Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandhi_gw

what kind of jasmine sambac is this- pic

kandhi
13 years ago

one of my friend gave me a cutting that I rooted and this is the first bloom. The fragrance is very strong and am wondering why this is not available in nurseries. The flowers are mulitipletal and I am pretty sure it is not grandduke because the leaf structure is different from grandduke and the flower size is bigger and different fragrance than grandduke. Can anyone identify this variety?

jasmine sambac (?)

jasmine grandduke flower

Comments (16)

• kemistry
    13 years ago

it's very pretty, could it be the grand duke supreme?

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

looks good what ever it is. may be asking your friend for the source will help you and us?

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kemisty, I do not think it is not gd supreme, the plant is vigourous in its growth unlike grandduke and it has 2 leaves at each node instead 3 leafleds.

Radhavall, my friend does not know the name of it and she had this plant since past 8years. I may take few more cuttings from her plant to root more plants.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Kandhi, if you root me one I will pay you for it and even send a unique cutting from my variegated jade....

Please let me know, or where you got this beauty..

Thank you much

Mike

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

Kandhi,

Can you take another pic of the flower. I looked at my Grand duke, it has 2,3,and 4 leaves sometimes. And Grand duke flowers are also variable from looking like double petal Jasmine to looking like mini roses..If the smell is indeed different, then it could be another variety. And If so can you count me for a cutting? I do have many varieties of plants for exchange if you so prefer...

Radha.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike and Radha, Sure I will if I get to have few cutting. Since I am in VA we bring plants indoors and they are not in good shape to take a cutting. By june there may be new growth on the plant where I can ask her for some clippings again this year. Last year I took 3 cuttings and only 1 rooted well.

• nca270
    13 years ago

Hi Kandhi,

It may be mysore mulli. just check logees or "T"O"P" "t"r" o"picals website. The other thing is there are 3 varieties of Grand Duke of Tuscany. One has 3 whorls, then the other has 4 and the ones sold in stores here have 7 whorls(layers of Petals). Folks back in India have told me that and I remember seeing diff. varieties as a child! Kandhi where in Virginia do you live? I am planning to visit there soon and would love to get cuttings of diff. jasmine.
    you can also email me directly.

hope this helps

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nca270, yes, this kinda looks like mysore mulli but mysore molle has 2 whorls of petals this has more. I have sent an email to you.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

kandhi,

All I can say is that it is beautiful..Thank you for posting and sharing with us..

It must smell heavenly when in bloom!

Mike

• Helenck
    12 years ago

Kandhi--What kind of soil combination do you start your cuttings in. Do you use a root hormone and do you cover lightly with plastic to retain moisture.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helenck, I user cactus soil mix with perlite as medium to grow the cuttings. I also use the rooting hormone, but I was able to root the currtings without dipping in hormone too. Covering with a plastic to retain humidity is a must without that the cuttings won't root. Here is the pic of the bloom that was taken last week on the same jasmine plant that was started with a cutting.

• mrao77
    12 years ago

Kandhi,

Could you put me down for a cutting please? I can pay for it or swap plants if interested in exchange. I also replied to another post where you requested cuttings of Arabian jasmine, and I will be glad to share that in exchange. I cant seem to send email from GW directly, please email me directly at mrao77@hotamail.com
    Thanks
    mrao77

• kandhi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mrao, I sent you an email.

• Rupal Pai
    7 years ago

hello, can someone on this list please inform me as to how I can get a grand duke cutting? I live in Oregon and would love to have some cuttings of the plant with the flower on the very top of the thread. I am sure this is the jasmine grand duke of Tuscany. I would be happy to mail some cuttings of what I have. I had 3 exotic types of Jasmine in my home: Arabian Jasmine, Maid of Orleans Jasmine, and Grand Duke Supreme jasmine (this one is very small so I could give cuttings on this one at a later time). Or i can pay for your cuttings of the picture above on this thread. Please contact me at: rupalpai@gmail.com to communicate with me. I would really love a cutting and would like to know how to get one. Thanks much.

• Rupal Pai
    7 years ago

Kandhi, please email me at rupalpai@gmail.com I would love to get a clipping or cutting of the flower picture you posted. I would be happy to send or mail you some of my clippings of exotic jasmines I have.

• Falguni Patel
    7 years ago

Kandi, could you add me to the list for this jasmine cutting. My email is tini7777@hotmail.com. can exchange out jasmine cuttings or perennials or parijat seeds if you are interested or I will just pay for the clippings. Thank you