Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susieqz_gw

jasmine text?

susieqz
10 years ago

i purchased 5 different jasmine cultivars in janurary. as of now 3 are dead, 2 barely hanging on.

i'm ok with other houseplants, but not jasmines. i need more than a few tips. besides, much info on the net is contradictory.

can anyone recommend a good text?.

i'm willing to study to get it right.

thanks in advance,

susie

Comments (5)

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

We might be able to help if you tell us what you're doing with them (how frequent are you watering, how much sun they get, potting medium, etc.). I don't know of any specific text on jasmine, unfortunately.

• susieqz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

all were repotted upon arrival in mirical grow soiless potting mix, into plastic pots 1 or 2 sizes up.

they were watered every 2 -3 days, as this is desert air, very dry. misted about the same.

all seemed fine, in fact within 5 months j. officionale was totally pot bound in an 8'' pot so i transplanted into a 12'' pot. within a week, it was dead.

at the same time, 2 j. polyanthums died.

maid of orleans and grand duke supreme are alive, but showing no growth.

the maid brought in some sort of insect that i treated with safers oil soap, close to the times of death.

the potting mix contains fertilizer, so there was only 1 application of jack's 10-30-20.

SYMPTOMS: retaining their pretty green color, the leaves dried completely, so would crumble into dust if touched. the lack of color change threw me, as i'd never heard of such a thing.

that's everything i can think of.

--

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

It sounds like a humidity issue. My maid of Orleans does the same thing when I run the heater. I would suggest trying a humidity tray or even a humidifier if they are kept indoors.

Make sure they are about dry between waterings. I keep my jasmine indoors and water it about once a week.

You might want to look up "Al's container soils" either through google or gardenweb. I have my jasmine potted in his gritty mix and it is thriving.

Stephanie

• susieqz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the suggestions. i shall follow them as best i can, but pine bark fines seem impossible to find out in the middle of nowhere.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Suzie,

Where do you live? You mentioned your desert environment. Maybe there's a forum on GW for people growing in your region who might be able to give you tips?

I would not recommend Mircle Gro potting mix. Too much peat moss. Jasmines like a fast draining mix.
    If that's all you have access to then add perlite if you don't have access to pine bark fines.
    Perhaps a local nursery near by might carry Fafard professional potting mix. If so I would pick the fastest draining mix they offer.
    I also suggest you get a moisture meter so you can check to see if you need to water or not.
    I suspect you are over-watering your plants.
    Jasmines like to dry out some between waterings.

Good luck!

-Robert