Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

In bloom for May 2009

Dar Sunset Zone 18
14 years ago

I had a choice of buying a gardenia with already open flowers and some that had no flowers open. I chose the later so I can enjoy all of the buds for myself (how selfish of me ^___^). Little did I know I had to wait a full whole month for the already fat buds to open!

Here you go folks, Ms Aimeee Yoshioka....

And Mr. Figo

Comments (8)

• snasxs
    14 years ago

OOoooooooo....ooooh.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Presenting, His Grace, the Duke of Tuscany...found at some Target stores for a little under $7 :D
    The fragrance is FANTASTIC! Very intense up close and much sweeter than Maid of Orleans. I would say this is 2nd on my list of most delicious scents after M. x alba of course. But my list is still small, there is a lot that I have not experienced yet.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very Nice!! I've never see Figo or Tuscany plants before
    ...they are all very pretty!! Thanks for sharing, I can almost smell them on the monitor.

• snasxs
    14 years ago

pug, you don't know Banana Mag? See here - the heaven of banana sweetness:

{{gwi:365108}}

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pug, Grand Duke of Tuscany is a very hideous plant/viny bush. This is not something you would want to showcase in your garden even if it is growing well. LOL. The leaves often look deformed and it is very leggy, quite different from other Arabian jasmines. But the super double flowers and exquisite fragrance make up for all those bad qualities.

snasxs, what a beauty! I wish I was there. The banana shrub has a delicious fragrance like ripe apples and bananas (I personally think it smells more like apples), but unfortunately I find it very weak from a few individual flowers compared to one M. x alba. I would imagine hundreds of M. figo flowers would be awesome. Thanks for sharing the image. (:

• snasxs
    14 years ago

mbo, if your figo have weak scent, something is wrong.
    For a healthy plant, you can detect a flower from down the street. Oh, yes, there are triggers for their scent.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I believe it is more due to my climate (Ontario -- inland valley of So Cal). It is pretty dry and windy here thanks to the Santa Ana winds. And I believe that affects the fragrance of plants to a degree at least. Whenever I go down to San Diego, the air is cooler and more humid and I really do notice fragrant plants more. For example, I can detect the fragrance of a honeysuckle several yards away while in the car at a stop light the other day. It does not smell this glorious in the inland valleys. But still, M. figo is significantly weaker in scent than M. alba from what I notice. But perhaps it could also be genetic difference from a different strain of M. figo I think....?

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks for that picture Snasxs...how beautiful!! I've never noticed them before.

Musa, thanks for the heads up on the Tuscany...I don't like leggy and lanky plants, lol...but the blooms sure are gorgeous!!

Learn something new from this forum everyday! Thanks!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner