Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sinningia tubiflora

Posted by robert1971 6b (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 19:10

My Sinningia tubiflora (hardy gloxinia) is blooming! Seems a bit early but who am I to complain? ;)
I hope it continues to put up flower spikes throughout the growing season. This is my second year with it. It grows fast! I've read it likes lots of water and fertilizer while it's growing and apparently I wasn't watering it enough (the flower spikes drooped and some leaves curled about an hour before I took this pic). :(
Fortunately it seems to have perked back up.
It does have a citrus/lemon like scent. Some garden visitors have compared it to soap and deodorant. If I were to compare it to a body product I'd say citrus scented hand sanitizer.
It's a pretty cool plant. :)

-Robert

Sinningia tubiflora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sinningia tubiflora

Nice, well balanced plant.

o
RE: Sinningia tubiflora

Thanks, Olympia!

It was even more balanced before yesterday.
It's funny because I thought I wasn't watering it enough (it's true that the flower spikes perked up after watering) however a few stems had leaves that remained curled even after me watering it several times. Turns out 3 stems were broken off at the base. Probably from a young cardinal who likes to fly into my plants (I found a feather on a leaf).
So now I have some bare spots in the middle and on a side.
The price I pay for attracting wildlife I suppose! ;)

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here