Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Almond Bush

Posted by momand3kids CA (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 23:35

I am trying to figure out if the Sweet Almond Bush will do well in my front yard, here in the Peninsula area of the Bay area (I'm in Burlingame near the airport). My landscape designer hasn't heard of one in this area. Also, if anyone can give me an idea on the size/shape of what it will look like, that would be helpful. I know it will smell great if it will grow!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Almond Bush

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 19:48

If you are talking about Aloysia virgata, yes it can be grown in the SF Bay Area. Most of the Aloysia species can get pretty big and rangy, and are not the most attractive shrubs in the garden, so I would suggest you use it someplace as a background shrub with enough room, rather than a front of the border year round good looker. Most Aloysia will be only semi-evergreen in winter here, and can also be cut back to the ground if frozen back. Not that often seen in nurseries here in the Bay Area, good luck finding one...

o
RE: Sweet Almond Bush

Thanks for your reply; can they be kept attractive if cut back? I was thinking of this kind of up against the side of the house, but it would be in the front of the house, in the back of a bed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here