Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fragrant plant for full sun in Sacramento?

Posted by Karen_B_z9 California (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 22:54

I live in the Sacramento area. I am looking for a small frangrant bush, 3-6 ft for a foundation planting on my house that is facing southeast. It gets many hours of hot afternoon sun and walkway to house entrance goes right by it. Of course, would like a plant that wafts and will provide fragrance for as many months as possible. Thought of some of the everblooming gardenias but am afraid hot summer sun wil be too much. July Aug & Sept most days in middle or high 90s and heat waves go to the 100s. Any ideas??
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fragrant plant for full sun in Sacramento?

How about some sort of cytisus, they don't mind heat/dryness that much, nor does osmanthus fragrans.

o

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, May 9, 05 at 11:02

Check out San Marcos growers; they have a web site full of info about plants that will do well in California climates.

Also, Kartuz greenhouses (www.kartuz.com) is a great source for fragrant plants suitable for your climate.

Specifically, consider oleanders, brunfelsias, jasmines, passionflowers, murreya paniculata, osmanthus, and cytisus/genista, like RisingPower suggested.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Marcos growers

o

• Posted by daxin z9 Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, May 9, 05 at 14:23

Cytisus is perfect for your situation except that it is extremely invasive in California. Why nurseries are still offering them here is beyond me. Osmanthus fragrans will get serious sunburn especially in the seedling stage. You can try mediterranean plants with scented foliage such as lavenders and rosemaries. You can also try roses if you do not mind the work. However, if you would like to try some other exotics such as michelia and boronia, you have to mitigate the afternoon sun situation in some way such as shading or misting. Most of the fragrant plants like it hot but not dry. Hot and humid evenings are the best times for most fragrant plants to show their worth.

o

• Posted by acp123 14 (Sunset) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 17, 05 at 16:27

I'd consider:

Pittosporum (several)
Lavender
Roses (Chrysler Imperial, etc.)
Viburnum (several)

You might also stick with the more standard sun/heat-loving foundation shrubs and bring fragrance in with a vine (jasmine, etc.)

Also, some daylilies are fragrant. They combine nicely with agapanthus to liven up a sunny foundation. Rosemary's another option, though it's the leaves that are fragrant. That might be a great spot for a culinary herb garden with roses and lavender mixed in!

Angela

o

Star jasmine will grow anywhere.

o

My Gardenias in full sun in Dallas TX area do just fine--our temps are high 90's and sometimes 100+.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here