Radha.

Comments (45)

• mbuckmaster
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! =)

• kemistry
    13 years ago

wow...!!!
    How old is your M. Alba? So many buds.. !!!

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you,
    mbuckmaster, i think you are right. Gardenia Radicans/ Prostrata.In my search, I did come up with Prostrata, and Radicans and Prostrata appear to be the same. Logees has it will give it a try.

Kemistry, how are you? we had a terrible cold spell in south florida and the blooms came in late with all the fragrants.
    The M. Alba is 8-9 years old. Blooms 3 times a year atleast, hundreds of blooms, and each bloom cycle lasts at least 2 months if not more..

How did the M.Champaka seeds do for you? Mine did'nt do well, i think because I sowed them in the wrong time.
    I did manage to get a rare variety of Artemisia , called Artemisia pallens wall seeds( also called davana). i surely don't know the germination ratios to seeds, but will be more than happy to send you some.

regards,
    Radha.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

I'm doing great, thanks! I hope all is well with you too. I'd love to have some of your davana seeds! I have fresh kaffir lime seeds to send back if you are interested, please let me know! :)

Two months ago I bought a grafted M. Alba off ebay, and she has been putting out new growths just recently. I cannot wait for the blooms. It is also exciting to learn that she'll bloom more than once a year.

I overwatered my M. chamapaka so all the seeds rotted. There were 5 of us that tried those M champaka seeds and I think only one person was successful at it. (This lady in OH was able to get 3 seeds to sprout the last time I chatted with her).

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kemistry,

email me your address, to radhavall@yahoo.com

Will send you some next week. They are annuals or tender perrenials. The stems come to Indian flower markets in the state of Andhra Pradesh, in relatively cooler months of the year, and i believe it is 3-4 month plants at maturity.
    So I plan to start in sept-oct for germination, here in South Florida. You can plan according to your weather and temps..

• kemistry
    13 years ago

email sent!

Yup, I just did a quick research on davana. They said it has a wonderful scent. This will be exciting, thanks so much! :)

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In the mail today...

regards,
    Radha.

• kandhi
    13 years ago

Hi Radha, What is the jasmine variety in pic # 4? Can you give me info on where that can be found?

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is a variety of Belle of India. It is a creeper, but due to space issues, it is a small bush for me. i don't remember if it was TT or Logees..
    It is called Pandiri Malle in my native language, Telugu.
    It has the sweetest smell of all Jasmines in my opinion, much better than Grandduke for me atleast..
    I will be more than happy to start rooting one for you, if you prefer.

regards,
    Radha.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Thanks Radha! :)
    Do you grow tuberose? Mine is blooming at the moment and goodness the fragrance is incredible. It smells like jasmine mixed with coconut.

Kandhi, that's her belle of india.

I'm debating between the belle and the granduke, i only have room for one, any suggestion? :)

• kandhi
    13 years ago

Kemistry, I guess you are right, the 4th pic is 'belle of india' flower. I love their fragrance too. of the 2, my preference is 'belle of india' because 'grand duke' is too slow in growth in my area and does not give as many blooms as belle of india does. both plants fragrances is unique and who loves what fragrance it up to the individual taste of smell.. I love both.

• nca270
    13 years ago

Hi Radha,

Your flowers are just mind blowing. Especially the Michealia Champaka tree. I am sure you don't miss India as much when you are surrounded by all these tropical plants!

I have been forever trying to root Belle of India and Grand Duke but not been successful at all! I live in NC and all my tropicals are in pots. What kind of soil do you use for the jasmines and what kind of fertilizer to get your flower to bloom? I know a few people who have grand duke but they complain that the flowers don't bloom fully. It starts to dry before they bloom fully.

Awesome pictures and truly made my day.
    Sujatha

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks,
    Sujatha. Mine are all in the ground. Any fertilizer I have handy, I use. The grand duke has larger flowers and therefore, they do tend to dry on one side while still opening on the other side. It does compensate wih many blooms and many are just perfect. I think increased flower count is the way to have perfect blooms. Mine are 4 feet or more in height, but even a foot long plant can have many blooms. The tree is Michelia, Alba. A white variation on the Champaka and has slightly subtle smell than the other.

Kemistry,
    I had loads of tuberoses. Any time i would go to Home depot and saw them, I would buy a couple of bulbs. They bloomed sporadically for me. I had many small bubs that would just pop up. For last 2 years, I had what they call Lubbers, and they feasted on my rain lillies and Tuberoses, I think. Last year, I had no Tuberose and I went and I looked at the place. Could not find one bulb. I still have rain lillies, but no tuberoses. This year, surprizingly, HD had no tuberoses. I recently orderd them again on line and planted them. They are just coming up. I am going to follow closely and see. I dont know if it is Nematodes or the Lubbers or they just rotted. But I find it hard to belive that they just rotted,as they were multiplying and had mini bulbs coming up for years..

As far as selection of Jasmines, although, My favourite for smell is the Belle, Grand duke is just that. Grand. The flowers open for me in the am, so i can place a few in my car, (Belle opens at night).
    For me Grand Duke is the first to bloom and has such a long season. April to sept. High number of flowers in april to jul/aug. Belle has may be a month, blooms. I woud recomend GD s your first plant, although can't you really get both? I ran out of space long time ago, so my creepers are waiting for me to think of a spot...

Soon I will post the rest of the whites...

• kandhi
    13 years ago

Hi Radha, Thanks for your offer, I do have belle of india that I bought from logees and TT long time ago and they do look like the flowers in pic# 4. You have very good collection of jasmines,do you have jasmine molle, I love its fragrance, so different than other sambac varieties with little of gardenia hint. I am trying to to root, but it is hard to root. This is the pic from last summer. Now it is just putting on leaves, hopefully by mid june it should start budding.

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kandhi,
    That is a beautiful J. molle. Where did you get it from? I can almost smell the fragrance from here. Your pic/ plant is that much breath taking. I do have small one that I keep moving around, not deciding where to place it permanently. But would definitely like to know your source for this particular specimen.

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are a few more fragrants in the garden blooming today...

Rangoon creeper, single petals, soft pleasing floral fragrance.. Flowers are white initially, as seen in the pics with buds..

buds, single petal Rangoon creeper, embedded in the green leaves.

Jasmine Azoricum

Lawsonia Inermis...Henna. Fragrance just wafts..

Rangoon creeper, double petals..

Jasmine, cutting from HYD, India. Called Sanna jajji, a variety of J. Azoricum, flowers are longer, but same sweet fragrance..

same as above, a little over exposed with the light..

Last but not the least..
    Magnolia coco.. takes a month for the bloom to mature.. one has to catch it at the right time for the smell.. other wise, for a flower that grows a month, it barely lasts a day. the creamy white coconut shape is a delight to watch..

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Oh Radha, can I camp out under your trees for one night? LOL. I love the M Coco. How would you describe its scent?

Knowing myself I will probably end up with both the Grand-duke and Belle. But i'll start with the Belle first. : )

I actually buying more tuberose bulbs right now since I love it so much. But this time I'm trying the pearl cultivar.

Kandhi - I really love your molle. Is it as fragrant as sambac?

• kandhi
    13 years ago

Radha, The molle I bought it from logees in 2003 in 2/12inch pot. You have a great collection of fragrant plants. They all look healthy and lovely.

Kemistry, molle's fragrance is not like sambac, it is very different strong fragrance with a hint of gardenia fragrance.

• sambac
    13 years ago

Hey Radha, your Gardenia and Champaca are to die for!!! Your Azoricum is doing so well. For some reason mine is sulking- ? pests

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks,

Kemistry,
    M. coco has an intense almost sickeningly sweet smell. but one has to catch it at the right time. otherwise it appears the flower has no smell at all..short one day flower though, that is quite disappointing, considering it takes so long to mature. Can you post your tuberoses or any other fragrants you have?
    Same with M. figo..
    the fragrance comes when it is hot , if the weather is cool, i don't sense any smell.
    J. molle is also a flower with intense fragrance..but very different from the other Jasmines.

i am not sure if the pearl has the same intense fragrance as the regular. I have always had pearl, the smell is milder i think than the single petal variety.

Can you post your tuberoses or any other fragrants you have?

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Rhadha..

Amazingly beautiful!!!!!!! I only wish I could grow these..Thank you!

Do you know where I can get a cutting of the very top picture, the jasmine..I LOVE IT!!

I would pay anyone for it or even order one if you knew where I could get one..

Please let me know...:-)

Mike

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here you go mike..
    http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1389-2

good place to buy from..
    http://www.gardinonursery.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=448

also if you search TT and look under Jasmines, Grand duke

hope this helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rareflora.com

• kemistry
    13 years ago

tuberose blooming right now
    {{gwi:796381}}

'maid of orlean' bought from Logee, this picture was taken last fall
    {{gwi:104668}}
    it's sort of sad-looking at the moment.

dwarf plumeria 'singapore pink' at its fullbloom 2 months ago
    {{gwi:796382}}

dwarf orange jasmine in Jan
    {{gwi:796383}}

a blooming seedling, taken a month ago
    {{gwi:796384}}

M figo var skinneriana, taken in Jan
    {{gwi:796385}}
    {{gwi:796386}}

here's my alba, no bloom yet but still make me very happy : )
    {{gwi:796387}}

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

beautiful pictures..

Your tuberose bloom is perfect.
    The dwarf orange Jasmine seedling bloom is adorable. Does it have the same smell as the regular?
    Are there any particular varieties of Plumerias that are fragrant?
    Thanks for posting.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

I don't have the regular variety, but those that do had said that the dwarf's fragrance is even stronger than the regular Orange Jasmine (Murraya Paniculata).
    It has a very sweet orange blossom scent.

My dwarf plumeria doesn't have that classic plumeria scent that I remembered from childhood. I read on GW that Celadine, Aztec gold, Vera Cruz Rose.. are very fragrant. And I'm looking forward to trying out the Vera Cruze Rose in the near future. :)

What other Michelia do you have Radha? And I'm sure you also own an Ylang tree ;)

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have M. Champaka. It is a small one. The one before was relocated, and planted too deep i think and did not make it. The one now is healthy.
    I did get couple of Magnolias recently. They are small plants.They did survive the winters, though. M.Yunnanensis, M.Insignis and M. Maccalurie.
    I do have the ylang ylang. I have the tree, although I was somewhat disappointed with the fragrance. The dwarf varieties, Desmos chinensis and Cananga odorata fruticosa are disappointing. They do bloom though.

Ylang ylang vine is whole different story. It is very fragrant and is blooming for me now. I did'nt post them as the subject was white fragrants..took me seven years from a small seedling I got, but is worth the wait. I think bigger plants are now available.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Thank you Rad!!

I will look that info up...I also wanted to say that your flowers are georgous!1!!!!!

I would love to live where you live..I am so jealous..;-(

Thank you for showing these beauties..

Finally, some excitement of this forum...

Mike

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Which vine Ylang is that? A. hexapetalus?
    I really want the big Ylang but lacking space so I have to settle for the Fruticosa. Too bad that it has a disappointing scent. But I guess I'll have to wait and see. Mine is still a small little plant.

You've such a grand collection, Radha. Your neighbors are so lucky! I'd love to live near you. :).

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is A. hexapetalus. i got a couple from 2 different sources 8-9 years ago. they are both big and have been blooming for the past 3 years atleast. Very nice fruity fragrance.

I am hoping others will post their fragrant plants and blooms too.
    regards..

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Radha, the seeds arrived today! I'll sow them when I'm home later tonight, cannot wait! Thanks again! : )

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thats good. Hope something will pop up. I will try them little later as it is still too hot.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

I read that the seeds would sprout in 3 days. I sowed a bunch. I'll keep you posted! :)

• PRO
    N'Style Design & Decor'
    9 years ago

Hi Radha,
    I was googling for Artemisia pallens (Davana) seeds and stumbled on to your blog. What a garden you have! It must feel like home (HYD, India) at least, as it was when I lived there. I am so green with envy. But then, you live in south Florida, where you can grow these tropical plants. I could only see some of your images. Others are not loading. Do you also have fruit (Indian) trees? I live in Zone 8/9, and in a constant struggle to grow and protect the plants from frost. Anyway, I want to know where I can get some Artemisia pallens seeds. I can't wait to plant and to smell that fragrance. I will keep it indoors if I have to. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, that was years ago.. they are annuals and need to be sown fresh in late winter to have the plant finish its cycle by May.. I do not have them now..

• kathyvakamudi
    7 years ago

I am Kathy from A.P ,anyone has davanam plant / Artemisia pallens or seeds to trade or sell? or know where I can get it from. I have tuberose bulbs, marjoram seeds, to trade.

• Mubarak Shaik
    6 years ago

Excellent collection Radha, nostalgic to see all my favorite flowers, sanna jaji, pandiri malli, Rama baanam, Michalea etc. What is your Zone ? I see everything growing outdoors.. BTW I am from A.P, India residing in Texas Zone 8

• Anu Peetla
    5 years ago
    Where can I get Artemisia pallens seeds , let me know. Thanks
  • kathyvakamudi
    5 years ago

I finally found seeds , and was successful in growing davanam. this year, my plants are a foot tall and blooming, I am saving the blooms for fresh batch of seeds. Seeds germinate within 3 days and are very easy to grow, but when transplanted most of them did not survive.

• kathyvakamudi
    5 years ago

BTW anu seeds are from india , last year someone sent me seeds they did not germinate.

• kathyvakamudi
    5 years ago

Garden glory · More Info

• socalnolympia
    5 years ago

I wish someone could hybridize champaca with another magnolia to get a fragrant magnolia with the unique incense-like smell of champaca to survive further north.

• Manisha A
    5 years ago

Anyone have davanam and maruvam seeds to sell/trade

• Lakshmi Gundepudi
    5 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am also looking for Davanam seeds or cuttings. Pl let me know if anyone in North California can share.

We bought Maruvam (Marjoram) from Armstrong Nursery yesterday.

• priya30_v
    3 years ago

Hello, I was looking for davanam seeds. Would you know where I could find them? Do you have any smaller plant that you could share? Thank you in advance.