Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most fragrant Brugmansia

Posted by nimapur z9CA (My Page) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 20:43

Here is what I found online when I searched for Brugmansia: Fragrance varies considerably, too, with intensity ranging from none (B. sanguinea) to overpowering. The intoxicating scents are variously described as musk, lemon, mint, lily, hyacinth, citrus, jasmine, gardenia, and more.

I would like to know which variety has what type of fragrance and how intense. Your replies (experiences) will help me with my purchasing decisions.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most fragrant Brugmansia

I've grown Brugmanias for 15 years.
People will come up and smell the flowers of the brugs
and say "Oh doesn't that smell wonderful!?!?
Well, a fresh mowed lawn smell wonderful, too,
but I don't consider it "fragrant".
So after all that ---

B. Charles Grimaldi. IS fragrant - up to 10'+ away!
The fragrance starts in about 9pm and
doesn't quite till the sun comes up.

........cheryl

o

I am new to brugs. Started Cypress Gardens in ground here last year. It is about 5 ft. So far, can smell in evening if I stick my nose in the flower, very pretty but not strong and no wafting. Would love to hear from brug growers about most fragrant as well.
Karen

o

Karen,

I obtained an orange colored brug from my barber last year and got it going. It produced a lot of blooms and was very fragrant. We could walk out on our side porch at night which was approx. 20 feet from the sujbect brug. and smell a wonderful fragrance from this particular plant. The white, and pink brug.'s I planted aren't nearly as fragrant. I've taken cuttings from this orange brug, and am trying ot propagate more plants, but they aren't doing will in full sun, so I'm having to readjust my locations to partial shade.

perryrip

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here