Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Repotting Jasmine and Gardenia?

No-Clue
10 years ago

Hi,

I recently bought 3 jasmine and 2 Vietnamese gardenia. Can someone please tell me if I need to repot all five plants now? All are either blooming or have buds so is now a good time or later after they are done blooming for the season. If I need to repot now...I need to know

1. What type of pots
2. What size of the pots
3. What soil
4. What fertilizer
5. How much sun

Thank you very much for your help!

Comments (13)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok I should have been more specific.

ROBERT!! How do YOU care for your Jasmine and Gardenia? Your plants are always so healthy and happy. Please help out this poor soul before she kills all her plants!

Should I repot them now or wait until after they are done blooming?

Sorry for screaming your name... are your ears still ringing? LOL

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Ha! I'm no gardenia expert. I've killed many. Check the FAQ section for tips. I wouldn't repot yours if they are currently blooming but if they're pot bound and you can't keep them watered then I'd use Al's 5:1:1 mix.
    That's what I use for most of my fragrant plants including my jasmines. I screen the pine bark fines and perlite before mixing in the peat moss.
    I also use the slow release Dynamite all purpose fertilizer which feeds up to 9 months in the mix. I also throw in some gypsum and a little Ironite for the jasmines.
    Then mabye every two weeks or so (I monitor the leaf color) I'll fertilize with a diluted mix of Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro.
    I only water when the soil is approaching the dry side and after watering I tilt the pot to the side to help drain away the perched water level.
    I grow my jasmines in full sun but you may need to give them afternoon shade in your area.

Hope my tips help! :)

-Robert

10 years ago

Oh, it's also fine to repot your jasmines right now. If I had your beauties I'd pull them out of their pots and shake off as much of the existing potting mix as possible before repotting into a pot 1 or 2 sizes larger using the 5:1:1 mix. If they look really rootbound I'd trim some of the roots with scissors. Then I'd grow them in filtered sun until they've recovered and then grow them in full sun.

-Robert

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok I need to research the 5:1:1. That's not the same as Al's Gritty mix right?

You are correct. I has letting my Jasmine and Gardenia in the filtered sun... behind the larger Osmanthus and even then some leaves are burnt! In fact so did the leaves on my Ylang Ylang vine! I am hoping eventually they will adapt or everything will be burnt! And our temps are not even that high yet. Sigh...

10 years ago

Sorry your babies are burning!

The 5:1:1 mix is 5 parts screened pine bark fines, 1 part screened perlite and 1 part peat moss. You can substitute the peat moss with Turface if you like.

I've included a link to his recipe.

Good luck!

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's 5:1:1 fast draining potting mix

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Pine bark will be tougher to find though. Wonder if I can use the stuff they put in the reptile tanks?

10 years ago

I thought you used the gritty mix for your plumies which is 1 part pine bark fines?
    Anyway I use Hapi-Gro 100% organic compost but I've heard people using Repti-Bark but that would be expensive.
    You might want to post on the container forum and ask for a pine bark source in your area.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips for pine bark fines

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used the Repti-Bark b/c I couldn't find the Pine bark fine.

Hapi-gro in place of something? Or you also add that in? I can get organic compost if that would help.

10 years ago

Nope. It's not compost. It's just labeled compost-

The pine bark fines I use aren't even labeled as pine bark fines. What I use is Hapi-Gro 100% organic compost which I then screen out the fine dust particles before using in my mix.
    So you might want to ask around at some local nurseries if they carry it.

I suggest posting on the container forum. Someone might know a local source for pine bark fines in your area.

-Robert

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Mine is called mulch. The brand is Greensmix, found at Lowes.
    http://www.greensmix.com/mulch.html

10 years ago

Have you been to the Orange County Farmers Supply?
    I found this link on the container forum-

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0510395624894.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for pine bark fines in OC

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I have not. Thank you for the link.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So we stopped by OC Farmers Suppy and got the

Perlite
    Peat Moss

but wouldn't fine Pine Bark Fines... so as a substitute I bought the Orchid Bark Fines which is (Douglas fir bark).

Hope that's ok. Tomorrow I will mix and repot some stuff. Thank you!