Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ordphien

Blooming in June!

ordphien
9 years ago

I started one!
Some of you may remember a zygopetalum orchid I posted a while back when I bought it.
Well I managed to rebloom it!
Great fragrance. Very strong sweet hyacinth type smell. Crisp and clean though. No musk.
I can smell it from the bottom of my stairs and even my backyard!

This post was edited by Ordphien on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 6:59

Comments (69)

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Finally...after a 2 year wait:

{{gwi:797578}}

{{gwi:797579}}

I'm loving its fragrance more and more and more. : ))

• kandhi
    9 years ago

lovely blooms, congratulations! How tall is your plant, do you bring it indoors during winter?

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Amazing everyone!,,,

I think I lost my alba to a disease. So discouraging. It was a disease that came with the plant. I saw it all over the mother plant when I went to the nursery to ask a question about. It's a disease within and nothing topical or systemically can teat it. I pray it will come back. It's completely bare now.

Every time a little new growth starts to show, it rots off. Terrible

Mike

• kemistry
    9 years ago

That is terrible Mike. I'm now officially can't live w/o this plant. I'm totally in love with its fragrance! : )))

Kandhi, it's about 5 ft tall; it stays indoors Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall... all year lol : ) It dropped a few buds last month .. probably because of not getting enough sun, other than that, it seems pretty happy.

• kandhi
    9 years ago

Kemistry, Indoors always.. why? Don't you get the spider mites problem maintaining it indoors, I always look for reasons to move my plants outdoors.. Anyhow, your plant looks very healthy and I hope it gives you more blooms. My M.alba in 4ft and is happy outside and am looking forward for more blooms this year. What fertilizer do you use, the leaves look very healthy?

• kemistry
    9 years ago

I use Foliage pro. I'd love to move it out but I'm currently living in an apartment so there really is no choice. But gotta work with what you have. I do find spidermites but I've stopped obessing over them. I leave them be unless there is a huge infection (i'm lazy, lol!), but so far so good. : ))

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Congrats Kem. Its always nice to hear of someone else enjoying Alba.

• User
    9 years ago

Kemistry,
    That is certainly a beautiful Alba.
    I absolutely LOVE that look, the dark large leaves,
    and you are hooked on the fragrance too,
    hmmmm, your a bad influence.
    Looks like I'll be shopping for an Alba.

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. : )) Butterfly, you do need one! He he he. The first time I sniffed an alba was at my friend's house...xmas.. some years ago. it had only 1 bloom and i kept on going back to the tree to sniff it. I liked the fragrance then, but wasn't ga ga over it like I am now. Lol.

My mom said back in the days when she was a young girl, she remembers a michelia alba perfuming a street's block at night. This was also another reason I got the plant.

This post was edited by kemistry on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 13:55

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Butterfly, I'm with you on that! If mine does nothing between now and JUly, I'll be getting another too..Mine was so beautiful last year..It's the plant I miss the most..

The thing is, WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN TO ORDER ONE ONLINE?

I would never go back to where I got my last one considering thei huge tree is infected with something..

Kemistry..Thank you )))) Your tree does look amazing and for grown indoors to boot! Wow

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Ok guys and gals..I just did it..

I spent a whopping 79 dollars including shipping in that price I didn't have on another Alba..lol

I figured if I am always working my behind off, never buy myself ciggarettes, drink, I spend no money on bad vises, no one ever buys me anything, at least most of the time, I care for my parents and charge them nothing to stay with me, haven't bought myself anything in quite sometime, and worked overtime, I deserve it right?

Just trying to feel better about spending that kind of money before I puke....Me and my sudden impulses..

And I have spent more money on a meal for two just to see in go down the toilet the next day...

You only live once...I think that's enough excuses to make me feel a bit better about it...

Thanks Kemistry...ha

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 16:23

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Mike. I think you are correct. I only justify myself before a purchase; once it is done I no longer think about it since the money is gone.. that means it is no longer my money. Ha. Lol :p

Congrats on your Alba! Yay!

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Lovely blooms Kem. I like your gardening philosophy :-)

Mike congrats, good to see you're not giving up on tropicals ;-)

Here is sort of Stock, I believe. It has sort of sweet, candy-ish scent.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are making me want an alba now! Lol.

How short can you keep them in pot culture?

My brunfelsia. I think it might finally be settling in.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Good for you Mike. I have the same philosophy, my vices can be worse lol.

Ordphien, I maintain mines at 6 feet and thats including the height of a 12 gal pot. Mines been in there for years. It doesnt need to be huge to bloom well unlike Champaca. You most likely can trim it smaller than that, it blooms on new wood anyways and will send more off shoots from the trunk or older branches.

• Tina_n_Sam
    9 years ago

Kemistry, your Michelia leaves are very green, lush, and healthy looking. And, here I am so exciting by my one bloom. You may remember I bought the plant around July 4th last year. Hmmm maybe I'm going to have to try that fertilizer...

Mike, congrats! Nothing wrong with being good to yourself.

-Tina

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

OK.. Hello everyone!!!

A friend emailed me to suggest that I buy a Michelia Alba!!

I have never seen one nor have i had the pleasure of smelling one..

Mike... May I ask where you ordered yours from? I have to give it time before another package arrives.. I'll wait until I'm on vacation so I can cut off the FedEx guy!!!

kemistry.. I love Foliage Pro too!!

I know I'm missing out on this beauty, but I don't know where to start to look! I think Logees is a place, but I think that someone might say to avoid them? Not sure... I appreciate any advise!!!

I need to share this pic of my Penang Peach Plumeria blooming ... It's a beauty!!!

Thanks everyone!!

Laura

• kandhi
    9 years ago

Laura, Penang peach, I am really looking for one of these too, Dave in NOVA alwasy raves about this one, Too expensive to get from CA growers.

Michelia Alba, I got it from rareflora, they ship healthy decent size plants for reasonable price. I am always happy with purchases from them. If you ask them to add you to their waiting list they will call you when they are available. Always go for a grafted M.Alba so that you can enjoy the blooms sooner. In your area you can easily grow this without any problem in pots. Logees is reputable but their plant sizes are very small.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Kemistry..Too funny!! I find myself doing this quite often..lol I think most of my hard earned money is invested in my plants first, then the house..

True..Thanks and such a pretty plant..

Musa...lol..Yup, we are all addicted, I think..

Ordphien..LOVE LOVE LOVE the Brunfelsias..Always will too.. NIce.Get the Alba>>You only live once they say...ha

Tina....That;s right..Thank you. I'll keep everyone posted when I get it..Should be here Monday.

Hello Laura! Have you finally landed somewhere to find soem time to be here? I hope so.lol

Gee, that plumie looks scrumptous! Looks lso sweet to me..Man, I wish I could grow them here(
    Oh Laura, you without an Alba??! And you thought you loved Plumeria..These tree will knock the socks off your feet in the most delicious scent you ever smelled...Oh how I miss mine when it bloomed last year, before a disease took hold...It's the only thing that filled the year up for more than a couple of months every morning..I miss it.

I ordered mine from 9greenbox...They have always sent me nice plants, thius far..
    You could also try T... Tropicals, but their shipping is more expensive, plants high grade!You can always text me for the for the full name of this place..

MIke

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

I ordered a 2nd plant in Fall of 2011 from Logee's and it was grafted and good size at about 1ft. What really mattered though was the trunk size as the thicker has more potential to produce fast growth when conditions are ripe. The plants they send are good for the price.

Here is it this morning.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Also a flower from my other plant this morning...
    I have two because they have erratic blooming. One can be blooming in the middle of winter while the other one isnt.

This post was edited by musaboru on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 10:30

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Musa!!! My God!

That is where I got mine about 3 years ago and after two years it has almost croaked..Wish me luck!

I have had to cut mine way back and lost branches besides..I am seeing little nub growth and praying they don't die off as they grow..Sheesh...MIne would of been even bigger than yours if I had no issues with it..So depressing and yet I am happy for you.

MIke

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Nice! I didn't start tuberose this year; I need to do that next year : ))

Musa.. wow that's a pretty compact alba.. I will trim mine down once it's done blooming then.

Tina.. yup, I do remember your m alba's purchase! : )

Congrats on ur Belle true-blue. Do you like its scent? Mine has only 2 blooms on it right now but wow the smell is so strong . : )

Hi Laura! Hi Ordphien! Hi Mike! (Where is Robert? Lol)

Here is something new for me:

Pua keni keni ... only 1 flower but wow so fragrant. It has a spicy jasmine-like smell, also reminds me a bit of daphne.

• misha74
    9 years ago

Kemistry, that's a wonderful fagrea. I'm delighted by scent description. How tall and old is your plant? Do you keep it indoors all the time?

• chubite
    9 years ago

Kem....

Not again...lol..you always tempted me w/ your beautiful plants..yet you n musaboru know how brown my thumb is :P
    ( Trying so hard not to go to a website to buy it)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Kemistry...STOP...lol You're killing me..Now I have to google that plant and your forgot to tell us where you got it..lol

AWesome folks.....Hello to all..I was thinking of Robert..

Robert, you ok? I'll bet you are in the garden from sunrise until sundown and beyond and you will be back when the cold hits again..lol

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

ok. I'm screewed!!

I searched google, e-bay and and T..Tropicals, and nothing...lol Another plant I can only dream of having...lol

MIke

• chubite
    9 years ago

Mike,

Kem got it from vintage green farms and it's only $10 and they send a good size of plant because I bought and killed it last year:P

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage green farms

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Hi Mike, I love Vintage Green Farms; their plants are huge and also really cheap : ))

Misha74.. yes it's indoors; still in its original 4" pot that came with it since last year... i want to repot but having to wait until it's done blooming : ) The plant is around 2 ft... large leathery leaves that are dark green; reallly nice plant even when it's not blooming.

Hi chubite.... nice to see you on here again! : )

This post was edited by kemistry on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 16:28

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

loloo.l I did it! O, I just oredered it as we speak thanks to you awesome folks and the shipping wasn't bad either..Just 16 bucks..

Now I can't wait to get my hands on it and grow one of these..

Um, I had to turn away from that place, God forbid I put myself in a hole on this one..I almost saw all those beautiful fragrant plants they had to offer, but I forgot what they were thank goodness..

By the way..I never told you guys what I saw at my local nursery!!
    HUGE HUGE Duke Jasmines for only 16.99 in 2 gallon pots...I had to restrain myself by reminding myself I'll never be able to provide all the sun and heat to keep one going..lol

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 19:22

• ordphien
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are terrible lol.

Another carnation from the Fragrance pack bloomed.
    Cute and striped.

This one is powerful. I actually found it by smell first.
    Great carnation fragrance.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Kem, I loved the scent. There are more blooms on the way! Love that Pua keni keni.

Musa lovely alba.

kandhi, that tuberose should be intoxicating. Love that pure white flower.

Ordphien lucky you. My Sweet Williams from seed finally flowered, this year. I'm not that impressed yet. But I like the flowers.

Mike I miss Robert too. I'm sure he's busy with his brugs :-)

My mock is in full bloom, I believe it's snowbelle cultivar.

Doesn't waft yet.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Elderberry flowers (Sambucus nigra).

Dramatic black leaves.

Anise smelling flowers.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Rosa alba semi-plena, flowering for the first time, after being planted last year.

Delightful old rose scent.

Cheery flowers.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Hi guys!

I've been spending all my time outside like Mike said and I'm still obsessed with brugs just like True Blue said. You guys know me well. :)

I've had lots of fragrant beauties blooming lately. Tonight I came home and could smell the 'Satisfaction' lilies before I came into the backyard.
    It's one of my favs for scent. Not too spicy. Sorta reminds me of rosewood? It's as tall as me.

-Robert

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Lovely Lilly Robert. Don't deny us of your beauties ;-)

Here is one of my Sweet Williams. Nothing like Ordphien's. But maybe the temps and humidity aren't right yet....

• ordphien
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today I noticed my mystery gardenia is blooming.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True. My sweet Williams don't smell much either. They certainly don't waft.

On a side note I smelled my first alba today. Very cool but I'm not sold on the fragrance. Maybe if they weren't so expensive.

Smells like melon hi-chew.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And finally. A nice little compact cattleya.
    Just bought it.
    Lc. Green Veil 'Dressy'
    Smells like.... a nobile dendrobium.
    Everyone I know loves this fragrance. I personally think it smells of mustard.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 16:48

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

You might want to avoid Magnolia coco Ordphien. Its like the force of a hundred Alba flowers in one, releasing the melon scent in a concentrated form. Its good ar a distant, but sniffing it up close is like sticking your nose into a bottle of nail polish remover.

J4 and Singapore plumeria, M. coco and Chuck Hayes

In the past I have rated Singapores scent has very light, but lately it is starting to be more noticable from 5 ft away on a breeze yet its very subtle. It has a lemon like scent, similar to that of Aglaia.

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Here is a Pink Pansy. This plant is a gift from a friend 2 years ago. It smells pretty strong indoors; a sweet smell of peach and coconut : ))

9 years ago

Beautifull JL Pink Pansy!!

Musa. Gorgeous!!

All of these beauties are wonderful . Thanks for sharing everyone!!

Here is Xquisite from Jungle Jacks nursery in Vista CA.

Have a good day!!

Laura

• ordphien
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice plumeria! Mine are still making leaves. First year of full Sun though.

My Arabian Jasmine bloomed.

9 years ago

My Gardenia opened this morning!!!!

Wish I knew the real name, but it will always be named from my mother as " Old Fashioned"

Night!!!

Laura

• User
    9 years ago

M. grandiflora...not sure of the cultivar.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Laura, what in the world do I have to do to even get buds on mine? It's beautiful!!

Njoasis..Very nice !
    + You guys are all killing me...Just when I thought I was done buying, I have another reason to spend..lol

I really want that Coco Magnolia....Thank god no one is selling them.lol

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hello all....Ok. Here are some of my fragrants finally...

I am bad with names but hopefully you will notice a few.

{{gwi:93088}}

{{gwi:93090}}

Weston Innocence Azelea..Favorite

{{gwi:93091}}

An Orchid..Sweet!!

{{gwi:93092}}

Roses

{{gwi:93096}}

Honey Suckle...Whew!

{{gwi:93094}}

Favorite Annual..Petunia Blue sweet!
    {{gwi:93086}}

Jasmine

Yellow Gardenia..

{{gwi:93097}}

Citrus

{{gwi:93089}}

Reminds me of summer by a pool side..

{{gwi:93098}}

Here's one of my buddies keeping watch...

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Wow Mike! You could have added your M. Alba's bud too ;-)

• ange2006
    9 years ago

Potato flowers are surprisingly fragrant. It reminds me of baby powder.