Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Lilac doesn't bloom

Posted by subrosa PNW8(7)BCCanada (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 1:28

I have had a white lilac in the garden for over five years (two years in pot before). Am still waiting for a bloom. I have talked to other gardeners that have had the same experience. Is this a common problem?
It is healthy; about 6 ft. tall; planted in full sun.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Lilac doesn't bloom

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 12:34

When have you been pruning it? Lilacs bloom on the previous year's growth, so if you're pruning late in the season, there may not be enough time for new buds to form on new growth. I assume you're fertilizing, and sun's not an issue -- perhaps it's time to check with the nursery it came from or a lilac specialty nursery to see if it's an older cultivar that just takes more time to mature?

Jim

o

• Posted by subrosa PNW8(7)BCCanada (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 7:01

Thanks for your reply, Jim. Last year, in desperation, I snipped off a few branch ends. Thought that might scare it into blooming this year but it did not make a difference. It is in full sun, in fertile soil. I apply nutrimulch (local manure enriched mulch product sold by the yard) in the spring but did not apply granular fertilizer because I thought it would stimulate growth rather than bloom.

I received the lilac from a friend who said it was Virginalis. It was either a root sucker or layered cutting. Her shrub blooms very well and is very fragrant.

o

My white lilac absolutely loves chicken manure mixed with epsom salts and some lime.

o

Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely try an application of lime. Lilacs do so well on the prairies and I thought it was due to the cold winter temperatures. Perhaps the alkaline soil of the prairies is also a factor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here