Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night blooming Jasmine in Maine???

Posted by roycebro z5ME (roycebro@hotmail.com) on
Mon, May 16, 05 at 19:20

Hi everyone!!
I just came back from Florida and at the resort I stayed at, they had night blooming jasmine vines every where!! Do you think I could grow it up here? I would love to try it. Do you start it by seed or cuttings? Anyone willing to trade with me?

Thanks ahead of time!

Heather in Newport, Maine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night blooming Jasmine in Maine???

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 17, 05 at 9:28

Sure you can grow it in Maine, if you have a spot with full sun all day, but of course you'll have to bring it inside for the winter.

I don't grow this one -- it's too big for my indoor space and the scent can be overwhelming indoors -- but however you get one, put it in a pot (not too large for the size of the plant) give it a lot of sun and keep it moist while it's getting established.

Once the roots get settled, it'll grow quickly, and you may have to pot up during the season. It can also take a lot of water and fertilizer once it's established, so long as there's sunny weather and good air movement.

The trick is keeping it alive during winter, and it's not going to look very pretty. Prune it back hard before you bring it in, give it as much sun as you possibly can, but not too much water and fertilizer, and make sure you've got a fan on it or some way of keeping the air fresh, to avoid spider mites and yellow, dropping leaves.

good luck!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here