Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Jasmine Sambac 'Maid of Orlean'?

greendale
10 years ago

I got this Jasmine from Walmart today. The tag just says Jasmine and hard to 20F. It looks like the Jasmine Sambac MOO I got from Logee's last week. Is there any Jasmine plants hardy to 20F? It is from Costa Farm and I checked their website, the only Jasmine I can find on their website is Jasminum Officinale [White Jasmine]. and their website says never lower than 50F. What do you think? TIA

Greendale

Comments (40)

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

closer shot of the flower and leaves.

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the tag

• northbay12
    10 years ago

Mine has gotten down to 26 F with only tip damage. I think a few degrees lower and it would be toast. I also think you snagged a beautiful plant!

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did some research on the internet. Jasminum Officinale indeed hardy to zone 7 so 20F is possible. Though it is very similar to the Sambac I had (leaves and flowers). Yes, It is very beautiful and very fragrant too. Not sure should I plant it in ground or stay in a container just in case I can move it indoors in our brutal winter.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Great Walmart score on a lovely Jasminum sambac 'Maid of Orleans', greendale!

I have Jasminum officinale blooming right now (I'm in Tulsa, OK - zone 7).
    The plant you got from Walmart is definitely not J. officinale, it is Maid or Orleans.

I would keep your Maid of Orleans from Walmart in a pot on a table to more easily enjoy the scent from its blooms. :)

-Robert

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robert, thank you.

I was all set to think what I got is Jasminum Officinal until now. :(
    Do you have a picture of your Officinale that I can look at? Thanks

10 years ago

Sorry to burst your bubble but I didn't want you to lose a MOO. ;)

I'll try and snap a pic of my J. officinal for ya tomorrow. It's a vine and is going up our arbor. :)

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

I think you did lucked out. Jasmine sambacs have a nice scent along the spectrum of a honeysuckle scent.

Jasminum officinale on the other hand smells kinda musky (indolic), more in line with paperwhite narcissus.

10 years ago

Close up of J. officinale leaves on the vines.

10 years ago

Jasminum officinale flowers!

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robert, thanks for going through the trouble to show your offocinale. It indeed is different. And I am convinced mine is MOO. Either way, I am very happy with the purchase, such a large specimen .
    Guess I will put them into one pot - so that appears I am not that insane ( for getting 2 off the same plant ). when would be a good time to repot them from their original soil? I am using Al's gritty mix. Wait until they done with blooming?

10 years ago

Your jasmines will continue to produce buds and bloom all summer into early fall so now is a good time to do it.
    I personally would plant it in Al's 5:1:1 mixture but the roots will love the gritty mix however you'll have to water probably twice a day if not more depending on the pot size and how large your plants get. I had a brunfelsia in Al's gritty mix and the roots went insane (very healthy) however I couldn't keep up with the watering and it would wilt too often so I switched back to the 5:1:1 mix.

And if you love the scent of your jasmine then who cares if you have more than one specimen? Laugh.
    Just gives you more good things to sniff. ;)

Hope this helps!

-Robert

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robert, that's a good point. I definitely can not keep up with watering twice every day. Thanks for the heads up.
    I will be shopping fragrant plants at logee's again, what plants do you recommend me to get?
    I already have aglaia odorata, citrus fortunella, Murray's paniculata, jasmine sambac "grand duke...", Amazon lily, African gardenia and osmanthus "fudingzhu" from them, all of the plants were doing nothing for the past half year , not dying not growing either, except the osmanthus, which flowering on and off for such a small plant. they now all outside for the summer, hope we will see some changes.
    Again, thanks for any recommendations.

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Re northbay12 and mosaboru
    Did not mean to ignore your posts, I thought I replied but it did not appear. I might forgot to submit the msg when using my phone- such a small screen plus the self-righteousness auto-correction. I never saw jasmine in BBS around our area. Not mention it is a large specimen. Wish we had more rare plants
    In retail.

And Robert: wish I could walk under your arbor to smell the scent. Officinale is hardy to 7am? gives me the hope to get one now.

This post was edited by greendale on Wed, May 29, 13 at 15:40

10 years ago

You could try substituting the peat moss in the 5:1:1 mix with turface to have a more stable, longer lasting mix. :)

Looks like you're well on your way to an awesome fragrants collection!

Some I would suggest are Brunfelsia gigantea (it grows fast and will bloom for you the first year you get it), Jasminum azoricum (not hardy and you'll need a trellis for it to grow on but it does smell awesome), Cestrum nocturnum (very strong scent at night which you'll either love or hate), my fav sambac Jasminum sambac 'Belle of India' but you already have two varieties, Michelia alba, Passiflora caerulea x alata aka P. x belotii (not hardy and another vine you'd need a trellis for but definitely one of my favorite passion flowers for ease of bloom and a unique tea like scent?), Hoya obscura or H. lacunosa or the hybrid between the two called 'Sunrise', Brassavola nodosa or B. 'Little Stars' (not hardy, it's an orchid), Neofinetia falcata (not hardy, another orchid that's supposed to smell like jasmine, vanilla and coconuts).

I could go on and on! I haven't even mentioned any plumerias. Laugh.

-Robert

• northbay12
    10 years ago

Yeah, I actually got mine in a gallon at Home Cheapo, go figure...

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>>Looks like you're well on your way to an awesome fragrants collection!

You know you are part of the reasons(Joking) - after viewing the pictures and read about the fragrant on this forum - how can I control myself not getting some of the plants?

Thanks for the list - you did it again :) After some research, I think I will try Brunfelsia gigantea, I will skip Jasminum this time as I have two right now and need to see if we love each other. I got Hoya Kerri from logee last year but it has not been done anything for me. I also have the regular Hoya Canosa from BBS and none of them have any hints of flower.
    I will skip Orchid this time too, I do not know if I can grow Orchid - my house is kept pretty dry.
    And Michelia Alba - I saw logee has this plant too (price is a little on the high end) - how long do I need to wait to get it flower? (More of an instant appreciation person myself :). I remember in a post you just bought this plant, how large is your plant and how is it doing?

Northbay12, I went to another walmart to see if they have any, to my surprise- they do not - guess around here every BBS get their plants differently?

Thanks
    -Greeendale

• Alice.Leah
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I'm a newbie here. I'm starting to begin my garden of fragrant plants, courtesy Robert et al (laugh). I presently don't have a house of my own, but the house I am renting has a huge backyard welcoming the sun. I'd like you all to give me the names of must have fragrant plants, that I can grow in containers, and in zone 7.i already have Jasminum sambacs like MOO, Mysore mulli, belle, flore plena. I lost my molle this year(she was 2 years old due to over-watering). None of them are budding yet:-(
    So looking forward for the list...
    Robert, could you give more insight on gritty mix? How to prepare it? I saw your success on using this mix, perhaps it could bring me luck. I don't find Pine bark fines in my area, but I have seen the pine bark mulch at HD here will that do?

Thanks, & Happy gardening,
    Leah

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Leah for easy plants look for brunfelsa gigantea. It has a nice fragrance. Then add some tuberose. You need to sniff brunfelsia jamaicensis and aglaia odorata also. They are all very easy to grow and smell great.

• kemistry
    10 years ago

And greendale you too need a brunfelsia jamaicensis. Hehe=)
    Logee has it.

10 years ago

Greendale,

Glad you're going to try a Brunfelsia gigantea. Just remember it is an evergreen so you'll need to keep it by a sunny window in the winter or under lights in the basement like I do.
    This is my second year for it and even after cutting it back last fall it's 3 ft tall and 5 ft wide!

I don't know how long it takes Michelia alba to bloom (it's my first time for it).
    Mine is sprouting some leaf buds but hasn't grown any so it's the same size from when I got it.
    Supposedly the grafted ones like Logee's offers bloom sooner than one that was air-layered like I got. Poo!

Leah,

Welcome to the forum!
    There are several great fragrant suggestions in this thread so I would do some research as to which ones you might like to try. I love Aglaia odorata (Chinese Perfume Plant) and Brunfelsia gigantea but both of these are evergreens so they can summer outdoors but in the winter you'll need to keep them inside by a sunny window or under lights in a basement like I do. :)

The potting mix I use for most of my fragrants (except for my plumerias and succulents) is Al's 5:1:1 mix which is 5 parts pine bark fines, 1 part perlite and 1 part peat moss.
    I screen the pine bark and perlite before mixing them.
    I do not suggest pine bark mulch unless it is very small.
    The pine bark fines I use aren't even labeled as pine bark fines. What I use is Hapi-Gro 100% organic compost which I then screen out the fine dust particles before using in my mix.
    So you might want to ask around at some local nurseries if they carry it.
    If not then maybe you can find a professional potting mix like Fafard.
    If you can't find that I would suggest the plain old Miracle-Gro potting mix (not the moisture control) and add perlite to the mix to help with the drainage.
    I also suggest watering your jasmines and then tilting the pots to the side to help drain off the perched water level.
    I also highly recommend getting a moisture meter (you can buy them off Amazon or sometimes find them for cheap at places like Tuesday Morning) and only water your jasmines when the meter says the soil is on the dry side.
    Jasmines like a fast draining mix and don't like to have their roots soggy and like to dry out some between waterings. Most people over water them which is the cause of most of their deaths.

Good luck! :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: My source for pine bark fines

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the brunfelsia gigs tea I got. I chose one with bud and The bud opened two days after I brought it home. The scent is a little stale (not fresh) but I am not dislike it. And it is a handsome plant, don't u think?

10 years ago

Congratulations! I can detect a light perfume coming from the blooms during the day and then at night a much stronger perfume like scent mixed in with some clove scents. Kemistry can no doubt describe the scent better than I can!
    My plant took a little while before it really started producing very fragrant blooms that I fell in love with. :)

I just wish mine would hurry up and start producing flower buds and start blooming!

-Robert

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also got the M alba, it is a grafted one, there is still clothes wrapped around the grafted place on the trunk. It is still in its original soil and pot. Should I repot it ? With 511 or gritty mix? Thanks for any tips.

10 years ago

Yay! Your Michelia alba looks great!
    I hope it blooms for you soon. Please give us a scent report if it does.
    I used the 5:1:1 mix for mine. :)

-Robert

• Alice.Leah
    10 years ago

Thanks Robert & Kemistry for the replies.
    I have one more querry if you could help me out. My MOO was growing in a 10" pot for a year until I re-potted it in a 12" pot a few weeks ago. Today, I found the leaves were kind of yellowing and also the new leaves that formed were shrunk in size and kind of curled as though it was burnt or something. I used the 5:1:1 mix but am wondering if this is because of the pot size which might be too big?
    I bought the plant from TT in 2011, they were marked '3 gallon size' when they were sold. But the plant did not seem to look that big.
    Should I put it back to the 10" pot? Or would you suggest me to throw some Ironite or Epsom salt perhaps?
    Thanks,
    Leah

• Alice.Leah
    10 years ago

The new leaves are kind of shrunk in size .

• Alice.Leah
    10 years ago

Here is the pic of my poor molle, I am trying my best to save after loosing the other. I don't know if I will succeed in doing so.

• Alice.Leah
    10 years ago

The same molle pics of last year.

10 years ago

Hi Leah,

The size of your MOO pot looks fine however you Jasminum molle pot looks too large (IMO).
    How did the root ball look when you repotted? Were the roots circling the mix?
    When I repot I shake off as much of the old potting mix as possible and even use my fingers to dig between the roots to remove the old mix. I might also trim roots depending on the size pot I'll be using.
    I then add my fresh 5:1:1 mix and try to pack the mix around the roots as possible (chop sticks are great at helping you achieve this).
    Then I water and grow the plants in filtered light for a couple of weeks before introducing them to more and more sun.
    Let's talk about your pots. Do they have drainage holes that allow the water to drain freely from the bottom or do they have those saucers that pop into the bottom of the pots that don't allow the water to drain freely?
    Do you have a moisture meter to tell when your plants need to be watered?
    Do you tilt your pots to the side after watering to help drain off the perched water level?
    As for you MOO leaves you might want to inspect for any insects and if you see any like spider mites then spray with Neem or insecticidal soap.

Good luck!

Robert

• Alice.Leah
    10 years ago

Thanks Robert for the reply. Regarding the roots of molle, they were loosely circled to the mix, I did see some new rootlets that's what made me feel that she was still alive. I did shake off the old soil before re-potting. My pots have saucers that could have been the reason for my plant present condition.
    I do not tilt the pot after watering cause I didn't have this precious tip before but henceforth I will.
    I will spray the MOO with neem oil lie you said.
    Thank you once again. And one final question I tried to find the answer on the forum but couldn't. What potting mix- goes into a pot for single tuberose variety?
    Does it look like my molle will make it through? Would you suggest me to re-pot in a smaller sized pot?

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.
    Leah

• Tiaree
    10 years ago

That was a very beautiful Maid of Orleans! congrats to such a find. I had one a couple years ago, it did grow in my kitchen window. it did bloom on and off all year and was a funny plant in that it kept "popping off" the flowers after 1-3 days but new ones kept coming.

Itôs very easy to grow, i watered mine about once a week and used a little fertilizer during the growing season.

The dropped flowers i picked up and placed in a small bowl of water. I love the scent! Then all of a sudden (after about 3 years) it died, from what i have no idea. I want to get another one but they are hard to find where i live.

10 years ago

Hi Leah! You're welcome!

I'm using the 5:1:1 mix for my single tuberose that I'm growing in a pot. The leaves don't look that dark green so Kemistry might be right that tuberoses might not like pine bark so much but who knows?
    My other single tuberoses I'm growing in the ground though the dog tends to trample them when she's chasing after squirrels. :(

And yes, I suggest putting your Jasminum molle into a smaller pot and only watering when the soil starts to dry (again a moisture meter is a godsend, takes the guessing out of it). But you can also just look at your leaves as to when the plant needs water. Oh, and of course tilt your pots after watering! ;)

Tiaree,

I hope you find a MOO! If not you can always order a plant online. :) You might also like 'Belle of India' or 'Mysore Mulli' or 'Grand Duke'.

If you do find another jasmine a fun thing to do is pick the fat un-opened flower buds right before they open and float them in a dish of water. The flowers will open up inside and the scent is truly amazing! :)

-Robert

• Tiaree
    10 years ago

I wish they were sold in my country (Sweden) but thereôs a nursery in France that sells it but it cost premium with shipping. At least 50 euros.

10 years ago

I always forget that I can be talking to people from around the world! Sorry it's so pricey in Sweden to get one. You might ask fenius who lives in Greece. She normally knows of good sources in Europe for fragrant plants. :)

-Robert

• Alice.Leah
    10 years ago

I was so delighted to see my Molle giving new shoots when I went out this morning!!! I am so happy! I l assumed I literally killed her, but she here and all set to bloom this year. Thank you Robert, nevertheless, I've learn't more tips from you. The MOO seems to be doing good, she has some buds now.

Leah

10 years ago

That's awesome news, Leah!

I hope both give you lots of blooms to sniff. :)

-Robert

• aaf_479
    9 years ago

I am in San Antonio, TX. Zone 8. I just got a MOO from Lowes. I planted it in the ground in my herb garden. It gets morning and a tiny bit of filtered mid day sun but then it is shaded the whole afternoon. Will this be enough light, too much light for it? The tag says morning sunlight only, but I prefer to ask people who have experience. This is my first. It is pretty big right now and I want to train it up a trellis. Is that ok for this plant? Being in Texas ( I am also new to gardening in texas.) with little to no rain this summer I have it planted in a moisture control garden mix with a very little bit of sand mixed in.
    A

9 years ago

Hi A,

To my knowledge sambac jasmines are hardy to zone 9, not 8 so I don't know if yours will survive the winter in the ground. You could always mulch it heavily and hope that it comes back from the roots.
    I live in Tulsa, OK and my sambac jasmines receive full sun all day. I know they can grow with less sun but I don't know if you'll get as many blooms that way.
    Yes you can train the long branches up a trellis by tying them to the trellis.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

• aaf_479
    9 years ago

Thank you Robert!!