Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jasmine sambac-- salt problems?

Posted by schiang68 z6 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 12:05

Hi! Does anyone know if jasmine sambac is sensitive to salt? I have a sambac that did great last summer (indoors, too), and I dutifully pruned it and cut back on fertilizing over the winter. The plant seems to have overwintered fine, but...

A lot of the leaves have remained yellow even as the plant has gotten more and more sunlight. It has even put out a few new shoots and flowers. However, I suspect my local tap water of having a fairly high salt content, and I'm wondering if it's accumulated to too high a level. I have to flush my potted dwarf citrus periodically, so maybe the jasmine needs it as well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jasmine sambac-- salt problems?

Take some water to your local Co-operative extension agency. They can give you the PPM of salt.(the town water supplier should have this too) Really, if it would bother your plants, it shouldn't be that healthy for you to drink.
Maybe time to invest in a faucet filter.
kevin

o

• Posted by usha z8AZ,Nscottsdal (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 13:08

I suspect that it needs iron. In AZ, we have very alkaline soil and J.sambac thrives in ground. My susp is that when the PH is very alkaline then iron becomes less available to plant. so we use iron and epsom salt periodically to our plants.

o

Is there any particular form in which iron should be supplied? Thanks!

o

I would love to know the answer to that question too, schiang68. I bought Schultz Bloom Plus 10-54-10, with chelated iron, managnese and zinc and have been using that. So far so good, but then again I've only been using it for almost 1 month. Will this be suitable for my sambacs? I have Maid of Orleans, Confederate(although not a sambac) and Belle of India. Thanks,

GH

o

• Posted by chaman U S east coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 14:00

Use chelated iron which you can buy from near by nursery. This will help the roots to absorb oxygen and help the growth.
Follow the instruction on the packet.
Once the plant shows healthy growth feed some phosphate.

o

• Posted by usha z8AZ,Nscottsdal (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 20:59

yes. Chelated iron you can buy anywhere incl HD etc. Once or twice a year add epsom water which helps with absorption of the nutrients.

o

I flushed the pot with excess water and then gave it iron. Updates to follow when (and if) any visible changes occur. Thanks for all the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here