Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Fragrant gardening books you love

I love reading books about fragrant plants.

I thought it would be easiest just to start a new thread about fragrant plant books you love so everyone can easily find the info.

I'll start off with some:

The Evening Garden: Flowers and Fragrance from Dusk till Dawn by Peter Loewer.

Taylor's Weekend Gardening Guide to Fragrant Gardens: How to Select and Make the Most of Scented Flowers and Leaves (Taylor's Weekend Gardening Guides (Houghton Mifflin)) by Peter Loewer.

The Essence of Paradise: Fragrant Plants for Indoor Gardens by Tovah Martin.

Well-Clad Windowsills: Houseplants for Four Exposures by Tovah Martin.

A Garden of Fragrance by Suzy Bales.

Fragrant Orchids: A Guide to Selecting, Growing, and Enjoying by Steven A. Frowine.

And I'm looking forward to reading my new book I just ordered when it comes in!

Trees and Shrubs for Fragrance (The Woody Plant) by Glyn Church.

Anybody else care to share their favorite books about fragrant gardening? :)

-Robert

Comments (11)

• fenius
    10 years ago

it's not strictly on fragrance but the one I love most this year and read almost every night before going to sleep (& already read 2-3 times!) is the garden book by vita sackville-west!

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

Scented Flora of the World by Roy Genders is one I got from Amazon based on an old thread I read on this forum. While a lot of the Latin names for plants are out of date (it was written in the 70s, I believe), there are very good explanations of scent and particularly the history of perfumery.

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

Scented Flora of the World by Roy Genders is one I got from Amazon based on an old thread I read on this forum. While a lot of the Latin names for plants are out of date (it was written in the 70s, I believe), there are very good explanations of scent and particularly the history of perfumery.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm...I've never read anything by Vita Sackville-West. I might just have to correct that! :)

Stephanie,

I love Scented Flora of the World as well. I've referenced quotes from it before so it may have been my post that led you to him. ;)
    You're right about the out-dated botanical names...still it's kind of fun figuring out which plant he's referring to.

Some other books I like (now that I'm at home though I can't find Roy Genders at the moment which is mildly upsetting)-

Fragrance in Bloom by Ann Lovejoy (my first book about gardening for fragrance...given to me as a gift and I've been hooked ever since!).

Taylor's 50 Best Roses.

I also have The Fragrant Garden A Book About Sweet Scented Flowers and Leaves by Louise Beebe Wilder however I've yet to get into it like I've gotten into Genders.
    Many people like Peter Loewer reference it so hopefully one day I'll get into it. :)

-Robert

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert, love this thread.

My first book was Scent In Your Garden by Stephen Lacey. Lovely book with color photos.

Then I got Roy Genders' book, which I liked a lot. However, it's hard to say, if some plants he mentions are worth it or not. You know the scented versus fragrant dilemma :-)

But I loved his A History of Scent. I'm not sure how valid the research is, but it's one of the most intoxicating fragrant books, I've ever read! The way he describe perfumes you really feel as if you're in an Egyptian temple or Jewish temple.

My favorite rose book is Graham Stuart Thomas Rose Book. He's so passionate about roses, especially OGRs, species, that you'd want to create a garden, dedicated to them. Be warned, you might get the rose bug ;-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Dang you! Now I want to read A History of Scent! Laugh.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

I'd go for it in late autumn or in the dead of winter :-) The book will take you on a journey with Frankincense, Myrrh and the fabled Spikenard and much more.

I'm reading In Search of Lost Roses . It's so well written, it feels like a thriller. Especially the quest for the Musk rose, which btw is hardy in your area. Lol. But it can become quite big.

I'm also reading The Essence of Paradise. I got it the moment you quoted her in the jasmine thread :-)
    I really love her style. It's so well written. My copy is already full of notes, highlights etc. I've also made a list of the books you've mentioned for future reference....

Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha. We're all enablers here even when it comes to books! :)

Hmm...I'll have to look into musk roses.

I ordered a used copy of Brugmansia and Datura: Angel's Trumpets and Thorn Apples today. Figured I might as well have a copy since I'm focusing on that genus this year. ;)

-Robert

• true_blue
    9 years ago

I think our friends find us, what we were looking for...

Musk rose is a species rose. It flowers late in the season.

Congrats . I really love 2nd hand books. I know nothing about brugmansias, there was one in our local green house, but as I passed during daytime, I never smelled anything....

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert, I came upon another book, whilst reading my lost roses book: The fragrant year : scented plants for your garden and your house. By Helen van Pelt, Leonie Bell.

Of your books, which one you like best?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link on Amazon

• mare2
    9 years ago

Shoot. Now I'll have to go buy more books, too. I don't see The Scented Garden by David Squire. It's a big coffee table book with tons of lists and pictures. Talk about enabling.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Scented Garden

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?