Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momand3kids

Sweet Almond Bush

momand3kids
15 years ago

I am trying to figure out if the Sweet Almond Bush will do well in my front yard, here in the Peninsula area of the Bay area (I'm in Burlingame near the airport). My landscape designer hasn't heard of one in this area. Also, if anyone can give me an idea on the size/shape of what it will look like, that would be helpful. I know it will smell great if it will grow!

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• bahia
    15 years ago

If you are talking about Aloysia virgata, yes it can be grown in the SF Bay Area. Most of the Aloysia species can get pretty big and rangy, and are not the most attractive shrubs in the garden, so I would suggest you use it someplace as a background shrub with enough room, rather than a front of the border year round good looker. Most Aloysia will be only semi-evergreen in winter here, and can also be cut back to the ground if frozen back. Not that often seen in nurseries here in the Bay Area, good luck finding one...

• momand3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your reply; can they be kept attractive if cut back? I was thinking of this kind of up against the side of the house, but it would be in the front of the house, in the back of a bed.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm