Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Dwarf Mock Orange Philadelphus for Fragrance?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 23:08

Can anyone make any recommendations on the "best"/strongest scented dwarf Mock Orange Philadelphus? Dwarf for me is about 3' x 3', something like that. If you have a mail order supplier to recommend that carries the variety would love to hear about that as well. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Dwarf Mock Orange Philadelphus for Fragrance?

I'm curious to see what responses you'll get. I have Philadelphus 'Snowbelle'. It's a little larger than 3' x 3' (more like 4' by 4'). It takes a few days for the flowers to start pumping out scent but when they do it's awesome. You can especially smell them wafting in the breeze on warm, sunny days.
I might find room for a larger one like 'Innocence' and 'Belle Etoile'. Both are supposed to be highly fragrant (but large).

-Robert

o

Another dwarf that is supposed to be highly fragrant is Philadelphus 'Manteau d'Hermine'. It might be too wide for you (up to 4' or more). You can purchase them through the Collector's Nursery site.

o

wynswrld98,

I have a Philadelphus 'Manteau d'Hermine', I don't know how big it gets, the perfume is nice with a sort of slight pinneapple quality, but it is only lightly scented.

robert1971,

I also have a 'Belle Etoile', but the fragrance doesn't seem very strong compared to my Philadelphus mexicanus. I found this old document here
According to this the Philadelphus coronarius is very strong, I have one, but it hasn't flowered yet so I don't know. My Philadelphus coronarius 'aurea' is very light on fragrance though. Maybe someone else will be know.
Philadelphus 'Beauclerk' was another one that was not strongly scented.
Philadelphus mexicanus is definitely the strongest perfumed Philadelphus I have had the pleasure of sniffing.

o

I just bought a Philadelphus x virginalis 'Dwarf Snowflake'. The blooms are very fragrant when sniffed up close but it is too soon to tell how far the scent will carry in the yard. It is listed as a 3-4' grower. I hope so, I hate it when dwarf shrubs grow twice as large as listed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here