Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The flowers on my gardenia plant are turning brown

Posted by plaz_2008 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 1:53

I have a grafted First Love gardenia plant which was installed 3 months ago. The plant looks great and healthy and has a lot of buds on it which appeared after it was planted. Whenever the flowers start to bloom the flowers look great as they bloom until they get about half size then they start turning brown and die off without ever getting to full bloom. I do not see any signs of insects or disease infestation.

I water the plant with drip irrigation once a week. There are 2 drippers watering the plant for a flow of 2.5 gallons per dripper (total 5 gallons)in 30 minutes every 7 days.

I would appreciate any opinions on what could be causing this problem. My wife insists that I am watering it too much. What do you folks think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Follow-Up Postings:

Post a Follow-Up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The flowers on my gardenia plant are turning brown

Hi plaz, Not an expert here, but in my experience( I live in FL), In my experience with my gardenia, especially when the plant is only three months planted I would water it every other day. My guess is you are not watering it enough, once a week for a plant that is not establish yet and blooming needs more water. Since you are in zone 10 I'm guessing it is also hot where you are. I was always of the assumption that flowering plants need more water. Since you checked for pests, try this and see if it makes a difference. I water mine every other day and the plant is full of buds right now. Good Luck!

Here's an article from University of Florida on Gardenias
The whole article is below.

Irrigation
"Watering during dry periods is necessary for healthy gardenias. Moist soil is essential for successful gardenias. Watering is important because it largely controls the number of flower buds that remain on a plant to maturity. If water stress occurs in a heavily budded plant, many buds will fall before opening. Therefore, while the plant is in bud, large variations in soil moisture should be avoided. Use mulch and avoid cultivation around the base of the plant to help maintain adequate moisture"

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenias (UF)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here