Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenius

Sambac id and unoriginal gardenia trouble

fenius
11 years ago

Ok these are my week's problems,

an unnamed sambac I found in a nursery bloomed and since I'm not yet familiar with them I don't know which is it..Do you think it could be maid of orleans ?

Second, I know it is totally unoriginal but a source of panic nonetheless:

I don't think it's iron deficiency since the veins are yellow too and it happens to the leaves right under the new growth not the older ones so it can't be normal either..I hate life with gardenias..

Comments (15)

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

It looks like a maid of orleans, but the flower is somehow deformed. It should be bigger. I notice my maid of orleans bloom like that when it is under stress or lack of fertilizer, ot has mites under the leaves.

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks olympia,
    mites are a nightmare here every summer indeed, and I can't try harsh measures because of my cat...

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

The flower seems more cupped than my MoO. But MoO flowers can vary especially in the beginning of the season when they are kinda small.
    Dar

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi, fenius, I understand the cat ... I have one too, a mini "tiger" . The other day I let him out loose in the yard, and he ended brought back a mouse and ate it right in front of me. Good kitty!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I personally hope it's an exotic variety (but MOO is nice).
    Just for the heck of it I'm going to go with 'Mali Pikul'. Laugh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kemistry's 'Mali Pikul'

• bunti
    11 years ago

It looks like arabian knights from the leaf structure. MOO leaves have pointed edge. if you look at grand duke or arabian the leaves are kind of round edge. But plant leaves doesn't have pointed edge. From my experience this should be arabian knitghts.

• bunti
    11 years ago

here is Moo Leaf shape with pointed edge.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the answers guys, bunti I noticed the leaves are different from MOO and it kind of looks like arabian nights in fact the flowers are definitely bigger now and not cupped -I will post another more representative picture soon.
    I love the scent, too. Robert the mali pikul from dhan is about to flower too but it's not similar to my unknown, neither is his mysore mulli..

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Hopefully it will be Arabian Nights or some other awesome cultivar! ;)

• User
    11 years ago

Fenius,
    Use just a drop of regular Dawn dishwashing soap in a spray bottle on the pics that you think there is a problem with.
    if you look closely at the pic there are small brown spots
    on the leaf, spray the plant and under the leaves with the soapy water. Wait 4-5 days and see if you need to spray again. i think that might help.

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok this is how the strange sambac blooms now:

I concluded it must be arabian nights, any objections???

As for the yellow gardenia, it finally yellowed and shed everything and now it is just making new leaves and small branches... I don't understand gardenias at all, but this year I only lost my gardenia brighamii after all..

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

If that is a 'Yellow Gardenia', I feel your pain!

I would say I am pretty good at growing some of the hardest plants up here, even gardenia, but my yellow one did the same thing then died. My second try at it did the very same thing! I think this one needs an entirely different environment that most of us can not provide.
    The watering is not the issue in my case and neither was the mix. Pain in the but, right? I am done with this cultivar.lol

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No mike this was not "Yellow Gardenia"!!It was only yellow :-)) It is gardenia vietnamensis and hopefully will still hang in there for a while.. Which one is the Yellow Gardenia??

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi! remember my yellowing gardenia?? It lost all leaves and I was about to throw it away but it came back in the last two months!!
    Here it is now:

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Wow, What a differences 4 months makes. Fenius, your Gardenia is all green and healthy now. great job.