Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karijuul

Need name of fragrant 'cane' plant

karijuul
15 years ago

Hi all, I've just found and joined this great forum. I live in south Florida, and I have been looking for a plant for years now, not knowing what it looks like or what it's called, and have just found it! I was at an outdoor cafe and sat right next to a potted one that was blooming, and the next day at Home Depot, saw one, and snatched it up. Unfortunately, it was the only one and didn't have a tag on it. It was next to other plants that looked very similar, but with lighter leaves, and I don't think they were the same as this plant. The tags on the plants said they were a "something" Cane. I googled Cane plants and variations, and it seems to resemble (pretty closely in my uneducated opinion) a Massangeana Cane, but without the light part of the leaf. I now realize my neighbors have a couple that are at least 7 feet high, and the cause for the heavenly scent 4-6 times a year for but a week at night. They have clusters of small white flowers that fall down in almost a grape like fashion. I've searched for fragrant cane plants, but seem to only come up with religious and biblical references. I currently don't have a photo as it's almost midnight, but could certainly take one and post it, if I can. It appears the plant was sold as a houseplant, as it's come with several different smaller plants in the pot with it. I'm in south Florida if that helps at all. I don't want to plant my new precious baby in the wrong spot, so would like to know what it is and how to treat it. Any help or input would be so appreciated! Kari

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm