Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

California Sunset Plumeria

Thanks to Kemistry's enabling nature I now have 3 plumerias. ;)

All three are from Jungle Jack's Plumerias: 'Inca Gold', 'California Sunset' and a 'Jack's Premium White'.

I've only smelled the 'California Sunset' and that's only because it was in bloom at the nursery (though my 'Inca Gold' that I bought last year does have a flower spike developing).

'California Sunset' smells amazing. Like fresh peach fuzz and maybe coconut scented tanning oil? It's definitely an exotic scent like nothing in my collection of fragrant plants.

I wanted to share some knowledge I gleaned from the kind folks on the Plumeria forum.

My biggest mistake was repotting my plumerias into terra cotta pots the first thing after bringing them home (they were top heavy and I knew the wind would blow them over in their plastic pots).

Well when I removed them from their nursery pots the soil ball pretty much collapsed since it was mostly perlite. I did my best to keep the roots intact and shoved them into their clay pots. So far they seem fine but of course I'm worried about them.

A grower told me he keeps his in their nursery pots for a year before repotting.

Also for those in search of the highly scented 'Scentsational' Plumeria if you come across some Jungle Jack's 'Premium White' plants look for FW written on the trunk. I bought one hoping it would turn out to be 'Scentsational' (Kemistry told me about this one, supposed to smell like gardenias, tuberose, Stargazer Lily, etc. Many growers say it's the most scented variety). Alas I got one with KW on the trunk which turned out to be 'Ken's White'. It's not as strongly scented as 'Scentsational' however it's supposed to be much easier to bloom (mine has a flower spike on it).

So thanks to Kemistry I'm now addicted to plumerias. Like I needed more fragrant plants. :)

-Robert

California Sunset

Comments (8)

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Wow, that's a gorgeous picture of the blooms! They look almost..edible! lol.

(Cannot wait to hear about your Vera Cruz and/or Scentsational ;) ..)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're terrible, Kemistry! :)

Well I broke down and ordered a 'Celadine' from Almost Eden.
    It's the favorite for scent (lemon/citrus/true Frangipani scent) by lots of Plumeria nuts.
    Ugh. My partner is gonna kill me (unless it blooms soon). Ha!

-Robert

• chubite
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,
    My suggestion is to get a plumie stenopetala then...
    It's very strong and I recommend this over singapore obtusa in term of fragrance strength...
    It smells like a strong floral but without the headache of reg gardenia scent..

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Chubite!
    I've never heard of this one. Beautiful star shaped flowers that are supposed to smell like gardenias? I'm intrigued. ;)

-Robert

• chubite
    11 years ago

Seriously Robert it's a very strong fragrant.
    And as for me who thinks CA sunset is moderately fragrant IMHO, I think you will be pleased if you have it.
    Will update you if mine will come with buds since I asked Florida colors to get me the one with inflos..lol..
    Last year they sent me with a spent flower and 1 bud which that's why I can tell you based on my experience it's truly fragrant.
    Right now I have about 20 smth plumies that suppose to be fragrant at least in its description...along with other regular fragrant plants.
    Will update you on others if it blooms.
    Right now only HA dupree that has inflos and I can give you the report about the scent in about 2 weeks or more when it blooms.

PS: Thanks for the thumbs up for FW marking on scentsational JJ prem white...Hopefully I will get one this yr.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Okay this plumeria talk makes me want to get one too! lol. Vera Cruz Rose.. Scentsational.. etc. etc. so many choices ;)

(Chubite! Good to see your posting!)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Chubite,

I appreciate all the info you can give me! I'm an absolute plumie newbie. ;)

I don't think 'California Sunset' has a strong scent either. I was just thrilled to detect any pleasant scent from the plumerias at a local nursery. :)
    What are your thoughts on 'Celadine'? That's on its way.
    I would love it if you shared your scent thoughts on all your plumerias.

Now I'm ready to ditch my 'Inca Gold' for a P. stenopetala! ;)

-Robert

• chubite
    11 years ago

Robert,as I told Kem here's my experience on sniffing them.
    Some can be a bad batch or not right condition, so take it with a grain of salt.

The ones that I think is truly super strong is Celadine and Stenopetala for now.

I sniffed Celadine in SE Asia a yr ago and it's really truly strong. Very citrusy and powerful. I don't remember it wafts but I do remember took 1 flower and when you inhale it, it's very fragrant for a plumie flower.
    When I sniffed one flower, I understand why people plant plumies in cemeteries in Asia...lol...
    Well it's not as strong as tuberose league standard but it's more like sambac league strong standard IMO.
    Then again what I sniffed is an old tree in a humid, tropical environment so I guess the weather contributes to the scent.

Stenopetala I told you based on my experience last year it's strong too. That's why I need a replacement this year..lol

I sniffed S'pore this April also in Asia but I don't think it's strong enough and Bali Whirl too.
    Then again maybe I sniffed a bad batch and I only sniffed those once, plucking them right from the tree..lol

If I compared those 3 and those 3 I sniffed in SE Asia so they're truly a tree in high humidity and tropical weather, Celadine is the strongest for sure.

I have a Bali Whirl and it never bloom...so other than the one that I smelled in Asia once, never smell Bali Whirl again. Will update you mine ever blooms, OK?

For now I can tell you that only those 2 that meet strong for plumies standard based on my own experiences.

The other ones I have are still a stick..lol..so can't update you on that until they're bloom.

PS: Why don't you find FW prem white again and maybe "Delightful" cuz JJ website said delightful scent is strong perfume( which the reason why I got it)?

From JJ website
    Incredible 3-4â pink white that belongs in every collection. Strong bloomer with a great form and incredible scent. One of our best.
    Growth habit:: semi-compact
    Scent : Strong perfume

My delightful is still a stick with 2 leaves...so can't wait for it to bloom.
    From all my 3 JJ purchase last yr (Scent, CA sunset and Delightful), only delightful survives.
    Sad isn't it?sigh..

and yes do ditch inca gold for stenopetala if you want plumie for fragrance..lol..

Or do you want to add Engel too, which I got along with my 2nd Stenopetala because it's stenopetala seedling with Pudica and suppose to be fragrant too?

@Kem...please put some grow light so your Celadine will grow and keep it until it has a flower, ok? Then you can decide to ditch it or not..lol..