Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

Is Cananga fruticosa worth it?

Dar Sunset Zone 18
14 years ago

I am considering getting a C. var fruticosa because it is cheaper than C. odorata.

I read that the scent is weak but gets a little better when it turns yellow. I would like to hear some opinions on the fragrance then. Is it a unique scent that is worth getting? How is it compared to Michelia alba?

Comments (13)

• scentednectar
    14 years ago

I hope it's worth it. I bought seeds for that variety which are now in 13 little starter pots. I looked up fruticosa and found it meant extra branchy so I took a chance. I've read that it can take a few months to germinate. Also, that it likes a moist soil.

The normal Ylang-ylang scent is very unique, and I hope this variety isn't missing any of that scent. They use it in Chanel #5 (I think). The clusters of flower petals are yellow. Maybe the scent is weak before that because it's not matured yet?

• scentednectar
    14 years ago

I guess I should mention that the seeds I have are C odoratum var. fruticosa, rather than C fruticosa. Is that the one you mean?

• scentednectar
    14 years ago

From http://www.palmseeds.net/product.detail_27272_en_1502402:
    "It produce purfume whole day long and will be stronger beautiful in the afternoon and evening."
    It sounds like it's pretty fragrant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cananga

• daxin
    14 years ago

I traded my C. o. fruticosa for a regular one after growing it for two years. I just do not like the fragrance, but the plant itself is quite free-blooming. Personally I think Artabotrys hexapetalus is a better alternative with very sweetly fragrant flowers. However, the sense of smell is so personal, you will never know just from all the descriptions and other people's opinions.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Daxin,
    I agree about what you said on sense of smell being personal. However, I know I share common ground with some others. I do know that some people, including myself, cannot stand Cestrum nocturnom and Paper Whites. Very irritating.

I will try out Artabotrys if I am able to find a source. Thanks.

• toval_mac_com
    12 years ago

I bought a C. Fruticosa because it is a dwarf variety (10-15 ft height) and could not have the preferred C. Odorata, which is a very large tree (50 + ft in height) in my garden. The smell of the Fruticosa is a very subtle lemony fragance, mostly felt in the calm of the morning in my area. The flowers are first green in color and will not be fragrant until they turn yellow. It also needs temperatures of 85+ F and humidity, which is no problem in South Florida, where I reside. I regularly visit a botanical garden in my area where they have a huge C. Odorata (Ylang-Ylang) tree and when it is in bloom, the fragance is much stronger and nicer than the Fruticosa I have. It fills the surrounding area with its delicious fragance but there are many more hundreds of flowers on this tree than on my dwarf variety.

I also bought a Michelia Champaca (Joy perfume) which has orange flowers and is not as "delicate" as the Michelia Alba (white). I bought it 2 years ago, and it is now about 8 ft tall. This spring, it flowered for the first time. A few scattered flowers mainly in the lower (older) branches. This fragance is definitely much nicer and stronger than the C. Fruticosa. I cannot wait until it grows more mature and gets full with flowers. This tree has a nice structure (similar to a Christmas pine) and can grow to about 25-30 ft. I planted it just outside the patio so we can enjoy the fragance from inside.

I hope this was helpful.

• mrao77
    12 years ago

Tony,

Could you please let me know the source for your orange chanpaca? I am having a hard time finding anythign other than alba on most sites. TT offers it in a 3 gal, but I cannot afford thier exorbitant prices and shipping charges.
    Thank you
    mrao77

• flowers_galore
    12 years ago

Mrao,

try rareflora.com also called Gardino nursery.

• majestic
    12 years ago

Where can I purchase SEEDS for Cananga fruticosa ? I tried palmseed.com (Thailand), It was so difficult to register or purchase that I gave up. Please e mail info to:
    maestro8780@aol.com Thank you for your time, James.

• Kaulad
    12 years ago

I have almost given up finding some seed of Cananga fruticosa. I live on the Big Island of Hawaii at 1400' and it should do well here.
    Could anyone suggest a source for the seed?
    Thank you in advance for any help.

• Taylorweihe1
    12 years ago

I had a fruitcosa for a few years and loved it for its size and profusion of flowers on such a small plant. If you're looking more for novelty, its the one for you. The fragrance is slightly spicy/lemony, but not too strong. I too think Artabotrys is a much better plant for fragrance though. Plus, they fruit easily and the seeds are very viable. Another good highly fragrant flowering, shade loving vine is Telosma cordata (Pakalana vine). Easy to grow and the flowers smell kind of like Juicy Fruit gum and perfume. Plus they are much easier to find and usually pretty inexpensive. Aloha Tropicals has good quality ones. I just got one in the mail from them a week ago and its doing very well.

• Jose Saloña
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had one, but I regret buying it because the frangance was really too weak... close to nothing... Michelia is a great fragrant plant, it may be the best, that needs acidic soil.