Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seegaye

Anything that wants bugs this badly ain't workin' for me..,

seegaye
9 years ago

They are already back - the ants, sooty mold, etc that were all over my Miami Supreme gardenia which I THOUGHT I had gotten rid of. If this is going to be ongoing, I need to rethink my choice of location for these gardenias. No problem since I have many other areas on my land to place them, but that leaves the areas flanking my front door - where the gardenias are right now - in need of another plant. Fragrant would be nice, but isn't a deal breaker. Has to tolerate part sun / part shade. And nothing that requires constant battle about pests!!! Would tea olives do it?

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

Seegaye,
    Don't move them yet.
    Go on down to HD and buy you a bottle of Organicide.
    One bottle will last, you really dilute it.
    It is totally organic, natural, safe for pets, kids. you, but not for the pesties you are complaining about.
    Spray it real early, or after dinner.
    I bought a spray bottle and just dilute it that way.
    You can use it on alot of plants too, even edibles. so give it a try before you go digging anything up.
    I use it on my tangarine, gardenias, plummies, anything with shiny leaves.
    You can even spray it on your lawn for fleas, and it won't harm your pets at all.
    Good Luck!

• seegaye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay. - I will give it another try. Very frustrating these persistent pests! And so strange that only one of the four gardenias in that area is so affected! Thanks for the encouragement - will give it another chance...

• seegaye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

butterfly4u - I have another question I am hopeful you can answer. I read your profile and it appears you know gardenias :)

These gardenias I have - they are Miami Supremes. From what I read they are fast growers and can get big. Will it affect them adversely if I keep them pruned back to 3 or 4 feet? I can get a smaller or slower growing variety for that location if it will. I have a large yard and several appropriate places to put the Miami's where they can get big. If it IS a better idea to get a slower grower, do you have a suggested variety? I have seen mystery, veitchii, and Aimee upon occasion at the HD garden centers here.

Thanks for the advice - so appreciated!

• User
    9 years ago

Seegaye,
    You can keep them pruned back to what ever size you want. They take pruning quite well.
    Prune immediately after the gardenia stops flowering.
    Don't take more than one third of the shrub off.
    Gardenias set their buds for next years bloom in the summer. If you have a gardenia that blooms all summer, you will have to wait til you are sure it is done.
    You don't want to wait too long, because the buds will be growing and if you cut them off, you will miss a bloom.
    If you want to move them, move them in the fall in your zone. You are warm enough to move them in the month of October, beginning of November, if you mulch well for the winter.
    Any gardenia is going to outgrow that spot. They will jsut keep growing indefinately, so, I think I would leave them where they are and when they are done blooming, I would just cut them down if you want. If it's really really hot, like here in the summer, give them extra water after you prune them real good, that's all.

• seegaye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the info. I was hoping I would be able to keep them where they are so this is good news! If I can get the Organicide to help with the pests then I should be all set! I have pruned them already since it seemed the flowering had slowed. Overdid it a bit on the one - has an odd shape now - but hoping if will fill back in :). Thanks again!!