Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me fill these beds!

Posted by jxbrown z11/24 SD CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 14:34

We have just moved up to Orange county. The new house has an atrium (i.e. very sheltered) with planting beds on three sides. I put some star jasmine in yesterday because I love the scent and was charmed by the way the atrium concentrates the scent and reflects it through the house. I would like to fill the atrium with scented flowers. Right now the beds have uninspired, termite gas damaged plantings. What would you plant?

Beds:
3'Dx5'W shade all day
2'Dx10'W shade all day - needs low growing
2'Dx16'W sun most of day - would be good spot for trellis
4'Dx6'W morning sun
4'Dx3'W morning sun has attractive double flowered red camellia

Plenty of room for large pots. I currently just have kitchen herbs, but of course when the sun hits the thyme, that certainly counts as fragrant too!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me fill these beds!

Cleveland Sage has fragrant leaves and flowers. The flowers are blue and it blooms from May until ?? August???.

o
RE: Help me fill these beds!

Little Honey Hydrangea (grows 3' by 3') - may be hard to find
Irene Watts - Light pink blooms, small, China Rose
Rose de Rescht - Purple-red blooms, small, Damansk Perpetual /Portland Rose
August Beauty Gardenia (or Everblooming Gardenia, Mystery Gardenia)
Eleanor McCown Camellia (6-8' tall)
Lavender - take a pick, almost any variety sold locally should work for you
Madagascar Jasmine (slow growing, fragrant, tropical vine, can reach 15' if not pruned)
Dwarf Cherry Laurel
Irises
Daylillies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here