Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

My Aglaia odorata finally bloomed!

I decided to go home at lunch instead of plant shopping like I normally do and I'm so glad I did! I've noticed the tiny yellow flower buds forming on my Chinese Perfume Plant so this afternoon I stuck my nose up to them and smelled the clean, sparkling lemony scent just like Ispahan has described. I'm in love with the scent and so happy and grateful for this forum for introducing me to awesome fragrant plants.

It was lightly sprinkling so the humidity was high and it was around 80 degrees so I'm sure that had something to do with the power of the scent.

I purchased it from Pepper's Greenhouses earlier in the spring and thought I'd be 60 before I got any blooms from my tiny plant. Kemistry assured me that I wouldn't have to wait that long and he was right!

-r

Comments (11)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My friend thinks it smells like limoncello. :)
    Roy Genders in 'Scented Flora of the World' states the following: 'Said to be the most exquisitely scented of all flowers, like vanilla but with spicy undertones'.
    My nose is not so refined. I'm agreeing with my friend and going with lemon shots.

-r

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    12 years ago

It does have a beautiful scent, doesn't it? To my nose, only Chloranthus spicatus can rival it when it comes to refinement and purity of scent.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Since I adore the scent I told myself that I had to have another one, right? :)
    I found one on Amazon however I was skeptical from ordering plants on Amazon since I normally go through mail order nurseries. I was very surprised by how large the plant is that I received from 9GreenBox today. 2ft tall!
    I was worried when I received an email notification that it was shipped on a Friday before a holiday (4th of July) however I received the plant a week later and it appears to be in good condition with lots of blooms (most plants ordered from mail order nurseries arrive in 2 to 3 days, not a week).
    It smells wonderful. So much so that a black swallowtail and a hoverfly came to the plant minutes after I removed it from the box!
    So if you're looking for a large Chinese Perfume Plant at a cheap price check out 9GreenBox on Amazon!

-Robert

• xmikelx
    12 years ago

hi robert thanks for info i have been looking for this plant.

Original Author
    12 years ago

You're welcome! Hope you get a good one! :)

• kemistry
    12 years ago

This is my aglaia:
    {{gwi:798218}}

{{gwi:798219}}

I'm in love with it! Thanks to Robert I was able to get one before they ran out.

• kimka
    12 years ago

I got an Aglaia odorata this summer specifically because I'd heard about its fragrance. It came into bloom this week with lots of little yellow balls, but no fragrance at all. I'm so disappointed.

I've heard there are really two Aglaia odorata strains around--one with fragrance and one without. How do you tell the difference if what you are buying isn't in bloom? Any body have an extra one with fragrance they want to sell?

• daxin
    12 years ago

The common everblooming Aglaia odorata is a small-leafed variety (A. o. var. microphylla). It is shrubby and usually stays under 6' even in the tropics. The original once blooming species is a small tree that can get to 20' tall with much larger leaves (up to 2" versus 1/2" for the small-leafed variety). It sounds like you have the everblooming variety, but the strength of the fragrance greatly depends on ambient air temperature. Plus individual flowers do not carry as much essential oil as other powerhouses such as Cestrum nocturnum. Let your plant get bigger and give it as much sun as it could tolerate (it is a full sun plant when mature). Also do feed it regularly with fish emulsion and phosphates. Summer afternoons will be very memorable with wafts coming off of a big Aglaia odorata.

• jimshy
    12 years ago

Good tip about fertilizing, daxin! My aglaia bloomed twice this spring, but has not budded out this summer, though it's soaking up the heat and humidity here in NYC and, like you said, can take a fair amount of sun. Now where's that kelp extract?

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hello everyone! Hope you are all having a great Friday.

I find that whaffs a strong fragrance especially on sunny warn mornings or very humid ones.
    It looses it STRONG fragrance by mid afternoon, or, or, every time I let someone else smell it.lol

It sort of reminds me of my Honeysuckle Vine. You have to be up early to get a good beautiful whiff of that and usually towards the evening if humid.

Beautiful plants! They are very vigorous growers. I am thinking about trmming mines and trying to root the cuttings. Right now, it's loaded with blossoms. Usually all year most months.

Mike