Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daphne Odora sick

Posted by suetj35 WA (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 22:03

I've got a Daphne Odora that has been growing lustily in its raised bed in Seattle for 10 years. It started as a one-gallon pot, and is now about 6'x8' and 3' high. in the past week I've noticed severe browning of leaves, mostly older leaves, but now new growth is starting to get it. The center of the leaf first develops a circular yellowish spot, which then turns brown and spreads until the entire leaf, except the margins has become a dull brown. The brown leaves are scattered all over the plant, and it's getting worse. Any suggestions on saving this venerable and loved plant will be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daphne Odora sick

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, May 21, 08 at 17:50

I suspect either fungus or virus at the roots, which Daphnes are susceptible. You could try a systemic fungicide like Rootshield, and go easy on the watering.

Darrell Trout has an article about growing Daphnes online, do a search for it and you'll get more details; don't give up hope yet!

Good luck,

Jim

o

My Daphne has been going great guns and all of a sudden the leaves are curling and dying (some not all) help!

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
    Fri, May 27, 11 at 16:30

Hmm, I'm not a Daphne doctor (though I play one on TV), but give us more details, please!

In a pot or the ground? Sun? Watering? Change of temps?
I've only grown D. odora for two years, but so far the trick seems to be good drainage, neither over or underwatering, and avoiding too much sun.

Jim

o

My twelve year old Daphne odora always sheds a bunch of leaves in a nasty looking yellow way right after it blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here