Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree gardenia

Posted by kandhi z7VA (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 05 at 18:27

I bought a 4ft gardenia tree with full of fat buds(3inch) in 3gal container for $16 at Kmart. I think I got a good deal, the pot had wrong name tag as mandeville that may be the reason. I do not know what type of gardenia it is now? It has glossy 3inch leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree gardenia

I TOO PURCHASED A TREE LIKE THAT FROM LOWE'S FOR 19.99 IT IS CALLED A GARDENIA AUGUSTA OR A MIAMI SUPREME GARDENIA.
IT STATES THAT IT WILL BLOOM ABUDANTLY PRODUCING LARGE DOUBLE FLOWERS WINTER THROUGH SPRING, AND OCCASSIONALLY THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THE TEAR. IT WITHSTANDS TEMPS. DOWN TO 20 DEGREES AND PREFERS RICH, ORGANIC SOILS ON THE ACIDIC SIDE. FERTILIZE EVERY 3-4 WEEKS FOR ACID-LOVING PLANTS. WILL BLOOM INDOORS IN HIGH LIGHT. OUTSIDE IT PREFERS A SUNNY LOCATION AWAY FROOM DIRECT AFTERNOON SUN. MINE SMELLS LOVELY ON MY DECK NXT TO MY DOOR AND THE BOOLMS ARE SPCTACULAR.....
MICHELLE IN SAN ANTONIO, TX.

o
RE: Tree gardenia

I saw a huge tree plant of gardenia family which was over 12 feet tall in Nuccio's nurseries at Altadena,Ca. Most people would not recognize the plant to be part of Gardenis family.The plant origin is from South Africa.

I also saw a gardenia tree in Taiwan. It produced thousands of small single flowers and the typical gardenia fragrance was overflowing from brick fence yard to the street.This small gardenia tree must be hundreds of year old. It measured about 7 to 8 inches in diameter, 10 to 12 feet tall. I am afrid that the tree might be already lost to yield ground for high rise construction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here