Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scentless Nicotina?

Posted by heavenscent 7b Atlanta (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 12:21

Hi all~

I finally planted some Nicotina seeds this spring and waited patienty to smell those wonderful blooms I have heard so much about. My first blooms opened and there is no smell! Has anyone had any experience with this? Did I do something wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Mandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scentless Nicotina?

some do have strong fragrance and some don't. also, i notice that mine are not fragrant until from early evening on into the night. probably has something to do with their pollinators being nocturnal.
n. sylvestris is very fragrant but most of those various colored nicotiana plants (possibly hybridized for color and compact form) i see in garden centers are not fragrant.
which type did you plant?

o

I have also noticed the fragrance on mine starting at night fall. I swear, as a non scientific person, for some reason I detect more fragrance with this plant on the almost full moon or full moon nights. Maybe I think I do anyway.

o

I too notice Nicotiana has more scent once the sun sets..and on cloudy days..They're incredible in fall months, too..Which Nic's did you buy? I find the most fragrant are Only the Lonely, which are the tallest of Nic's..I buy seeds and sow directly in the ground..they can grow up to 6' tall, and are really fragrant..
I also notice white flowers are more fragrant than other colors..same goes for white-flowered Petunias..which also thorw out fragrance at night..Toni

o

Thanks for the responses. I bought the plants from seed and I do not still have the packet...stupid of me. I yanked them out once I knew there was no scent as I am not a fan of their form.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here