Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariel73

Favorite daytime fragrances

ariel73
18 years ago

I love fragrant plants and I would like to think I have good variety of fragrant plants. My only thing is most of the plants seem to be most fragrant starting in the late afternoon and evening. I would love to have more wafting fragrant plants during the day. Currently my best daytime fragrants are-

Gardenia

Michelia Alba

Aloysia virgata

Citrus- wish it had a longer blooming period

What are some other must haves for daytime fragrance?

Comments (22)

• jview
    18 years ago

Some of my favorites are lilacs and lily of 6the valley for the spring season. Murraya paniculata is great with a citrus blossum smell just about any time of year. Thank you for asking the question; I look foreward to seeing what other people have to recomend. Jerry

• ankraras
    18 years ago

Cestrum Diurnum known as Day Blooming Jasmine.

{{gwi:12341}}
    Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Osmanthus fragrans
    jasminum sambac
    diosma pulcherimma (fragrant leaves)
    plumerias

I second on the murreya

How about some orchids, some of which could live all year round outdoors?

dendrobium anosmum, speciosum
    encyclia tampensis
    epidendrum conopseum (magnoliae)
    sedirea japonica

One of the best ways to find good plants is a trip to a local nursery or botanical gardens -- nothing like a personal sniff test!

Jim

• mare2
    18 years ago

Not all of these would work in your zone, but since you asked:
    Lilac
    A good-sized patch of dianthus 'Rainbow Loveliness'
    certain roses
    some lilies
    passiflora 'Incense'
    jasmine sambac 'Maid of Orleans'
    Bouncing Bett
    Buddleia alternifolia
    some magnolias
    stuff I'll think of later

I think you definitely need more jasmines! :) 'Mare

• ariel73
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I knew I would forget some plants. I do have a murraya paniculata, Osmanthus fragrans, butterfly ginger and a jasmine. I also have a brunsfelsia and a stemmendia(sp?) but I haven't got to smell them yet.

I am also thinking about getting mandavilla laxa, Desmos chinesis, and a few other fragrants I just can't remember which ones off hand. I have quit a long wish list. But don't we all?!
    Ariel

• luis_pr
    18 years ago

Rosa Souvenir de la Malmaison, Rosa Double Delight, Rosa Frederic Mistral, Apothecary's Rose (once blooming), osmanthus fragrans thunbergii

• granite
    18 years ago

clove pinks (dianthus)
    Korean Spice Viburnum
    curry plant
    lavender - particularly Grosso and Provence

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardens

• diggerb2
    18 years ago

hosta plantaginas

• whitejade
    18 years ago

Solomon's seal! Gosh, mine throw out a ton of incredible scent both day and night....I actually cannot think of another plant (besides maybe korean spice viburnum) that is strong no matter what time of day like this plant is. I also just planted a mini rose called Sweet Chariot this weekend. I cannot believe how strong and beautifully scented these little roses are! I have some fragragnt roses , but this rose wafts 5 feet away, and all of that is coming from only two very small blooms!

Speaking of which, does anyone have a mature Sweet Chariot? And when it is in massive bloom can you smell it two blocks away :) ?

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

Psoralea pinnata ( purple kool-aid plant ), Agastache varieties of course, Buddleja "Lochnich", "Red Plume", "Pink Perfection", Asclepias incarnata "Ice Ballet", Hierochloe odorata "Vanilla Grass", Dianthus "Firewitch", "Crimson Treasure", and Corydalis varieties....

• yarthkin
    18 years ago

JimShy,

Wouldn't is be interesting to see a cross between Encyclia tampensis and Epidendrum conopseum (magnoliae)? Maybe you could end up with a fragrant North Carolina hardy hybrid orchid?

Lonnie

• tmli
    18 years ago

White gingers
    winter sweet

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Yarthkin,

Both species have been used in hybrids with other epidendrum and cattleya alliance orchids, but I've never heard of a cross between the two -- it'd probably have very small flowers, like the conopseum, and be less hardy than the pure species.

My conopseum sure seems almost bulletproof, I'd love to see more crosses made with it!

Jim

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

All of my viburnums (5 burkwoodii's, Korean spice, Juddii, carlessi,)
    All of my clethras (a 15' long alnifola patch, Hummingbirds, and a half dozen Ruby Spice)
    Native Azaleas (arboresens, antlanticum, austrinum, bakerii's, canescens, prunipholium, schlippenbachi, vasyea, viscosums,) and the 30-50 fragrant hybrids in between (from Lady Barbara to Lemon Drop)
    Lilly of the Valley
    Vaccinium 'High Sierra'
    Magnolia 'Goldstar'
    Saracocca
    Daphne 'oblongonta'
    Peonies
    And I'm sure that I've overlooked a few as I take mental inventory this late December evening.

Scent is as important as seeing in the garden.

• irish_rose_grower
    18 years ago

I'm new to fragrant plants and enjoyed reading this post. I'm getting my orders ready for Select seeds and Fragrant Garden. I'm also looking for The Fragrant Path's address so I can order their catalog, which I hear is well worth the 2.00

Maureen
    p.s. I'm really into roses and I have heard that Sweet Chariot is the most fragrant of the mini roses.

• berrygirl64
    18 years ago

Can't beat oriental lilies- especially Stargazer- for daytime fragrance, and scented roses of course.

• monarda_gw
    18 years ago

I want to put in a word for narcissus poeticus and chinese sacred lilies, lily of the valley, phlox divaricata dirigo ice, phlox pilosa (pink), azaleas atlanticum (& choptank), lilac President Grevy, corylopsis (the one with the silvery leaves --glabrescens?), mimosa, loropetalum, eleagnus angustifolia, philadelphus beauclerk, and cystus battandieri. Viola columbine has great fragrance, too. Dianthus superbus white lace, buddeleia cornwall blue -- are a few more! The scots rose Kakwa is also heavenly.

• sharkyk
    16 years ago

Some plants I haven't seen posted here yet:

Rhododendron Edgeworthii
    Rhododendron Fragrantissimum
    Daphne Odora
    Witch Hazel
    Magnolia wilsonii
    Sarcococca
    Clerodendron trichotomum
    Clematis armandii
    Clematis viticella 'Betty Corning'
    Mitriostigma axillare
    Citrus
    Lilium 'Gold Eagle'

• longriver
    16 years ago

Old faithful Honeysuckle has long lasting fragrance under bright sun. I let mine growing freely to climb and to spread on trees in natural setting. It also reminds me when I was four-year old.

• chills71
    16 years ago

Sweet Autumn Clematis for the fall, and Ribes Odoratum (clove currant) for the spring.

The clove currant has got to be my favorite smell, though.

~Chills

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Lots of great scents listed here, gardenia, Stargazer, jasmine, honeysuckle. How about wisteria? gorgeous flowers and a wonderful scent. I planted hawthorne last fall and I understand it is fragrant but it isn't blooming yet. I love this list- there are some plants I've never heard of. I'll have to do some research :) and dream for fall. Brandy

• thistle
    16 years ago

The most fragrant plant I have in my garden is a Korean Spice Viburnum.I have it in my back yard but I can smell it as soon as I pull up in my driveway,it is a glorious fragrance.