Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa_2008

Magnolia Michelia figo identification help, please

theresa_2008
15 years ago

I bought the shrub two years ago and it was labeled Michelia figo. It was either bought from green thumb or armstrongs, but I can't remember. It is planted in the ground and gets morning and early afternoon sun during the summer. The shrub is now about 6' tall, very healthy and blooming. My confusion relates to the flowers, which are not like the figo at my old house. I've gone online to try to identify it, but haven't found a match. I would sure love your help.

Just in case the picture link does not attach, here's a description:

The mature flower size is only 1/2-1" wide. The flowers buds are not enclosed in a fuzzy brown shell. The flowers are all facing down. The buds begin green, then turn creamy yellow. When the flower opens the petals are white/creamy white. There is no red, purple or any shade in between on the petals. There are five petals and they do not recurve; the petals remain cupped. The flowers do have a beautiful sweet smell, but not really like bananas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a link to the pictures on my picasa album.

Comments (3)