Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Logee's survey

I just filled out a survey for Logee's (and got a $5 off coupon for doing so).

I requested that they offer more jasmine species and rare varieties like Grand Duke Supreme.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Logee's started offering such items so we wouldn't have to deal with crappy sites? ;)

-Robert

Comments (15)

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Absolutely! :) What's the survey URL Robert? I wish they relist the tabernaemontana holstii again, I've been looking for that plant for a while. :0)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received the link through email and have alredy deleted it. Sorry! If you order from them you'll probably be receiving the survey link through email as well.
    It's too bad we don't live in the same city. I've a huge Tabernaemontana holstii that I ordered from this last year that I'd happily give ya. I don't find the scent that appealing but the flowers are pretty and interesting. :)

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Oh okay, thanks Robert, I thought it was an open survey link :)

(AAh that's really too bad... hopefully Logees or Gardino will offer the Tabern plant this year.)

What's your favorite fragrant plant? Have you grown tuberose?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow. That's a tough question, kemistry! I have grown tuberose (in a pot last year). I did love the scent but the cut flowers were a little disappointing (I cut the stems and changed the water daily however the blooms didn't seem to last). I planted them in the ground this year but will probably dig up two for a pot again. ;)
    Fav scents would be Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' and the Sambac jasmines but I'm always up for new scent experiences (hence the onslaught of new plants this year).
    I'm waiting for various jasmines, brunfelsias, Brassavola nodosa, etc. to bloom.
    I recently broke down and ordered Bouvardia longiflora since it's supposed to have an intense, heavenly scent.
    Okay, your turn! :)

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hey Robert.

From experience, and I can grow just about anything, Bouvardia can be a very difficult plant to grow due to leaf disease susceptibility. I have tried over 8 in the past couple of years and they wither away. You will notice that the leaves soften then rot off.

I have finally turned to Brunfelsia which is a more durable and lasting plant in which smells even better and almost just like that plant. It also has a fragrant at night which is very potent and just like the Bouvardia. I love this plant! I have 5 all doing great!

i hope you have great success with it!

Mike

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Tuberose is right up there with lotus, plumeria and j. sambac 'moo' as my most favorite scents. Ah Lotus! I wish I have the space and a more sunny climate to grow them again.

The other scents, which didn't wow me at first but have grown on me are michelia alba, figo and gardenia.

Robert, how's that Brassavola nodosa doing for you? Is it easy to care? I bought my first and only orchid earlier this year, a cymbidium ensifolium, which is supposed to have one of the most refined fragrances, but being so new to orchid-growing I don't know if I'll ever get to smell it. :o)

(Thanks Mike for that comment, that'll save me some money ;)..)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike,

Thanks for the bourvardia info. I'm going to try growing it in the fast draining 5:1:1 mix and cross my fingers.

I've got 3 brunfelsias (nitida, lactea & gigantea). So far I've only gotten one bloom from the nitida and it smelled like cloves (like everyone says). :)

Kemistry,

It's my first time for orchids as well. I've two brasavolas (nodosa and 'Little Stars'). I have them in wooden boxes outside and they're growing like weeds. Very easy to care for so far, winter care might be a different story. No blooms yet but I'm hoping for some this fall.

Now you've got me dreaming of pools in India over flowing with lotus blooms. ;)

-Robert

• sambacmouse
    12 years ago

Hi Robert,
    I love Bouvardia, yes it can be hard to get through winter, but it's night time fragrance is beautiful. Another thing to help is to use shallow wide pots like those used cattleya orchids, they like lots of water in warm weather, but keep them drier in winter.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, sambacmouse (love your name by the way!). I'll take any tips on Bouvardia that you can give. I think as long as the soil is fast draining things should go well (course when it gets 100+ outside I'll be sitting next to the plant with a watering can giving it sips every 5 minutes). Perhaps it's time I invested in a drip irrigation system. :)

-Robert

• sambacmouse
    12 years ago

Robert,

Your last post made me laugh.
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but you said you had a
    Tabernaemontana holstii, I was wondering what sort of care you give it during the cooler months? I have a Tabernaemontana pachysiphon on the way (I wish it would just get here already) which I think is quite similar in looks and requirements, so I would like to know what I am in for.
    BTW I so jealous of you guys having all these fabulous places to order your plants from, we have to really work hard to find some of these rarer plants in Australia.

• mattdiclemente
    12 years ago

I've filled out the survey too.
    I was glad to have the oppurtunity.
    What did I request?
    Why more fragrant plants of course!
    Let's make a united front, shall we?
    If you have been invited to participate in the Logee's survey, please do, and mention your enthusiasm for fragrant plants.
    Best Wishes,
    Matt Di Clemente

• kemistry
    12 years ago

But sambacmouse, you have all those Boronia plants growing wild there. :) They are so hard to find here in the US.. I wonder how that Boronia Megastigma smells like.

And Matt.. I did the same, ;)

• sambacmouse
    12 years ago

Uhhh I just saw that Tabernaemontana holstii and Tabernaemontana pachysiphon are the same plant. Those synonyms always trip me up, maybe I was thinking of Tabernaemontana africana?

kemistry,

Thanks for talking it up for me, I feel a little better, but you know I cannot get a Jasminum molle here and it is supposed to be a bloody Australian native.
    Yes boronia is wonderful, definitely one the best fragrant plants, when I catch its scent on the air, I think what the hell is that!!! Then I realize it's the boronia.

Original Author
    12 years ago

A big thank you to all who filled out the survey requesting their favorite fragrants!
    Let's hope they offer more goodies in the coming years.

Sambacmouse,

Tabernaemontana holstii seems to be a very easy plant to over winter. Mine was in a south facing sunny window and kept on the dryish side (normally watered once a week). This spring I repotted using the 5:1:1 mix and it seems to be growing great outside in some filtered sun. I've read that it's probably T. africana by the way.
    The scent reminds me of a sharp version of Trachelospermum jasminoides (what we commonly call confederate jasmine).
    I'm just not enthralled with it.
    And that is very ironic that you don't have a source for Jasminum molle since it is from northern Australia. I got mine from TT and it's finally developing tiny flower buds. Can't wait to smell it.
    I've read that it is very easy to propagate. You simply wrap the end of a cutting in a moist paper towel and grow it in a zip lock plastic bag in shade until it roots. I'll give it a go later in the season and report my findings.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hi everyone.

I actually know the owner and have a great relationship with a couple of the workers, and I hope that my talking about this subject and my ideas has had some positive impact on this subject.

I have been mentioning this for months to them. I love that place and if only you could visit it as often as I do:-)

Now, if I could get them to get me a 'Poison dart plant', or 'Winetr sweet'. They know which one I mean. I have been asking for over a year. Fragrant is an understatement when you smell theirs in full bloom!

Mike