Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rajiram_gw

Nurseries near San Diego and LA

Raji Ram
10 years ago

Hi all,
I live in Bay area, SFO. I will be going to LA and San Diego next month.
I am planning to visit nurseries that sell fragrant plants. Please let me know if you know any
Thank you
Raji

Comments (21)

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

I like these two nurseries which are a couple of blocks away from each other. They're located in Orange County, CA. They have rarer fragrant tropical plants that you don't see in regular nurseries.

Greenmart
    400 W Lincoln Ave
    Orange, CA

Upland nusery
    1518 N Tustin St Orange, CA 92867

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you
    Raji

• bunti
    10 years ago

Raji,

If possible, Can you buy a artabotrys and ship it to me?

Thanks,

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Raji,

I stopped by both and had an awesome experience at Green Mart so I highly recommend
    them. The other one not so much. Snooty owner and workers, overpriced and non existence customer service but its close enough to Green Mart so you might as well take a look.

Green Mart has tons of M. Alba and a few Ylang Ylang vines left. I bought the last two larger sized Aglaia but they have some 1 gal left.

If you like plumerias then be sure to stop by Jungle Jack's in Vista, ca.

Bunti the Ylang Ylang vines are pretty tall like five feet and up so can Raji ship that? I don't remember seeing anything smaller.

Have a great time!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Temple Nursery east of Los Angeles has Michelia coco. Last time I was there, the 5 gallon plants are about $60 about 1 meter tall and full of buds.

I suggest calling to avoid any surprises regarding prices or stock (it does not match their website).

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the great tips.
    Bunti, I am not an expert in packing and shipping plants;I don't mind buying and shipping seeds. Hope you understand.

• bunti
    10 years ago

Np Raji, I can understand you. And you are visiting LA, you might not have enought time to do something for me.

I have liked the no-clue's plant. The variety I have is not same as the no-clue's plant. I wanted to have that variety.

I have contacted greenmart and they don't do shipping.
    I wish someone can help me.

• bunti
    10 years ago

Can someone please buy the plant and ship it?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Bunti send me an email. It's musaboru@hotmail.com

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Bunti,

Dhan is selling Artabotrys siamensis right now on eBay.
    I don't know if this is the artabotrys you are looking for or not but Dhan has great plants. Highly recommend buying from him. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Artabotrys siamensis on eBay

• bunti
    10 years ago

Robert,

I have got one from dhan. I feel green mart is having different variety. if you compare the flower structure it looks different. below is the plant i have got from dhan and the flower looks like this. ( i feel bad to say that this plant died).

10 years ago

So sorry you lost it! I really wanted a scent report! I've heard A. siamensis has a lemony but light scent but of course I'm still curious. ;)

You're probably looking for Artabotrys hexapetalus which TT carries as well as Aloha Tropicals.
    Knowing me I'll probably try one sometime in the future. :)

-Robert

• bunti
    10 years ago

I have got another plant from dhan. but its small.
    I don't recommand aloha tropicals. I have 1 bad
    experience and the plant they sell are very tiny. In mar, i have been to TT, their plants are also small. I didn't buy one from them.

Do you think my flower and no-clues flowers are different?
    is it me seeing the difference?

10 years ago

I have no info on artabotrys since I've never grown any however No-Clue's is probably A. hexapetalus (at least I'm assuming that).

How did Dhan's A. siamensis smell before it died? Or did it die before it developed a scent?

-Robert

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Robert,

Based on the flowers shape and the scent I am guessing mine is an A. Hexapetalus as well.

As for Aloha Tropicals if they are the same folks that I met at the last year's flower show... then I cannot recommend them either. I posted about them last year in the plumeria forum. Not honest folks. I don't like feeling like I have been ripped off. I'm a good customer (meaning I buy a lot) and I like to be treated w/ respect, fairness and honesty. If I get that I will come back again and again and I will refer people. But as is... I can't say my experience with them was a positive one.

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all,

I went to greenmart last saturday. and got A.Hexapetalus, Jasmine, Aglaia, Osmanthus and sweet osmanthus. Almost all the plants no-clue bought. All of them were with flowers filling the car with fragrance the whole trip

I got 30 min to do my shopping .Not a lot of time to go through the nursery with kids and family waiting in the car. I forgot to ask them about ceylon cinnamon. I have been looking for this plant for last two years.Came to know that they carry this plant too through one of my other post.
    I bought all these plants but still sad for making that stupid mistake.

Hi bunti,
    I know how you feel.. Did you get A.Hexa. Those plant are very big. Try to get them so you will have flowers soon.
    If you don't find anything else, I can ship my smaller one which is two years old. Email me raji_100@hotmail.com

Raji

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow you are one fast shopper!! I don't think I can shop under pressure like that.

I'm so glad you were able to get everything on your list except for the one.

Now what's the difference btw Osmanthus and sweet Osmanthus? I bought one Osmanthus from Greenmart and then I ordered a Fudingzhu Osmanthus from Almost Eden. Don't tell me the Sweet Osmanthus is the Fudingzhu?! If so then I should have gotten in from Greenmart since AE is only 2.5" pot. LOL.

So did you rent a Uhaul or how did you get everything back home? LOL.

• bunti
    10 years ago

Raji, mine was also the same situation when i went to tt in march. My kids( 4 years and 2 years old are sitting in the car. I picked few plants and ran back to car. I feel so bad that i didnt get time to look around and shop.

Thanks for offering your plant. I have 5 small plants and 1big plant, looking for blooming size plant. Musaboro got one plant for me and already shipped. Waiting for my plant.

Thanks a lot to musaboro.

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NO-clue,
    Fudingzhu Osmanthus flowers looks similar to what I have. But I am not an expert. I don't have any flowers left to attach a photo as they all dropped due to travel.

We didn't rent a uhaul. Our Pilot is like a uhaul. My (smart) husband fitted all plants in the back with our dog in her crate.

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bunti,
    Congrats. Enjoy your plant.Enjoy the fragarnce

• newgen
    10 years ago

Are the prices at Greenmart reasonable? I'm looking for a few Michelias (alba, and champaca). Thanks,

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler