrance, blooms all summer, large plants are almost everblooming.

The catch? Not everyone can smell this one; try it if you can find it!

You can also try brunfelsia jamaica and lactea, hoya lacunosa and pubicalyx, brassavola nodosa (an easy to grow orchid)

Many books on fragrant plants have sections on night fragrance, hit the library or bookstore for more research.

Jim

• lynnencfan
    17 years ago

datura inoxia had got to be one of the most fragrant night blooming plant I have ever had - it would just fill the whole yard with its scent, flowers are huge and the hummingbird moth just loves it. It is closely related to jimpson weed which discourages some people but my what a lovely plant.This is the one in our yard and one night it had 83 blooms on it - around 40-50 was the norm. It will self seed and is perennial for me so it should be for you also.

{{gwi:398823}}

Lynne

• abq_bob
    17 years ago

Datura is definitely the winner in my yard as well. I got my first blooms last weekend and it will bloom every night until first freeze. Completely fills my backyard with its awesome fragrance! If I could only grow one plant in my yard, this would be it.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

On either side of my driveway where it enters the carport, I have beds of petunias and nicotiana. Petunias are sweetly scented, nicotiana is spicy. They're a treat, at night. They've been bloming now for a month and show no signs of letting up. Easy from seed, or you can buy little trays of plants.

Gardenias are blooming now. They're fragrant day and night.

Nell

• joanmary_z10
    17 years ago

Cananga Odorata - ylang ylang tree. Chanel #5 perfume
    Brunfelsia Gigantica - gardenia-like fragrance
    Brunfelsia Lactea - rich, glorious fragrance
    Brunfelsia Nitida - clove fragrance
    Brunfelsia Americana - clove fragrance
    Cestrum Nocturnum - waft 's widely. Sooo strong
    Brugmansia Insignis (baby powder) - lovely frag
    Dracaena fragrans `Massangeana'The common Corn Plant. Dont have it near a bedroom - it's so strong, it could be headachy

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner