Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions please: Fragrant plants for front yard

Posted by gmanar none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 15:06

Hi All,

We moved into our first home this march. Now that the dust has kind of settled ... I am looking to work on the front yard. It is not too big, I have about 35' X 3' space where I am planning to put some nice flowering plants.

I love fragrant plants with some decent sized flowers - I am not a big fan of very small flowers (but If they are in bunches then it is fine). Also I am looking for something hardy for zone 7 (charlotte, NC). Also any perennials would be great. And i am planning to plant them in ground.

So all in all -
1. Fragrant flowers for the front of the house (prettier the better)
2. mid to large size flowers
3. hardy for zone 7 (charlotte NC)
4. Perennials (preferred)
5. less maintenance and non-invasive.

Any suggestions please. I am struggling to find any.

Thanks and regards
G

This post was edited by gmanar on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 15:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions please: Fragrant plants for front yard

Hi G,

There aren't that many fragrant perennials for your zone however there are some.
Peonies and lilies are classics that come to mind.
I personally have always been curious about gas plant (Dictamnus fraxinella purpureus) however I know me and I'll want to move the poor things around and they have tap roots and hate having their roots disturbed. ;)

Of course if you consider shrubs then there's plenty of roses, mock oranges, lilacs and Viburnum carlesii hybrids to choose from.

Here's a link from from Fine Gardening that would be a good start.
You might also want to check some books out from the library.

Good luck!

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: fragrant perennials

o

Thanks so much Robert. Now I have some material to read on and look.

I think I will do some roses and some lilies .

Thanks again!
G

o

You're welcome!

I love the spicy clove like scent of 'Casa Blanca' lilies and lots of people on this forum like the nearly thornless climbing rose 'Zephirine Drouhin'. It's supposed to smell awesome! :)

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here