Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Drooping Jasmine

Posted by Fun2BHere none (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 18:15

Just in the last two days, the star jasmine that is espaliered against my wall has gotten all droopy. I'm a complete gardening novice and I don't know what to do. The gardener said that the ground seems appropriately watered. This plant has been growing in this location for many years with no problem. I don't see any nibbled leaves that might indicate a pest. Any help/links/suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I've added a Photobucket link to some pictures of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasmine Pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Drooping Jasmine

Fun,
What is the fertilizing routine?
Is composted manure ever applied around the roots and it is mulched?
Depleted soil could account for lack of vigor.

o

I notice my star jasmine leaves droopy from time to time, but never ends up dead. After I water it , the next day, it will look normal again. mine is in the pot, I always thoughtthis maybe something to do the temperature.

o

Butterfly4u, Fertilizing routine? Umm...none...maybe that's the problem. No mulch. Can I use a time release nitrogen fertilizer that's for house plants?

Olympia_Gardener, I had the gardener trim the plant back as it was quite heavy with blooms. That seems to have perked up the leaves. Maybe it was just too much foliage or maybe it needs fertilizer as Butterfly4u suggested.

Thank you both for your help.

o

I had the same experience as Olympia Gardener, one I grew in a pot would always go limp during the afternoon but after watering it would perk back up a few hours later. But I never notice the ones in the ground doing this (even in poorly-watered landscaping).

o

Fun2be,
You had stated you had it for years, so I thought I would ask you waht you fed it.
I put composted manure in the soil every spring, then renew the mulch to help hold the moisture in when it starts to get hot.
You can add any plant food to the soil down by the roots, mix it in and water it. Then add a litle mulch around roots.
Then next spring do it again.
I have found Osmocote is really good.
Soil looses it's "good stuff" after years of having a plant "taking" from the soil. Replenishing the soil by adding compost is always good for the plant.
By the way, it's beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here