Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutplants

Mullai, anyone?

nutsaboutplants
18 years ago

Folks: I'm looking for Jasminum trichotomum. (This is what we call "mullai" in Tamil.) Does anyone where I can find it in the U.S.? If I can find it, I think I can grow it in the ground in South Lousiana, but would like your input on that issue also. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Are you sure you mean jasminum trichotomum and not clerodendrum trichotomum? Can you describe what the plant looks like?

Jim

• vadivupalaniappan
    18 years ago

Hi,
    According to a Chennai horticulturist, Mullai is J.Auriculatum or Molle or Indian Jui. Pictures that I have seen are similar. Good luck.
    v

• hvenkatr
    18 years ago

Yes, Mullai is indeed J. Auriculatum. One of the popular mail order nurseries carries it.. unfortunately, garden web doesn't allow me to post the link due to spam problems.
    Check for tropicalstop in the reverse order top first followed by tropicals dot com and you can order the plant. I think they charge like $10.00 per gallon.

Good luck!

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks folks, but no, it is not J. Auriculatum. I know the flower that goes by Jui. Just to make sure, I checked the pictures of J. Auriculatum, they don't match. Mullai (at least the one that we call mullai in Tamil Nadu) is small, yellowish-white, the petals never open fully, even past the bud stage. The stem is short and is a very pale green. The petals are always semi-erect, with little gap between them. Jui is pinkish white, and the petals open wide.

I appreciate any help you can give me identifyig this plant by the right name, and in finding a source.

• CoolPlants
    18 years ago

I found a Jasminum dichomatum listed on the web. Might it be this?
    kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: jasmine

• CoolPlants
    18 years ago

Might it be something on this website?
    kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Bhatia nurseries

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CoolPlants, thanks for the links. It is not J. dichomatum. On the Bhatia website, J. Multiflorum is the one closest to what I know as Mullai, but I am not certain that it is the same. Perhaps I'll try the multiflorum and see. Thanks again.

• chippi
    18 years ago

nutsaboutplans,

Have you looked up all the jasmines listed on the website of the other nursery which hvenkatr has mentioned?
    Also, there will be some pictures on logees.com that you can look up.

• nutsaboutplants
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Chippi, rvenkatr, thanks. I did try various combinations of the website rvenkatr was trying to communicate to me, but I keep getting error messages. I don't think I guessed the right combination yet. rvenkatr, please email me the link if you don't mind.

I have tried logees, bhatias, and a few other obvious ones, and their pictures don't match (for the ones they have pictures). I'm curious as to why you can mention logees, bhatias, etc., but not the one that rvenkatr unsuccessfully is trying to communicate to me. The gardenweb counterpart of the one-who-shall-not-be-named, for you Harry Potter fans.

Anyway, I'm still looking for mullai, which I belive is Jasminum trichotomum. But I won't insist on the name, as logn as I get the right plant. I appreciate all of your help and suggestions. Thanks all.

• chippi
    18 years ago

nutsaboutplants,

Before my last post, I thought I'll send you an email, but your member page didn't have an email. Today when I saw your new post I thought you might have added it, but for some reason, no member pages show up (gardenweb server serving memberpages are down I think). So, why don't you try this? type top first, then tropicals, then the usual .com. Why don't gardenweb allow their name out here? - because gardenweb was hit with spams.

• hvenkatr
    18 years ago

Yes, I could e-mail either.. shoot me a mail to hvenkatr@hotmail.com .

• mverod26_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hello everyone,
    Can you help me translate mullai into Spanish?
    Thanks,

• nspopcee
    last year
    last modified: last year

Were you successful in finding the Mullai plant?